Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Why Would Anyone (in the right mind) Worship Satan?

Posted Aug 14, '13 at 3:57pm

Moegreche

Moegreche

2,855 posts

Just a few comments on the conversation so far. Something which has clearly stuck out to me is that Alexander116 has a very rich and useful understanding of his (I'm assuming you're a male here) religion. It's a wonderful treat to see someone posting who can write in clear language and who has a genuine understanding of what they're talking about.

That being said the argument presented is, strictly speaking, invalid. To see this, consider a similar argument:

1) If there is no lumber then there are no tables.
2) I've created lumber.
C) Therefore I've created a table.

Premise 1 is true since tables require lumber (if you don't like this example, you could substitute any object that is necessarily made from some created material). Where the argument clearly goes wrong is that I don't create every state of affairs that exists, whereas God does. That being said, there would have to be an implicit premiss that God creates all states of affairs. (This might be too strong, but the idea is at least in the ballpark). But what this means is that God directly created the choice, which is the conclusion that needs to be proven. So, yeah, it's question-begging. But in this context that's okay - we're looking at alternative approaches to morality that are in contradistinction to some form of theism (in this case, it's born-again Christianity).

So the root of the question comes down to how what a Satanist is and the salient differences between that view and a theistic view. One of the things that theistic views have going for them is that ethical principles aren't arbitrary (though this could be disputed). Given the problems with ethical theories in general, there seems to be a theoretical nudge in the direction of the theist. I have little doubt that someone who espouses the value theories and ethical theories associated with Satanism would have a hard time developing a compelling ethical theory.

So, just for a moment, let's put aside the myriad problems associated with theistic belief. Is there a rational reason to choose Satanism as a theory of value over that of some principled, theistic set of values?

Define "bad things"

This brings home the question I've just posed. Things that are bad are going to depend on one's value theory, but this doesn't advance the question in play. For example, God wants us to to be happy so things that make us sad are bad things (with qualification - and yes, I'm punting here). But some story along these lines would easily fit the hedonistic value theory that is associated with many Satanist cults/organisations/religions.

Posted Aug 15, '13 at 3:41pm

Mickeyryn

Mickeyryn

244 posts

Haha. Since I last looked at this topic, it had 4 pages... Now... Not so much.

Posted Aug 24, '13 at 1:16pm

MagicTree

MagicTree

360 posts

A lot of people are viewing this from a Catholic viewpoint... I mean in the Bible, the devil is made out to  be a terrible being. In some forms of Satanism, Satan is admired for the rebellion  against the controlling of God. This isn't my viewpoint, but maybe we should all ditch viewpoints and look at it differently.

Posted Aug 24, '13 at 4:10pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,591 posts

I mean in the Bible, the devil is made out to  be a terrible being.

Even in the Bible, the entirety of Satan's evil is basically God says he is.

Whilst we have God committing multiple genocides, ordering his followers to plunder and rape, making them imperfect and making them worship him for eternity so he won't punish them, requiring bloody sacrifices until he grew bored of that, handing down laws that are obscene, and just all around being an absolutely terrible being.

Posted Aug 24, '13 at 7:41pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,704 posts

I mean in the Bible, the devil is made out to  be a terrible being.

Basically what Kasic pointed out. In the Bible, if you actually pay attention to the parts about Satan, he really doesn't seem like that evil of a being. He actually accepts us for who we are, despite our faults...and teaches us critical thinking so that we are all not mindless slaves.

Posted Aug 24, '13 at 8:23pm

KnightDeclan

KnightDeclan

487 posts

A lot of people are viewing this from a Catholic viewpoint... I mean in the Bible, the devil is made out to  be a terrible being. In some forms of Satanism, Satan is admired for the rebellion  against the controlling of God. This isn't my viewpoint, but maybe we should all ditch viewpoints and look at it differently.

The devil was created by God.  He's part of our beliefs, so i don't see why others would believe in him.  If there is no God, then there's no devil

Posted Aug 24, '13 at 8:28pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,591 posts

The devil was created by God.  He's part of our beliefs, so i don't see why others would believe in him.  If there is no God, then there's no devil

Most satanists aren't theistic. They simply draw themes they find from it.

Posted Aug 25, '13 at 3:15am

danielo

danielo

1,397 posts

There is no "Devil" in the bible to begin with.

The Devil is a christian invitation to scare the pagans. "If you wont belive in jesus, wowowow what Satan will do to your anus...". As a threat. Priest who stand on plateforms and yell how terrible Satan is, then collecting money for "the church" ao they wont get there.

Its like a simple and classic Buggyman.

Posted Aug 25, '13 at 6:45am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,082 posts

Knight

If you look closely, he did mention god as being part of this kind of satanism. Just not as the all-loving one.

But yeah, essentially you're right. Satanists are christians worshiping a different character within the same lore.

Posted Aug 31, '13 at 9:15am

partydevil

partydevil

5,109 posts

if you take a look at what is done in the name of god. (jhwh)
and now take a look at what is done in the name of the devil. (lucifer)

just watch this.

Reply to Why Would Anyone (in the right mind) Worship Satan?

You must be logged in to post a reply!