Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

New games section of the home page

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 4:00pm

thedawgboy

thedawgboy

6 posts

Hey, guys, is there a way to get the "new games" section to actual display the new games, again?

For right now, it is just pushing popular games, and there are four separate other ways to find popular games throughout the site.  There was only one way to find the newest and freshest games on the site, and it is now broken.

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 4:11pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,437 posts

It lists new and popular new games. Less popular ones are taken off and more popular ones stay on longer. It doesn't make as much sense to keep a lowly rated new game on the front page.

If you just want purely chronologically new games, you can check out All Games by date.
http://armorgames.com/category/all

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 5:31pm

thedawgboy

thedawgboy

6 posts

It is kind of hard to get popular when the site doesn't even let folks know it is here.  I just suspected that a section called "new games" would have actual new games instead of Infectinator 2, which has been out for multiple months.

Currently, there is a new game with 0 plays, in the search you just gave me.  Had it been in a "new games" section, because, you know, it is a new game, it might actually get someone to play it.  Of course, that would be silly, wouldn't it?

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 6:41pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

I believe games are displayed on the All page before they're on the homepage. Besides, every new game is shown on the homepage at some time or another. The entire center is devoted to new games.

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 7:17pm

thedawgboy

thedawgboy

6 posts

Sil, that is the way the canter section is supposed to work.  That is not how it is currently working.  That is the issue I was trying to have addressed.  Currently the "new section" of the homepage has a game that is almost a year old, simply because Armour added some quests to it.  There is the quests section of the page, the quest button, and other ways to show new content on that year old game, but that one, another that is two months old, and other "popular" content are now in the new section,while new games are not being featured at all. 

Even though there are popular sections in two places on the homepage, and a huge popular section under each category, the "new" section seems to need to serve that function as well.  To me, it is annoying, and makes me wonder if I should still support this site that used to be the best place to find new games.

Posted Feb 26, '13 at 3:37am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

8,764 posts

First of all, let's start by saying that you should continue supporting this great website of course! =)

As for the suggestion you're giving... I'm sure they will probably be re-arranging the homepage in the (maybe/hopefully near) future, to display the newest games separate from the popular/Quest games, but... right now you have to agree that the games that are older, but have now been equipped with Quests, need to have a renewed front page coverage as the Quests system is the future for ArmorGames?! ;)

Just let it ride out for the moment and use the option Gantic gave you to find some of the newest smaller new games that have recently been submitted, but didn't make the cut to get on the homepage section (yet), ok? =)

Posted Feb 27, '13 at 12:49am

thedawgboy

thedawgboy

6 posts

I would agree with the idea the games that now have quests should have some place to be featured.  You know, like the section just to the left of the New Games section that should feature new games.  The one that is already set up. 

Otherwise it may look silly to have games that were recently updated with quests under the new section, were such a section available for such notifications (exactly as it is already).

Look, the quest thing is great, and all.  I enjoy the sense of achievement, but the quest system has a big highlighted button that stands out, a recent quest updates section, and news articles in the current events section.  Why not let the new games enjoy their one little section, and let quests continue to enjoy all three of those other nice features on the front page?

Otherwise, new games get buried, and the Armor Games becomes nothing but "Hey, play these same old games again, just to get an imaginary cookie."

Posted Feb 27, '13 at 6:53am

Reton8

Reton8

2,669 posts

Most games that come out don't rate higher than a 7 score. Most the games with quests are high 7, 8, 9, or more. The new game section can hold 12 games. New games don't come out that often. It usually like 2 to 4 a week. Sometimes less. Games getting updated to have quests usually only takes place once a week or less and it's usually only one or two games at a time. There is an all button that allows you to see all the games in chronological order.

I don't see the big deal with having the games that people actually want to play stay on the front page longer than normal or having old games be put back on the front page after being updated to have quests. Should Armorgames not put a 9 rated quest game on the front page in order to save room for a game rated with a 5? That makes litle sense to me.

Also, the quest button adds more clicks between you and the game. One click on the quest button and one click on the quest that corresponds with the game. The latest quests section (on the front page) is a direct link, but you have to hover to see what the game is and this section can only hold one game at a time. So why not advertise the games with quests by putting them were they will be seen the most on the new games section?

Posted Feb 27, '13 at 12:52pm

thedawgboy

thedawgboy

6 posts

I guess the reason you would not put an 11 month old game in the new games section is the fact that it is not a new game.

I really don't see why that is so hard to understand.  If it isn't "new" it should not be listed as "new." 

If the new quest section is hard to use, why not make that section "Games with recently added quests" with a thumbnail for the actual game (so you can list more than one game at a time in that section, and you can see what the new quests are when you go to the game page (which shows you whether or not you have completed all quests for the game anyway).  After all, it is not as if the "recent quests" area actually shows whether or not you have completed those quests, and never shows if more than one game has new quests in the same week.

So, the reason not to advertise old games in the new games section, after they have updates is that there are other ways to see and show what has been updated in a section that could use improvement (even by your definition), and leave sections that used to work well alone.

Posted Feb 27, '13 at 4:45pm

Reton8

Reton8

2,669 posts

Well, I can see were you're coming from. They could add a "Recent Games with Quests Section" under the new games section. But, I would say it's human laziness that prevents users from doing extra scrolling and clicking. So even with a "Recent Games with Quests Section" user may still not see it as much if it were under the New Game section. Idk, just my thought. It may be changed in the future it may not, I have no idea lol.

Reply to New games section of the home page

You must be logged in to post a reply!