Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

Short Story Contest

Posted Apr 6, '13 at 9:37pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,436 posts

Due date: ???

Since it's been open for a month, it's due before the end of Tuesday.

Posted Apr 6, '13 at 9:38pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

You judging? Or should we wait and see?

Posted Apr 6, '13 at 9:46pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,436 posts

I likely will because I should get Wed-Sun off.

Posted Apr 7, '13 at 4:55pm

Reton8

Reton8

2,802 posts

In my story, I wanted Krall to be some sort of newly elected governor and then maybe some recent civil unrest on his home planet. That way there would have been more reason for Morpius to be showing Krall the artifacts. It probably would have have given more impact to the climax. But I ran out of words and didn't have the motivation to re-type it, haha.

I probably could have re-written the plot from a more action oriented perspective or revealed certain information in a more entertaining way, but I suppose my lack of practice in short story writing and lack of motivation prevented me, lol.

Posted Apr 8, '13 at 6:11pm

Somewhat49

Somewhat49

1,669 posts

The next theme is Ample Answer.

I'm assuming this theme is the one that stories will now be written for.

There came a time when Jim thought the answer the doctors always gave him was an ample answer, but now he thinks that they hide lies in that answer.
âHey doctor?â
âHmm?â
âHow did my wife die?â
âOh she just stopped living, like old people doâ
âCould you explain that more doctor?â
The doctor then sighs and says to Jim, âlook up at the wall Jimmyâ
On the wall is always a wooden sign about 1 x 1.3 meters in size, on it just says âevery answer is an ample answerâ the sign was painted pink with white letters engraved on it.
The sign was always a friendly sign to Jim, never changing unlike his medication and doctors, and very simple, unlike his food. It was the thing Jim found most comforting in his life till now when he notices the controlling aspects of the sign. The sign was always above his reach looking down on him and the pink color was trying to control Jim so that he would more easily go along with what the doctorâs cook up for him. Jim now hated that sign and if he could reach it, he would tear it down and destroy it.
Now this whole new line of thought wasnât brought about by just anything, it came from the only visitor Jim had ever had, a man that was very plain since he was all pitch black, kept on the same height as Jim so they were equals, and always had a smile so he appeared friendly. He suggested that the sign was actually Jimâs enemy, and went into Jimâs dreams to help me see. After he was sure Jim was convinced he waved goodbye with the same smile and exited through the mirror, which was so much more pleasant than having the drafts and noise the opening of the door creates.
Jim went to sleep and in his dreams he asked the sign âwhy are you lying to me?â
The sign replied âbecause I am all you are not, I am strong while your mind is frail, I am worth something while you are worthless, I help while you only harm, and that is the ample answer.â
âThis sign thinks it can control you with its answers that demoralize; do you think it has the right to do that?â Said the pitch black man.
âNo it doesnâtâ said Jim, and then he knew what was true and what to do. He ran and jumped at the sign to push it off from where it hung so high, and broke it in half while it was still screaming. After a minute it stopped, and Jim noticed he was bleeding a lot from cuts. The pitch black man waited until Jim died, removed the step-stool from under where the sign was hung, and exited back through the mirror since his work there was done.

Posted Apr 9, '13 at 6:42pm

StormWalker

StormWalker

6,269 posts

Could you expand the word limit again, Emp? It's kind of hard to make good endings when you have to kill it in the middle of a point. :3

Posted Apr 11, '13 at 6:33pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

Emp is sticking next to the current limit fairly strongly.

Posted Apr 14, '13 at 1:27pm

StormWalker

StormWalker

6,269 posts

All right. When will the next judgings and the next topic come out?

Posted Apr 16, '13 at 4:58pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

Due date is by the end of today people. I wanna see Emp's judging.

Posted Apr 18, '13 at 5:46pm

StormWalker

StormWalker

6,269 posts

...So when's the judging?

Reply to Short Story Contest

You must be logged in to post a reply!