Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

What was the stupidest thing you used to believe as a kid?

Posted Mar 9, '13 at 7:45pm

Strop

Strop

11,085 posts

They only knew a few more words, as it turns out.

And sometimes less!

then I took an arrow to the knee.

Sometimes all you need is a good FUS RO DAH to blow all your problems away...

I think the stupidest thing a lot of you may still believe but haven't yet found out is really stupid, is that there's a clear and defined rite of passage to growing up. There is not. Getting drunk does not make you grown up. Getting laid does not make you grown up. Getting buff or losing your puppy fat or whatever does not make you grown up. Discovering philosophy and having long coffee house discussions on the nature of everything does not make you grown up. Things like buying a car, buying a house with your own money and paying off a mortgage, and holding down a steady job, getting married, having kids are much larger milestones with sustained ramifications but not everybody has to be grown up to travel that path, and not everybody grown up travels that path. And the process of those milestones of our lives just as much affect how we "grow up" as they are markers of them. I thought I had it worked out each year through when I was seventeen to when I was twenty three and each year I would have this great epiphany and think "wow, I just spent the last year being a chump, well never again". Nah man, but just how you figure out your place in this world is up to you, and takes time.

Posted Mar 9, '13 at 9:12pm

Skulltivator

Skulltivator

647 posts

I used to think my mother was older than my father because she sat up straight when she ate and my father didn't. He's a few years older than she is.

Posted Mar 9, '13 at 9:24pm

Terry_Logic

Terry_Logic

4,222 posts

I came from a fairly religious background as a child, at least enough to know a fair amount about the Bible at a very young age. When I was maybe 4 or 5, I came to the conclusion that the sun was Jesus. Since Jesus, according to the bible, is the "son" of God, I figured that the "sun" was named after him. The weird part was, I already knew that the two words were spelled differently, but I was still proud of my epic conclusion regardless.

Posted Mar 9, '13 at 9:27pm

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

4,616 posts

I used to think that George Bush (junior, I don't think I even knew that his father was president) was related to George Washington because they were both named George.

Posted Mar 9, '13 at 9:34pm

R2D21999

R2D21999

14,611 posts

Knight

I used to think people wearing glasses were related.

Posted Mar 10, '13 at 3:24pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

3,090 posts

Sometimes all you need is a good FUS RO DAH to blow all your problems away...
Someone posted this in a comment on youtube, and I kinda agree with him.

Basically, doesn't it sound likes he's yelling LOSE YOUR JOB?

(easier to tell on the video where the comment was found, 15 minutes of fus ro dahing the same dragon.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Mar 12, '13 at 11:07am

Hikakin_Fan

Hikakin_Fan

399 posts

i used to think that there were monsters in my closet.

Posted Mar 12, '13 at 11:36am

MegaIPOD

MegaIPOD

425 posts

That's amazing megalpod.

So was this ad, which your statement reminded me of. It was apparently banned in some places, for reasons beyond my comprehension, but it was aired where I lived when it came out, so I'm posting it here.

EPIC COINCIDENCE IS EPIC.

AG should make a horse armatar.

Posted Mar 12, '13 at 1:39pm

Digobr23

Digobr23

128 posts

I used to think Santa Claus was a good old man which distributed gifts for all good children in the world. Guess I was wrong, he is just a capitalist pig trying to eat all of our cookies.

Posted Mar 12, '13 at 1:44pm

jezz

jezz

3,394 posts

I used to think that when women gave birth the baby came out of their belly button. My mum let me believe that ridiculous idea for far too long, though she could never explain to me why men had belly buttons too.

Did anyone else get told that if you swallow chewing gum it will ball up in your stomach and stay there forever? I used to have a panic attack every time I accidentally swallowed it thinking my stomach would grow massive from too much gum stuck in it!

Reply to What was the stupidest thing you used to believe as a kid?

You must be logged in to post a reply!