Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Scientology and other cults

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 8:13am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,257 posts

Knight

It is a frequent thing seen especially in sects that they extirpate money from their followers. They choose easy and naive targets and brainwash them. What I often hear, for example, are old people that are committed to bequeath their fortune to the sect rather than to the family.

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 8:54am

Nerdsoft

Nerdsoft

1,213 posts

Yeah, it's a very dangerous cult. It's somewhat milder than other cults (so we're led to believe) but it has way more clout. You call it a cult, they sue you. But however mild it may seem, we must always remember that the leaders are fanatical (or greedy- either is troubling) enough to still believe in all that "Galactic Lord Xemu" stuff.

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 11:44am

partydevil

partydevil

5,119 posts

Scientology is absolutely one of the dumbest religions ever.

only the usa has excepted scientology as a religion.
other countries have officially called it a sect or did not excepted the existence.

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 5:12pm

Bladerunner679

Bladerunner679

2,534 posts

Yeah but the difference is that these Scientology guys are getting money from you. These guys aren't as harmless as you say they are. I think they're very evil.

I didn't say they were harmless. I merely said that their actions aren't anything new. many cults pull even worse stuff (jonestown), and many become religions (christianity). every religion has pulled the same tactics that hahiha has stated, and scientology is no exception. as for the money part, every religious group is out for money, power, and immunity, no matter what the message is. this is because the only way to keep people comming back is by gaining money, power, and immunity.

again, the message is only worded different, but it is still the same message. "become our blind follower, and we will promise you whatever you want." I'm not going to treat scientology any worse just because their message isn't the normal "magical being who exists outside of our understanding."

-Blade

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 9:20pm

Nerdsoft

Nerdsoft

1,213 posts

only the usa has excepted scientology as a religion.
other countries have officially called it a sect or did not excepted the existence.

Actually, most places call it a religion. Everywhere acknowledges its existence; in Melbourne I saw a Scientology... recruitment center? What do they call those places where they sit there with their "E-Meters", telling perfectly happy, gullible idiots that they are depressed and need to siphon all their money into the cult to become "happy".
You have no idea how powerful that organisation has become.
http://rationalwiki.org/w/images/thumb/5/5e/M1950D.jpg/180px-M1950D.jpg
Fig. 1: the origin of Dianetics.

Posted Mar 6, '13 at 3:11am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,257 posts

Knight

Yeah, I think there were initiatives in certain countries to make it officially a sect, but they have a lot of money and lawyers and they defend themselves.

What is funny is that those buildings they have around here, are apparently not really used. They're just empty scientology churches. The only thing they want here is to mark presence and send their acolytes ringing at all doors, not to amass a community in a center.

Posted Mar 6, '13 at 7:20am

partydevil

partydevil

5,119 posts

Actually, most places call it a religion. Everywhere acknowledges its existence

Scientology is legally recognized as a tax-exempt religion in the United States, Italy,[10][11] South Africa,[12] Australia,[13] Sweden,[14] New Zealand,[15][16] Portugal[17] and Spain;[18][19][20][21][22] the Church of Scientology emphasizes this as proof that it is a bona fide religion.[23]

In other countries, notably Canada, France, Germany and the United Kingdom, Scientology does not have comparable religious status although Churches are allowed.

In other countries, they are A. not recognized or B. labeled a sect.

Posted Mar 6, '13 at 10:58am

partydevil

partydevil

5,119 posts

btw, whit "not recognized" it doesn't mean they all denied it. more like it never came to a official topic.

Reply to Scientology and other cults

You must be logged in to post a reply!