Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Maturity and Age

Posted Mar 9, '13 at 8:34pm

soccerdude2

soccerdude2

1,588 posts

You could say that maturity and age have relatively the same end behavior as functions but are rather different when comparing several cases.

I don't know what I'm typing right now...

Posted Mar 9, '13 at 9:58pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

4,797 posts

Here's a perspective for you:

I'm 20 and I turn 21 in less than a month. My finger hurts. It's making me talk, out loud, to no one, like a British person. "In Bri'ain, yoo offen tok about yore fingas when they're 'urtin yoo. Oi was busy today, 'ad a lot a werk ta do, not sure whai mah finga 'urts laik it does. Spiffing!" Spiffing is an excellent word. Amost as excellent as 'shenanigans,' which is the greatest word of all time.

Maybe I need a girlfriend. Shout-out to all the single teenage guys out there: you're going to be fine! Talk with a British accent. Chicks dig British accents.

Posted Mar 10, '13 at 1:56am

Terry_Logic

Terry_Logic

3,997 posts

Chicks dig British accents.

From what you've typed so phonetically, that sounds like a ****ney accent, which, last time I checked, is not attractive to anyone. :P

Now, if you used a more sophisticated British accent that wasn't associated with chimney sweeps and guttersnipes (no offense to any of you ****ney people, this is just how Americans perceive this accent due to classic media; the word "guttersnipe" isn't even in our vocabulary), you may have a bit more luck with the female gender.

Posted Mar 10, '13 at 4:58am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,119 posts

Knight

From what you've typed so phonetically, that sounds like a ****ney accent, which, last time I checked, is not attractive to anyone. :P

Chavvvvvv.

Kidding.

Posted Mar 10, '13 at 8:16pm

StormWalker

StormWalker

3,331 posts

I don't think testing for maturity or age is a good idea. I just don't like the idea. And if responsibilities were based on maturity, well I wouldn't have much. I'm kinda immature here....my neighbor's 6-year-old twins at times are more mature than I am.
And wouldn't that testing idea just let some people expierience childhood forever? Or am I not making any sense? Blagh.

Posted Mar 10, '13 at 8:20pm

Terry_Logic

Terry_Logic

3,997 posts

And if responsibilities were based on maturity, well I wouldn't have much.

I consider myself to be a very mature person (disregarding bits and pieces of my sense of humor), so if responsibilities were based on maturity, well I'd have responsibilities. You can see why this works badly for both ends of the spectrum.

Posted Mar 10, '13 at 9:38pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

4,797 posts

From what you've typed so phonetically, that sounds like a ****ney accent, which, last time I checked, is not attractive to anyone.

It's hard to type in British! Give me a break! Try typing a sentance or two in a "sophisticated" British accent.

Posted Mar 11, '13 at 11:41am

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

I would like to pose a question, that's mostly on topic.

What does everyone think maturity actually entails?

I think that there are two main parts: Responsibility and Situation Awareness. People can still be mature even if they make crude jokes, bug their friends with annoying antics, say weird things and more, so long as they realize that such things aren't appropriate in certain locations and with people they don't know well. Likewise, there's a limit to going too far in those kinds of situations, which is where the responsibility portion kicks in. Cleaning up one's own mess, fulfilling obligations and not ruining things for others is the crucial part.

From my experience, there's the idea that if someone is mature they can't have a good time, or that some who is mature is inherently boring.

Anyone else have anything to input?

Reply to Maturity and Age

You must be logged in to post a reply!