ForumsWEPRWill Christianity Die Out?

213 82134
zeus999
zeus999
31 posts
Shepherd

So I was thinking a few day ago about all the religions that died out because they worshiped the sun, and I'm curious if you think Christianity will do the same due to its outdated beliefs (well to be exact Jesus is the sun, and Christianity also has roots in astronomy but whatever).

• 213 Replies
thecode11
thecode11
239 posts
Nomad

Off-topic: You can copy the piece of text you want to quote, now highlight it, and hit the quote button in the reply screen.

Thx!
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Also, it would continue anyway because you keep talking about it and trying to fight it. There will always be someone who is curious as to why you are attacking Christians and our faith. They will research Christianity and come to a knowledge of Jesus. Your whole plan to destroy Christians is going to blow up in your face. Interesting, isn't it?

This is actually the reason we saw a boom in those following the Greek Mythology in the late 80's, as well as the current trend towards the Nordic believes in many today.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Thx!

Y'r welcome. If you want to know more about these codes, check also http://armorgames.com/community/thread/5440329/bb-code-guide-v41 , though personally I never could be bothered to learn much of it by heart.

Oh, right, so back on topic. Um, I thought the Christian god (or perhaps by extension, all of them) had died with Nietzsche?
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Pope John Paul the 2nd brought many younger people to Catholicism because of his charisma during his early years.
Pope Benedict probably lost them back because he was as charismatic as a turtle.
But now with this new pope who's moderate and uses the Internet to communicate with the World, we might see a revival and many new faithful among the youngest generation joining the Catholic rank.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

But now with this new pope who's moderate and uses the Internet to communicate with the World, we might see a revival and many new faithful among the youngest generation joining the Catholic rank.

I agree. The fact that he comes from South America and secretly enjoys football makes him all the more appealing to the masses there.
caiteyd13
caiteyd13
40 posts
Nomad

It will never die out. It's one of the main religions

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

So were the Olypian gods, Egyptian gods, Norse gods...
thecode11
thecode11
239 posts
Nomad

Zorastriasm (not sure i spelled it right) i'm pretty sure was worshipped (mostly) by the HUGE persian empire pretty main religion then it was hurt badly and will possibly be wiped out in the near or far future.

Also it might never die out in ways cults etc.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Zorastriasm (not sure i spelled it right) i'm pretty sure was worshipped (mostly) by the HUGE persian empire pretty main religion then it was hurt badly and will possibly be wiped out in the near or far future.

So were the Olypian gods, Egyptian gods, Norse gods...

I would say these cases are different. The aforementioned religions were more local based, and confined to specific regions. Christianity is a global religion, which makes it a whole new beast to contend with. That's not to say that one day it won't bite the dust, but it's not going to fall away so easily. Not to forget that those extinct religions died out through fire and blood, yet I hardly think wars of conversion or rampant invasions are going to cause Christianity to do a Houdini.
thecode11
thecode11
239 posts
Nomad

Christianity is a global religion, which makes it a whole new beast to contend with. That's not to say that one day it won't bite the dust

Slowly it will and cause of airplanes taking only hours/days to reach distant places more religions can become global or different sections the religion (latter day saints aka mormons i hope).

Anyway yeah they were more local based but still some were large more region based.

to do a Houdini

Poof (smoke cloud rises).
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Which still leaves the question open regarding to how the mere fact of being a current main religion guarantees eternal persistence.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Slowly it will and cause of airplanes taking only hours/days to reach distant places more religions can become global or different sections the religion (latter day saints aka mormons i hope).

Anyway yeah they were more local based but still some were large more region based.

You must also remember the flow goes both ways. Just as religion can harness technological advances to spread itself, so can atheism; where in the past, atheists existed mostly in small shunned communities, now they can connect via the Net into a more cohesive group.

But nonetheless, still regional; with the Greek Gods limited to the Mediterranean, the Norse in Northern Europe, and the like. Nothing on the scale of modern religious movements.
jonnypants23
jonnypants23
1,353 posts
Farmer

First off I highly doubt Christianity will die out not only because I believe it is a belief that is true in all ways, but I believe Christ will come back before "Christianity dies out".The only way Christianity will be no more is if we have a nuclear war and all of human existence is wiped out. That or another Justin Bieber appears...

thecode11
thecode11
239 posts
Nomad

not only because I believe it is a belief that is true in all ways, but I believe Christ will come back before "Christianity dies out"

Just because you BELIEVE it doesn't mean christ will come back.

That or another Justin Bieber appears...

That would do it especially if that Bieber is atheist.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

First off I highly doubt Christianity will die out not only because I believe it is a belief that is true in all ways, but I believe Christ will come back before "Christianity dies out".The only way Christianity will be no more is if we have a nuclear war and all of human existence is wiped out. That or another Justin Bieber appears...

i wonder how many people have said it 1000 years ago. honestly stay real.

besides, another way of it dieing out is in your own sentence:

but I believe Christ will come back before "Christianity dies out".

but if he doesnt it WILL die out. whether its true or not right? as far as we can prove it any of the religions that died already are right but that god or version of jesus just didnt come to prove it.

i dont want judaism to die either but i have to say... i think it will die like any other religion.

but i personally think christianity will die in a different way. in fact its already dieing. let face it, christianity 100 years ago was awfully different from what it is today. not as many different versions and opinions. progress simply kills old things.

ill give one example: 100 years ago gay marriage would have been taboo. today many christians are pro-gay. christianity IS changing just like most things. but you know... what if there was actually real seperation between religion and state? what if marriage wouldnt have given you any extra rights? gays would fight for the right to marry and christniaty wouldnt have changed when it comes to how it views homosexuality (at least not the way it has).

in my opinion i dont think it will 100% die. but it will just disapear. marriage is originally something religious but its not really viewed that way anymore. look at xmas, its something pretty much everybody celibrates. even those who arent christians. even many christians celibrate it without really caring about the religious part of it. i think marriage and xmas will always be there... but christianity will just become its own shadow.
Showing 136-150 of 213