ForumsWEPRWill Christianity Die Out?

213 82046
zeus999
zeus999
31 posts
Shepherd

So I was thinking a few day ago about all the religions that died out because they worshiped the sun, and I'm curious if you think Christianity will do the same due to its outdated beliefs (well to be exact Jesus is the sun, and Christianity also has roots in astronomy but whatever).

• 213 Replies
thugtastic
thugtastic
162 posts
Peasant

look man, your appologeticism isn't getting you anywhere

I know it isn't it's pretty obvious I made a mistake, I apollogize, and it is going to be ridiculous arguing against people who don't actually look at the information from the source like the Catechism of the Catholic Church (which tells you what the Church teaches). So I will stop, I figure with 1billion+ people Christianity will always have someone to argue for it and I can take a short break.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

it is going to be ridiculous arguing against people who don't actually look at the information from the source like the Catechism of the Catholic Church (which tells you what the Church teaches)

You're the one not looking at what the other is saying...

We know that the Catholic church currently does not teach geocentrism, that the world is flat, that God causes lightning or anything else.

We are saying that it used to because you keep trying to say that it does not ever contradict itself, yet it has changed considerably over time.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

I know it isn't it's pretty obvious I made a mistake, I apollogize, and it is going to be ridiculous arguing against people who don't actually look at the information from the source like the Catechism of the Catholic Church (which tells you what the Church teaches). So I will stop, I figure with 1billion+ people Christianity will always have someone to argue for it and I can take a short break.

Yes, run away. Because your "constant" god has always stayed the same regardless of how many times the Catholic Church has reformed its beliefs.

-Blade
thugtastic
thugtastic
162 posts
Peasant

Look, this will be my last post because I'm getting tired of this waste of time, again realizing that I chose my words unwisely. The Church has never changed it's infailable teachings (i.e. abortion is not something that any Catholic should procure, assist, have, or encourage). Thanks for helping me realize my mistake.

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

Look, this will be my last post because I'm getting tired of this waste of time, again realizing that I chose my words unwisely. The Church has never changed it's infailable teachings (i.e. abortion is not something that any Catholic should procure, assist, have, or encourage). Thanks for helping me realize my mistake.

I'm getting really tired of your apologeticism. Fun how you attach the word infallible to make your argument seem more credible. Even what your church considers infallible is fallible. How dare you pull this crap. Get out of this thread. If I have to explain the flaws in your stance one more time I will do more than correct you.

-Blade
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

The Church has never changed it's infailable teachings

You mean like slavery?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

but Catholocism has been on the forefront of many of histories greatest scientific advances and discoveries. Nicolaus Copernicus was a Catholic Canon.

Probably should have pointed this out earlier but anyway. The likes of Copernicus, Galileo, etc. received opposition from the church for their science. It's only been this recent pope that pardoned Galileo.

This dragging behind, sometimes by centuries such as in the case above, could be what ultimately kills the religion.
SubZero007
SubZero007
883 posts
Peasant

I'm getting really tired of your apologeticism. Fun how you attach the word infallible to make your argument seem more credible. Even what your church considers infallible is fallible. How dare you pull this crap. Get out of this thread. If I have to explain the flaws in your stance one more time I will do more than correct you.

-Blade

I'm marveling at the fury...

Anyway, for my own personal opinion on this matter, yes, I believe Christianity will die out. I believe this because we are finally reaching a time where you can be accepted by society for not believing in God and where logic and science trump magic and myths. Many of the leading great minds and thinkers of this era are atheist or agnostic, and when they are, most of the population isn't far behind.
redfan45
redfan45
197 posts
Nomad

I don't think it'll die out per se as other religions did. When we view all the major ancient religions that we unceremoniously dump under the vague title of "Paganism", most died out due to political upheaval, e.g Invasions, population declines and the like. These aren't very plausible today, given the change in warfare and state relations, and the very global nature of religion. Zoroasterism for instance largely went on the decline after the Muslim conquest of the ME; due to the limited range of influence confined to Iran, it died out. Christianity today on the other hand is free of such disabilities.

Paganism is still alive and well, being Pagan myself. It's a much better path for one who wants to be closer to their own ancestors etc.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

So I will stop, I figure with 1billion+ people Christianity will always have someone to argue for it and I can take a short break.

another 1 walking out the door whit their ears and eye's plugged.
at this rate we get those 1 billion silent in just a few year.
good job guy's. up to the next. =P
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

Pascal's Wager again? Seriously?

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Wha..?

Christianity is not the only religion out there. Maybe you oughtta take that in consideration and rethink your statement.

Anyway, I doubt Christianity will die out in any of our lifespans, it will just adapt. It's been around some 2000 years.

Ancient Egyptians are hardly impressed, and Mayans think you're cute.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Wha..?

if the jews are right, you go to hell.
if the islam is right, you go to hell.
if buddhism is right, you go to hell.
if nordic mythology is right, you go to hell.
if the mayans were right, you go to hell.
if scientology is right, you go to hell.

if just 1 of the thousends of other options is right, you go to hell.
christianity is not more right then any of the other believes.

(if the atheists are right, then no1 will go to hell.)
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Christianity is arguably the largest modern religion, so, if it ever dies out, it'll probably take a few thousand years. Paganism wasn't quite as large and we still celebrate Pagan holidays... more or less.

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

Christianity is arguably the largest modern religion, so, if it ever dies out, it'll probably take a few thousand years. Paganism wasn't quite as large and we still celebrate Pagan holidays... more or less.

islam currently has more followers. as for the few thousand years part, I've noticed a growing atheistic trend. at the rate of its increase, should it continue, then christianity (or at least one major religion) will die out within a few hundred years.

-Blade
Showing 31-45 of 213