Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Scientology and other cults

Posted Mar 4, '13 at 9:15pm

firedog12

firedog12

247 posts

I for one think that Scientology is absolutely one of the dumbest religions ever. Scratch that, It's 2nd on my list. Heaven's Gate is 1st. Why do people believe such nonsense?! Scientology still goes on today too. I heard once you're in the cult, you'll never get out. What sickens me the most is that the creator of this "religion" was also a science-fiction writer. Really? You're gonna believe something a science-fiction writer wrote down? Seriously?

Posted Mar 4, '13 at 9:55pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,972 posts

From what I've heard about it, they apparently use psychological tricks to make people feel better (such as repeating your problem in as many ways as possible until it's meaningless and you're desensitized). When people feel better, they're more willing to come back and listen to (and eventually believe) the progressively more insane stuff. And more willing to donate.

Posted Mar 4, '13 at 10:14pm

firedog12

firedog12

247 posts

It's all just one big money making scheme. I give props to L. Ron Hubbard for brainwashing thousands (or maybe millions) of people into believing such loads of crap.

Posted Mar 4, '13 at 10:24pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,570 posts

I don't know much about Scientology, but it's more favorably ranked than many others from what I do know. I'll probably find more things to dislike if I ever look into it, as I've never had a reason to because I've never met a Scientologist.

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 12:01am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,238 posts

as I've never had a reason to because I've never met a Scientologist.

How bout a good ol' bunch to the guts for yeah

Donna and Hyde from "That 70's Show" (can't remember their actual names..and too lazy to look) are both Scientologists

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 12:20am

Kasic

Kasic

5,570 posts

How bout a good ol' bunch to the guts for yeah

Donna and Hyde from "That 70's Show" (can't remember their actual names..and too lazy to look) are both Scientologists

Still doesn't change the fact that I've never met a Scientologist before.

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 1:50am

Bladerunner679

Bladerunner679

1,343 posts

If we're looking at Scientology based on how ridiculous the story is, then let it be known that it actually isn't the worst on my list. From what I gather, Scientology is a religion like any other, but the only real notable difference is that it's magical being in the sky is actually evil, and the dealings within this organization (loosely used) is highly secretive. Bear in mind, this isn't the first time a religion has under the table dealings (catholic church before Protestant reformation) so I'm really not shocked as to the fact that people end up dead by "suicide" whenever they can no longer supplement the organization with their bank account.

All in all, it's about as harmful as the beliefs of any other massive church or organization, but the stigma is worse because more people want their magical being in the sky to be a nice guy.

-Blade

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 4:29am

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,957 posts

Knight

I don't even consider scientology as a religion. As said before, it's a money machine. It's a criminal organisation, or at least that's what it has become.

Their techniques are simple: make people dependent of scientology and take their money. For that, they organize a lot of events, social things, to keep the interessed busy within the organisation; they sever the bonds to family and friends and tie new bonds within the group. A mother who was in scientology with her sons and somehow got out, told that she lost all contact to her sons; they don't want to see her anymore. So it's really dramatic. Because they'll also do everything to prevent you to leave, former members report of stalking and blackmailing and stuff like that. Besides, once you have severed all former bonds, it's really hard to start anew.

Once the victims are sucked in deep enough, come the trial. There's a series of trials or such things needed to reach the ultimate stage. The problem is that many of those trials involve consumption of unhealthily huge quantities of medicaments, that you have to pay for yourself. A former scientologist showed in a documentary what he had to take a day, and it's really frightening (and expensive). In general, you have to pay everything yourself in scientology. And this also adds to the difficulty to leave; try start a new life without your money.

Now let's talk about how ridiculous their "beliefs" are. They believe an evil alien king threatens humanity. They even claim that psychologists are undercover aliens and warn from visiting them. Really, as most sects, they really don't make any sense.

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 4:41am

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,667 posts

Knight

Their techniques are simple: make people dependent of scientology and take their money. For that, they organize a lot of events, social things, to keep the interessed busy within the organisation; they sever the bonds to family and friends and tie new bonds within the group. A mother who was in scientology with her sons and somehow got out, told that she lost all contact to her sons; they don't want to see her anymore. So it's really dramatic. Because they'll also do everything to prevent you to leave, former members report of stalking and blackmailing and stuff like that. Besides, once you have severed all former bonds, it's really hard to start anew.

How is that not a religious cult?

Where's the Harm: Scientology

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 7:19am

firedog12

firedog12

247 posts

All in all, it's about as harmful as the beliefs of any other massive church or organization, but the stigma is worse because more people want their magical being in the sky to be a nice guy.

Yeah but the difference is that these Scientology guys are getting money from you. These guys aren't as harmless as you say they are. I think they're very evil.

Reply to Scientology and other cults

You must be logged in to post a reply!