ForumsProgramming ForumRPG Design

7 8402
Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

Anyone interested in developing an open source as3 rpg? Mostly an idea right now and for an outlet to try to improve my programming skills.

Basically I know how to program a bit, just have no real experience in design and development of larger projects.

So to start off lets discuss Design.

Obviously OOP and perhaps some sorta design pattern

Basic Division of Objects
Game Objects

User Objects

Game Design Ideas:
1.First off do not want to have Character Levels in the game, I will want players to improve stats/skills individually. With this there is the possibility of making players having to invest in skills/abilities to gather information/intelligence on other characters/monsters.

2.Classes are modular, in that the character can gain several classes and invest in them to improve abilities, skills, etc. The amount of classes will most likely be limited to a few at a time and of course there will be increasing costs for investing experiences. Think of it like a gradual increase in costs, which is suppose to represent the idea of a learning curve, These will of course be linked to a base ability score, so if lets say you pick classes similar in requirements they are easier to learn then something completely different.

3. The world a player lives in will be a combination of rogue-like dungeons, random dungeon generation, items seemingly do random things another part of information hiding from players, perma-death penalty will be replaced by a beginning and end checkpoint system. Though items/equipment are lost on dungeon runs. There will be an over-world that is somewhat static and relativity safe, when you die a grave marker will be set and you can regain lost things. Checkpoints are saved in towns.

My basic thoughts is most of the game will be textual though I will want to generate maps, maybe a drag and drop/ point and click user interface.

• 7 Replies
codyrousseau
codyrousseau
62 posts
Blacksmith

Well, a good system for non leveling up is having items and weapons and armors that give your characters boosts in stats. That is what I am using for this one game I am making.
A good way for having abilities is maybe earning them in a dungeon or having them be bought.
I also think that moving around with keys like WASD would be a better idea than clicking.

Horse999123
Horse999123
6 posts
Nomad

I could help but I would need to learn a new type of code if you aren't planning on using java

mightybob
mightybob
360 posts
Peasant

I know As3, but this RPG sounds a lot like a 2D Minecraft. Also, it being open-source sounds a bit weird, maybe it should be like a team of 10 people.

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

this thread is a year old and there hasn't been any follow up posts on it :/

mightybob
mightybob
360 posts
Peasant

oops, when I say March 13th I didnt bother looking at year...

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

yea it happens to me too....

anywho I think THIS THREAD might be relevant as a start for some kind of RPG

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

I thought it was funny I saw this thread revived. Its just the programming section here is pretty small. Though I am working my way back into java a little. I still haven't even complete half a game, most of the time its just simple scripts. Theoretical stuff...yaay college and minecraft, dunno I really should dedicate more time to programming

Showing 1-7 of 7