ForumsForum GamesGround Zero II KICKSTARTER Thread

44 12458
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

Please read this carefully if you want to participate:

Hey everyone, you might know me as the host for Ground Zero. If not then let me explain a little. I have been running Ground Zero for a while; itâs a popular RPG/Tournament here. Currently I have only 6 players but it originally started with 10. Most of the people either left, died or they were disqualified.

Now, I am making this thread so I can start building onto Ground Zero II. Currently it has no sub-name but I am planning on giving it one. I need everyoneâs opinions and suggestions on what I should do or what you would like to see in the next GZ.

See, throughout the hosting of Ground Zero I ran through several problems of consistency and keeping track of hunger, thirst, hp, items, etc. So towards the end of GZ I started to fix things a bit. I removed hunger and thirst. I fixed the weapons up a bit to make it a bit less cluttered. Currently Iâm trying to think of what I can add or take off of the character sheet, Iâll be putting that later in this post.

---------------------------------

What Iâll include into what you guys can put your ideas into:
~Locations
~Monsters/Enemies
~Weapons
~Gear
~Stats
~Abilities
~And more

I want all the suggestions I can get⦠Obviously I wonât be adding every single one and I canât because obviously not every idea is full proof but I know that the community here is pretty awesome and that everyone does have great ideas.

Okay this is the last thing Iâm going to talk about; please do not try and tell me how to make the game. Please do not suggest anything stupid or not relative to the RPG itself and anything that is exaggerated I will ignore completely.

--------------------------------------

Character Sheet:

Name:
-----
Abilities:
~
~
~
-----
Items:
~
~
~
Weapons:
~
~
~
Gear:
~
~
~

If you think I should shorten this up a bit feel free to tell me. If you want to add anything to it then suggest it to me.

--------------------------------------

Possible locations where the tournament will be held and where the sign ups will be held:

Tournament: Russia, In the Pacific Ocean, Unknown, Australia, Brazil, Hawaii, Alaska.
Sign-ups: Moscow, Hawaii, Sydney, Rome, Tokyo.

Currently that's all I can think of, I'll be adding things along the way here. Any players who participated in GZI please help here, it's practically mandatory that you do so xD. Thanks.

-Idea for making this was from MattEmAngel, he personally told me I should make one and considering he plays in Ground Zero I decided to listen to him-

• 44 Replies
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

1. If you're going to have weapons, you're going to need to do some research on weapons in use and weapons in development. Put the weapons in development in use, and just increase the numbers of weapons in use. Don't overdo it though. Don't make AK-48's or something like that, you would make AK-96's.

All weapons are fictional, I will most likely give them their own names and I might loosely base them off weapons being made or already exist but that will rarely happen.

2. You're going to need a backstory for this. Single Minded did a good job. You need to explain who the players are and how they got these "Abilities".

Trust me I'm good at this.. Look at Ground Zero 1.

3. You're going to need to use people who are alive now and their descendants in the near future. Someone in their 20s now would be in this game. Someone in their 40s or over would have kids or grandkids. Someone 60 or over would have great grandkids or more.

What do you mean by this? I mean the ages will probably be between 18-25, and this GZ will probably only be placed a few years after the first one I made.

4. You're going to have to expand upon problems we have now. Rumors of Syria developing Nuclear Weapons now? The future is recovering from World War 3. The Nation losing money now? The nation is severely in debt in the future.

I don't like this idea personally, I'd rather keep politics and everything else out of it. This is basically a tournament rpg. It's not a war or anything so yeah.

5. Don't use Rads. Think of something new like percentage of Pollution, and you have to wear a gas mask in areas where it's severe.

Wait, what? I don't understand this completely... I don't want to complicate the game so I'm not going to add something like that xD

7. Don't go near zombies. They're cliched now, if you want to use them, expand upon it.

I don't because I know. :P This RPG is a human RPG adventure/action. It includes a tournament style fighting kind of like hunger games but not really.

No. It's Build or Physical Description. (Or Phys. Desc. or Physical Desc.)

Okay but I probably won't call it either of the 3. :P

Then play something else. It needs to be Timezone relevant. I'm talking about Time Era.

Just because it's near future does not mean we cannot have crossbows. It's obviously going to be hi-tech :P

Survival:
Hunger and Thirst
Post Apocalyptic Survival:
Hunger, Thirst, Pollution or Radiation
Arena/Battle:
Status Effects like Poisoned, Bleeding Out, and others.
Adventure:
Experience and Levels

Well it is survival but I took off Hunger and Thirst because there is no need for it. It only complicates the game for the players and for me.
It's not necessarily arena but there are battles. I already use some effects in the first Ground Zero. Which gives me the idea to add status to the sheet :P
Adventure... I do not want to add levels and experience, it is way too into the meta and I hate that. A good RPG does not need this to be successful, I mean look at GZI, I didn't use classes, exp, levels, etc. and it went great.

