Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Man on Mars: 2018

Posted Mar 6, '13 at 5:41pm

blk2860

blk2860

3,686 posts

Have you heard about this?  Apparently the first man will set foot on mars by 2018. Yes it's true. So what do you think this will cause? Do you think that this will cause us to colonize Mars? It would be possible. Or maybe we'll make Mars habitable again, by reintroducing water and planting trees to create oxygen. Do you think that the mission will even be successful? This may be the first step in the colonization of Mars, and I do believe the mission will be successful. You can red about it here.

Posted Mar 6, '13 at 5:58pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

While it's not beyond the realm of possibility for us to eventually colonize Mars, it would be a -very- long process. Not something that we'd ever accomplish in our lifetime.

As for the people going there, sure, why not? The biggest limitation is simply how long it takes and carrying the supplies needed for that amount of time.

Posted Mar 6, '13 at 6:28pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,677 posts

Knight

Posted Mar 6, '13 at 7:25pm

blk2860

blk2860

3,686 posts

Is it the same billionaire space pioneer who's paying for this trip to mars? Seriously, it probably is.

Posted Mar 6, '13 at 7:38pm

Terry_Logic

Terry_Logic

3,997 posts

Billionaire space pioneer announces plan to colonise Mars with 80,000 people in two decades

Alright! Now I have something to do with my time when I'm filthy rich.

What if people wanted to return to Earth after colonizing Mars, though?

Posted Mar 6, '13 at 11:01pm

firedog12

firedog12

247 posts

Sometimes I think the future is a bit scary. I get scared at the fact that technology will be used in our daily lives to help us. (It helps us but not like cleaning your room like a robot.) I'm kind of scared about the Mars thing though. All I know is i'm not going! Hell naw, who do I look like? I'm not going to another planet unless I got a certificate stating that I graduated from some college!

Posted Mar 7, '13 at 4:37am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,043 posts

Knight

I sort of think that we have other problems right now. Seriously. I mean, nothing against the idea per se. But just consider that we know the surface of Mars probably better than the bottom of our oceans. And yet oil multis and ressource giants want to exploit deep sea oil or whatever. Why don't we investigate this more and show them this is a very bad idea? But noo, we throw in all that money to send some poor devils on a giant spherical wasteland to make it habitable, in the meantime thousands of children starve because we're unable to grow plants in arid regions. Duh -.-

Well... bad luck? Should have thought about it before.

I get scared at the fact that technology will be used in our daily lives to help us. (It helps us but not like cleaning your room like a robot.)

You know, technology is already all around us. It's just conveniently packed into objects away from the eye or built in design cars. The industry also relies on robots since some time already. And noone tried to take voer the world yet :P

Posted Mar 7, '13 at 7:27am

partydevil

partydevil

5,097 posts

You can red about it here.

page doesn't exist.

not going to happen.

I'm kind of scared about the Mars thing though. All I know is i'm not going!

then there is no reason to be scared. =)

Why don't we investigate this more and show them this is a very bad idea?

i dunno if it's really a bad idea but, well it's just this billionaire that wants to go to mars. not some government or un.
the biggest space companies, like nasa, roscosmos, esa and cnsa. are not yet going to mars. they want to colonize the moon by 2020 1st. and then go for mars around 2033.
the plans of these (in total 14) companies are given in this PDF from "International Space Exploration Coordination Group".

Posted Mar 7, '13 at 11:23am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,984 posts

not going to happen.

Sure it could, if they had enough money. One problem is a likely difference in atmospheric conditions, making the travelers unsuitable for earth. Kind of like how if someone's on a higher concentration of oxygen for a long time, they can't handle low amounts later. The gravity shift (about 1/3 of earth's) would also screw with them.

Posted Mar 7, '13 at 12:45pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,097 posts

there is no(t enough) fuel on mars.

Reply to Man on Mars: 2018

You must be logged in to post a reply!