Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Man on Mars: 2018

Posted Mar 7, '13 at 5:10pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,971 posts

By the time a colony is there, it won't be difficult to send supplies. If someone's got a big enough bank account, it'll get done.

Posted Mar 7, '13 at 6:44pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,667 posts

Knight

Since the OP's link doesn't work I was wondering if this is what you were getting at? Because this is a plan for a flyby mission.
http://nextbigfuture.com/2013/03/four-m … -mars.html

Posted Mar 8, '13 at 4:03am

xian37

xian37

16 posts

yah right, I think we can habitable again at Mars. but we can prove it on 2018.

Posted Mar 14, '13 at 7:33am

Nerdsoft

Nerdsoft

1,009 posts

Psychological problems. Those are the worst problems. Watch Sunshine, it deals with just that. Anyway, the Chinese (and recently, the ESA and Russia together) did an experiment of that type.

Posted Mar 14, '13 at 10:28am

blk2860

blk2860

3,686 posts

This isn't flyby. They're going to just hang in the orbit for a little bit, My earlier link didn't work because they took the site down.

Posted Mar 21, '13 at 1:40am

SSTG

SSTG

10,756 posts

Knight

...the biggest space companies, like nasa, roscosmos, esa and cnsa. are not yet going to mars. they want to colonize the moon by 2020 1st. and then go for mars around 2033.

It makes sense because they would save on fuel just to name a reason and the Moon makes a great place to start a trip to other planets.

Posted Mar 28, '13 at 9:52am

ImTheMostManlyMan

ImTheMostManlyMan

2,809 posts

Wait, so let me get this straight. They're willing to spend unimaginable amounts of money to send a man to Mars which probably will accomplish nothing as far as a standard of living ect. goes but they said no to a Death Star and it's countless positive affects. Something very wrong is affoot.

Posted Mar 29, '13 at 11:44pm

SSTG

SSTG

10,756 posts

Knight

Wait, so let me get this straight. They're willing to spend unimaginable amounts of money to send a man to Mars which probably will accomplish nothing as far as a standard of living ect. goes but they said no to a Death Star and it's countless positive affects. Something very wrong is affoot.

If another meteorite like the one that recently fell on Siberia (50 times bigger and made of metal only) and enters at a sharp angle, the shock wave could turn an entire continent into a big crater, followed by a gigantic tsunami.
With this in mind, Mars could become a second home for a few rich a**holes who could afford the trip while the rest of us will wait for the impact!
OMG, it's Armageddon, run, pray, repent, commit suicide or do just like me and look at it in the eyes while it's falling down. xD

Posted Mar 30, '13 at 4:11am

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,943 posts

Knight

but they said no to a Death Star and it's countless positive affects.

What positive effects? You mean sending tons of perfectly good building matieral into space where they'll get shrapnelled by our orbital waste belt?

Anyway there'd be thousands of more banal and reasonable ways to invest that money, but extraordinary challenges have always propelled humankind, and sending someone to Mars is a rather symbolic than utilitary act. I mean, we got a robot there, right? Why send humans if we can send robots?

Posted Mar 30, '13 at 7:12am

partydevil

partydevil

5,087 posts

With this in mind, Mars could become a second home

later this year 1 will pass between earth and the sun ;)
(nasa had a sneak preview of the comet last week by 1 of it's satellites =) )

sending someone to Mars is a rather symbolic than utilitary act.

exactly.
we got nothing to do there yet.

Reply to Man on Mars: 2018

You must be logged in to post a reply!