Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Why is social networking so popular?

Posted Mar 15, '13 at 5:31pm

riolee2

riolee2

86 posts

This question has been on my mind today. I just wanted to see what people think.

Posted Mar 15, '13 at 5:39pm

Terry_Logic

Terry_Logic

4,575 posts

It makes everyone feel like they're part of something, and that they have a real social life even when it's obvious that they don't. I'll admit that it does make it easier for people like relatives and faraway friends to find you, but too many people just use it to prattle on about their uneventful lives and that's why it's so difficult for me to take it seriously.

Posted Mar 15, '13 at 6:00pm

xXxDAPRO89xXx

xXxDAPRO89xXx

6,861 posts

I like instagram... It shows me a little about my friend's lives I didn't know... And other programs just help to talk to someone you wouldn't normally be able to.

Posted Mar 15, '13 at 8:02pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

6,889 posts

I recently deleted my both my Facebook and Twitter, and I can't help but ask why I didn't do it sooner. Typical conversation goes as such:

"Hey Mav, why'd you delete your Facebook and Twitter?"

"Well I just got tired of using it, etc. I guess you'll actually have to talk to me know."

*conversation ensues because somehow I now have no knowledge of anything that goes on anymore*

But to answer the OP, people like to compensate. I had friends on FB that had 3000 *other* "friends". You can't possibly know that many people in reality, so what else could it be? People try to make up for their own insecurity about themselves by trying to appear popular. Its the same concept as why middle-aged men wear leather jackets and drive sports cars.

Posted Mar 15, '13 at 8:25pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,622 posts

Knight

To connect with people duh. The idea that the majority of SN users have no friends in real life is a sad misconception. It simply is a new way of communicating. Did people complain when the telegram was invented as well? Probably. Same story.

Posted Mar 15, '13 at 8:33pm

sourwhatup2

sourwhatup2

3,794 posts

I don't like any of it. All I have or use is pretty much facebook and that's about 1 to 3 times a week. I usually only use it to talk with friends from the US or other countries since I've moved internationally several times already. Most of my friends I have added are probably from my highschool, and I do know them all personally just most of them I don't actually consider friend friends.

I have about 10 close friends that I keep in contact with weekly. I don't like losing contact with cool people who i actually like xD.

The rest is stupidity to me. I have family that spends 24/7 on facebook and Twitter and it annoys me to see them waste so much time on it.

Posted Mar 15, '13 at 8:43pm

pickpocket

pickpocket

6,021 posts

Well, the way I use it is to communicate with people outside of the country. Calling or texting them costs too much. I also talk with a bunch of my friends from my old school that is about half way across the country. While I'm at it I figure that I might as well add my current friends. I don't really see a problem with it.
The problem comes when people get addicted. Like freaky addicted. There is this one girl who thinks she is so cool because she posts so much crap on Facebook. And on any picture you have all those "fake" complements. Its nt like its imporant stuff either, its just pointless and stupid things like "eating now Omg" It's annoying and I don't see the point of spending more than an hour a week on Facebook.

But back on topic, it's popular because people like to talk with other people. I'm sure you've heard the saying the world is getting smaller. This is it. People use it because other people use it because other people use it. Now businesses use it. That's why its popular I guess

Posted Mar 15, '13 at 10:43pm

daleks

daleks

3,836 posts

What pick said. I have a FB but I only use it to talk to people. I do not like ever post or anything.

Posted Mar 15, '13 at 11:48pm

xeano321

xeano321

3,136 posts

Knight

I don't have FB, Twitter, Instagram, Plus, ETC...

Personally, I find them to take too much time to maintain. I don't like the idea of sitting around for 2 hours a day talking about nothing but a bunch of junk on Facebook.

Posted Mar 16, '13 at 12:04am

Ernie15

Ernie15

13,541 posts

Knight

I'll put it frankly. If I had friends, I would spend time with them in the real world and not on some ridiculous shut-in site for people to brag about how "important" their ridiculously mundane lives are.

But speaking of friends, I was looking for old quotes from Floyd for a certain upcoming project, and I found his opinion of Facebook people on an old thread from way back when.

if their life sucks so much, they can go take some pills or cut themself or something, but they shouldnt tell us about their stupid life problems. do they honestly think we want to hear about them?

Carry on.

Reply to Why is social networking so popular?

You must be logged in to post a reply!