ForumsNews and Feedback_Helpers_(Another Rank)

13 5114
RiderOfEpicness
RiderOfEpicness
11 posts
Peasant

Dear AG Team,
I was wondering as an idea that maybe you can add a rank that is a below a moderator. This rank could be called a Helper and they are like a moderator's own sidekick. Like they help a moderator or they assist them in anyway. Of course they have to go through that scan thing that picks up respective people. This is my idea and I hope you guys look at it. Thank You.
From,
RiderOfEpicness

• 13 Replies
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

What powers would said helpers have that a regular user such as you or myself wouldn't necessarily have?

If the staff feels the moderation team needs help, they appoint new moderators. If they don't trust you with the full-blown moderator responsibilities, they don't trust you with any moderator powers. There's no reason to have more middle-men thrown in there.

Now that isn't to say that a regular user can't help a moderator with certain things. If you see someone violating site rules in any way, you can report them to a moderator and you'll make their job much easier.

RiderOfEpicness
RiderOfEpicness
11 posts
Peasant

Well personally I do not know what powers a moderator has.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

Taken from a moderator's profile:

Moderators are user volunteers who have been selected by Administrators to help maintain the web site. Their duties including removing spam from the forums, locking forum threads, and helping users understand and follow the Terms and Conditions of being a member on the site and posting rules and guidelines for posting messages in the forums, game comments or user comments. Moderators can issue temporary bans from the site for users who do not follow rules, and are in contact with Administrators regarding permanent bans for repeat or major offenses.
RiderOfEpicness
RiderOfEpicness
11 posts
Peasant

Thank You for this info.

RiderOfEpicness
RiderOfEpicness
11 posts
Peasant

Maybe this Helper rank can be provided to the younger kids below 18. And I think that they should enforce the rules and remove spam. How do you see this Ernie15?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

This is similar to what they have on their GetSatisfaction page. Scroll down and you'll see "Champion of ArmorGames" and here's the description:
Respected and trusted members of the community appointed by the company to help provide expert advice to customers.

They don't have any powers, and I don't see much use of the idea.

Maybe this Helper rank can be provided to the younger kids below 18. And I think that they should enforce the rules and remove spam.

That's what mods do.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

Again, if they don't trust you with all the moderator responsibilities, they won't give you any of them. I don't see the staff having any reason to give "younger kids" the power to delete content when they could just as easily report it to a moderator without the chance of the younger user going mad with power.

RiderOfEpicness
RiderOfEpicness
11 posts
Peasant

Thank You for this info.

Am I breaking the rules when i said this? And thank you for your reply GhostOfMatrix.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Again, if they don't trust you with all the moderator responsibilities, they won't give you any of them. I don't see the staff having any reason to give "younger kids" the power to delete content when they could just as easily report it to a moderator without the chance of the younger user going mad with power.

Several users were modded before the age of 18. Just because they're not 18+ doesn't mean they're gonna go mad with power. Just like how it doesn't mean 18+ aren't going to go mad with power. Age doesn't define the person.

Otherwise yes, if they don't trust you with all powers, you aren't going to get any.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Titles on the other hand can have *some* use. Similar to the GetSatisfaction page, I assume that's there to make sure you get sound advice. I just don't see them adding it here since a ton of people already give good advice when there're site questions.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

I'm listening. Can't promise anything, but doesn't hurt to hear the ideas.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

I'm listening. Can't promise anything, but doesn't hurt to hear the ideas.

So far I think the best way to go about this is to have it similar to the GetSatisfaction page. On page 1 of this thread I included a link and description of "Champions" on GetSatisfaction. It's something that can be useful if you want to make sure that people are getting correct advice on topics related to the site, but it doesn't seem that necessary as many already do. Either way it's not a bad idea.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

Several users were modded before the age of 18. Just because they're not 18+ doesn't mean they're gonna go mad with power. Just like how it doesn't mean 18+ aren't going to go mad with power. Age doesn't define the person.

Not really the point I was trying to make. I was basically saying that providing younger kids--or anyone for that matter; I should have made that clear--with the "helper rank" would be a useless step because anyone who isn't a moderator could just as easily report spam or other rule-defying content to a moderator, and nobody would have to worry about said "helper" going mad and deleting everything.

The other problem with this new special rank is that once some people start getting promoted, everyone is going to want to be a helper. There would be a lot of "Why did he get picked to be a helper and I didn't?" kind of stuff flooding staff and moderator profiles. I'm thinking that's one of the reasons the 18+ rule was created for moderators in 2011 (not sure if it's still enforced).

But this is just what I think. I can't speak for the staff. Only the staff can speak for the staff.
Showing 1-13 of 13