ForumsWEPRPope Benedict XVI's resignation.

30 14826
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

i myself dont really care about this happening. but it's a pretty big religious thing actually and was kinda wondering why it wasn't here on the forum yet.
to see what others think about this. like, does someone think we could see this happening more often in the future. or is Pope Benedict XVI's just cheating it's way out of his duty that god gave him?

here is a article for those that somehow dunno yet. =S

lets here some thoughts. ^^

• 30 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

I'm not too sure what we're supposed to really talk about.

Old guy wants to retire before he dies on the job as every other pope did. Woohoo?

Though I have heard talk about some 'ancient prophecy' regarding the popes and the end of the world. The next media hype?

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Old guy wants to retire before he dies on the job as every other pope did. Woohoo?

Actually the only pope who retired before was some centuries ago, Benedikt being the second pope to ever resign before death.

Heard about those ancient prophecies too. We're gonna hear more about it, or possibly even have books and movies made about it... *sigh*

Other conspiracists say he resigned because of some scandals smouldering behind the scenes. Probably this idea came from the VatiLeak thing..

-----
My opinion is: best thing he ever did in his career. I trust his reasons (old age, not fit for the job anymore) are correct to a big part, at least. I like the idea that he considers what is best for the church instead of clinging on his power position until he dies as a trembling cretin (sorry for the rude words, but former popes kind of validate the word choice...).
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

Though I have heard talk about some 'ancient prophecy' regarding the popes and the end of the world. The next media hype?

It certainly could be, since its something like the next pope is supposed to be the last one before the world ends.

Actually the only pope who retired before was some centuries ago, Benedikt being the second pope to ever resign before death.

Everything I've heard mentions one pope being forced into retirement about 5-600 years ago and another choosing to retire some 700 years ago.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Benedikt being the second pope to ever resign before death.

i heard somewhere he was the 6th.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

The last pope to retire voluntarily was in 1294.

Hopefully we have no-one alive that was there to witness that one as well
xian37
xian37
15 posts
Nomad

he needs to resigned, because of his illness ..

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

he needs to resigned, because of his illness ..

and Pope John Paul II wasn't ill?
he could barely say a word without anyone thinking he was having a stroke.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

and Pope John Paul II wasn't ill?
he could barely say a word without anyone thinking he was having a stroke.

xian never said Paul wasn't ill. The last Pope would have needed to resign, too. But he didn't because he had the right to stay. Chavez was already quite ill when he ran for presidency again. He shouldn't have run and he shouldn't have accepted, yet he did. Same thing.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

finding a old man that isn't ill in some way is really hard. especially whit such heavy duty it's inevitable that they get ill.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

In other news, Chavez is dead. I think it's fair to say that that's bigger news, even in the temporal world.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester
thugtastic
thugtastic
162 posts
Peasant

The Pope used to die because of old age or sickness but with modern medicine people live longer therefore the Pope can not continue because he is getting too old, something they didn't used to do.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

The Pope used to die because of old age or sickness but with modern medicine people live longer therefore the Pope can not continue because he is getting too old, something they didn't used to do.

Considering the pope prior to Benedict held on to the point he was a virtual puppet due to health and there have been popes who were older I fail to see how that is really all that valid. I'm not saying it's a bad idea to retire if you don't feel you can do the job, just comes across as a bit laughable considering the job could be preformed by Bernie Lomax. (see Weekend at Bernie's, 1989 for reference)
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

the race has narrowed to two runners, Italian media say: Italy's "Angelo Scola" and Brazil's "Odilo Scherer" .

(supposedly from privet conversations whit cardinals)

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

"Angelo Scola" and Brazil's "Odilo Scherer"

Given their views they sound like they would make good popes.
Angelo Scola
Odilo Scherer
Showing 1-15 of 30