Oh. I don't know If I'll play this then. I hate the Hunger Games.

It's not the hunger games... You won't be running towards the middle to die at the beginning. It's more adventure involved and bigger and better fights.

Anyways thanks for the input, you have some nice ideas but I think you were a bit confused onto what genre this falls into, hope I cleared it up.
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

So here is what we have so far.

WEAPONS:

~Plasma
~Elemental (Obviously these are probably mechanical and/or chemical)

Some other types of weapons I was thinking about were weapons such as attachable ones that can go onto your hand like a glove. Or some weapons that are of some different more rare substance. Maybe something along the lines of acid or something... Though acid would probably fit into elemental. I need ideas for this :P

SHEET:

Name: Don't need to explain this
Age: 18-25 Unless you are a previous contestant and are now over 25.
--------------
Build: Ex~ Strength -- Endurance (I might want to change these, since they kind of interfere with the gear or vice versa.)
--------------
HP: 100/100
Armor: Ex~ Lightweight Stealth Armor [10% Neglected Damage/If hidden lesser chance of being spotted]
--------------
Weapons: Ex~ Skull Krusher Plasma Rifle (SKPR) [Charge 100%]
Abilities: Ex~ Dodge [Higher success rate for dodging]
--------------
Gear: Ex~ xTrme Shoes (Better agility, lesser chance of tripping, lesser chance of failing a quick maneuver.)
Items: Ex~ 2 Medpacks [12~24 HP] -- Blue Key -- Strange Round Object

I feel like I want to add stuff but at the same time I don't xD BLEH!

LOCATIONS:

Right so depending on what story I will be putting for this GZ the location matters. I don't want the same locations as last time, I want new and completely fresh locations.

In GZI there were a lot of enclosed areas; forests, maze, buildings, etc.
In this GZ I want probably bigger areas. Obviously I don't want to leave everyone out in the open so there will be buildings and structures and such.

From what I've got someone wants or proposed that there should be an sea area or water area. I think this is a great idea and I'll have to expand on it.

So I put the locations down to this:

~Russia in Unknown Area
~Unknown (Though I like it.. It's the same as GZI)
~Moon in Unknown Area
~Australia in Unknown Area
~Alaska in Unknown Area

If there are any other places you guys can think of please say them. And don't be shy to think out of the box, remember this is fictitious so as long as you don't exaggerate it should be fine. Something like this:

Actually Sour, what you could do is just have like a Great Lake, as a part of the arena, and then put an island in the middle. Not too big not too small just right.

It's kind of perfect for a water area.

BLAH:

So... I'll post more later. Right now I'm like... derping. My mind is blank and I'm distracted xD

Anyways all of this is subject to change so don't expect anything here to be concrete yet. If I wanted to add a new location I could
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Some other types of weapons I was thinking about were weapons such as attachable ones that can go onto your hand like a glove

I liked the idea of me finding the glove..so I think there should definitely be some items that you have planned to be on certain creatures (not consistent in similar creatures..like, if I ran into creature X..decide before I face what items he alone might have that I might be able to find on him after beating him)..but when a player defeats the creature..don't give them a hint that they should search it..make it completely up to them

Also...a random idea that would just be a for fun thing..maybe an homage to the contestants of GZI in GZII?
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

(not consistent in similar creatures..like, if I ran into creature X..decide before I face what items he alone might have that I might be able to find on him after beating him)

Lol a lot of the battles you face and a lot of the stuff they carry I usually have either planned or written down before hand... Believe it or not.

but when a player defeats the creature..don't give them a hint that they should search it..make it completely up to them

I agree here, I think this forms how a players personality builds up in the RPG. Some people are scavengers while other don't care and try and win as quickly as possible.

Also...a random idea that would just be a for fun thing..maybe an homage to the contestants of GZI in GZII?

Okay.. How exactly were you thinking I should do this? Cause I have no idea currently xD
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Some people are scavengers while other don't care and try and win as quickly as possible.

I think this idea can be most clearly seen with R2 and myself XD like when we bested that one creature..he just wanted to get out of there while I wanted to see what I could get from it

Okay.. How exactly were you thinking I should do this? Cause I have no idea currently xD

No...clue haha maybe different things for different people?
Like..one person have an area named after him that has traits in the area similar to how that person competed?
Or creatures created/designed after a certain participant
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

I don't like "xTreme Shoes" as Gear. You need cooler names. Ratchet and Clank had "Charge Boots" that blasted you forward, for example. Custom gauntlets, grappling hooks (or chains), thruster packs, special boots, whatever.

And this is why this thread is awesome.. Obviously I wasn't going to use that type of name though, it was just put there as example.

Wait...maybe we have a slot or two in our chests that hold oversized data chips, like RAM slots in a computer? