Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Will Christianity Die Out?

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 9:42pm

Bladerunner679

Bladerunner679

1,343 posts

I of course did mean that nobody who has ever done anything like travel, research, or think rationally believes that the Earth is flat. It is pretty obviously a sphere.

look man, your appologeticism isn't getting you anywhere. before someone proved them wrong, the catholic church believed:
1.earth was flat
2.earth center of universe
3.god causes lightning
and much more.

the fact of the matter is that unless the churches keep on changing their interpretations to become much more liberal, then they will eventually lose power. however, the churches have been doing this for years, so I don't see them stopping any time soon.

-Blade

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 9:52pm

thugtastic

thugtastic

163 posts

look man, your appologeticism isn't getting you anywhere

I know it isn't it's pretty obvious I made a mistake, I apollogize, and it is going to be ridiculous arguing against people who don't actually look at the information from the source like the Catechism of the Catholic Church (which tells you what the Church teaches). So I will stop, I figure with 1billion+ people Christianity will always have someone to argue for it and I can take a short break.

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 10:03pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,570 posts

it is going to be ridiculous arguing against people who don't actually look at the information from the source like the Catechism of the Catholic Church (which tells you what the Church teaches)

You're the one not looking at what the other is saying...

We know that the Catholic church currently does not teach geocentrism, that the world is flat, that God causes lightning or anything else.

We are saying that it used to because you keep trying to say that it does not ever contradict itself, yet it has changed considerably over time.

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 10:12pm

Bladerunner679

Bladerunner679

1,343 posts

I know it isn't it's pretty obvious I made a mistake, I apollogize, and it is going to be ridiculous arguing against people who don't actually look at the information from the source like the Catechism of the Catholic Church (which tells you what the Church teaches). So I will stop, I figure with 1billion+ people Christianity will always have someone to argue for it and I can take a short break.

Yes, run away. Because your "constant" god has always stayed the same regardless of how many times the Catholic Church has reformed its beliefs.

-Blade

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 10:15pm

thugtastic

thugtastic

163 posts

Look, this will be my last post because I'm getting tired of this waste of time, again realizing that I chose my words unwisely. The Church has never changed it's infailable teachings (i.e. abortion is not something that any Catholic should procure, assist, have, or encourage). Thanks for helping me realize my mistake.

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 10:22pm

Bladerunner679

Bladerunner679

1,343 posts

Look, this will be my last post because I'm getting tired of this waste of time, again realizing that I chose my words unwisely. The Church has never changed it's infailable teachings (i.e. abortion is not something that any Catholic should procure, assist, have, or encourage). Thanks for helping me realize my mistake.

I'm getting really tired of your apologeticism. Fun how you attach the word infallible to make your argument seem more credible. Even what your church considers infallible is fallible. How dare you pull this crap. Get out of this thread. If I have to explain the flaws in your stance one more time I will do more than correct you.

-Blade

Posted Mar 6, '13 at 12:16am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,972 posts

The Church has never changed it's infailable teachings

You mean like slavery?

Posted Mar 6, '13 at 2:22am

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,667 posts

Knight

but Catholocism has been on the forefront of many of histories greatest scientific advances and discoveries. Nicolaus Copernicus was a Catholic Canon.

Probably should have pointed this out earlier but anyway. The likes of Copernicus, Galileo, etc. received opposition from the church for their science. It's only been this recent pope that pardoned Galileo.

This dragging behind, sometimes by centuries such as in the case above, could be what ultimately kills the religion.

Posted Mar 6, '13 at 8:30am

SubZero007

SubZero007

401 posts

I'm getting really tired of your apologeticism. Fun how you attach the word infallible to make your argument seem more credible. Even what your church considers infallible is fallible. How dare you pull this crap. Get out of this thread. If I have to explain the flaws in your stance one more time I will do more than correct you.

-Blade

I'm marveling at the fury...

Anyway, for my own personal opinion on this matter, yes, I believe Christianity will die out. I believe this because we are finally reaching a time where you can be accepted by society for not believing in God and where logic and science trump magic and myths. Many of the leading great minds and thinkers of this era are atheist or agnostic, and when they are, most of the population isn't far behind.

Posted Mar 6, '13 at 10:14am

redfan45

redfan45

202 posts

I don't think it'll die out per se as other religions did. When we view all the major ancient religions that we unceremoniously dump under the vague title of "Paganism", most died out due to political upheaval, e.g Invasions, population declines and the like. These aren't very plausible today, given the change in warfare and state relations, and the very global nature of religion. Zoroasterism for instance largely went on the decline after the Muslim conquest of the ME; due to the limited range of influence confined to Iran, it died out. Christianity today on the other hand is free of such disabilities.

Paganism is still alive and well, being Pagan myself. It's a much better path for one who wants to be closer to their own ancestors etc.

Reply to Will Christianity Die Out?

You must be logged in to post a reply!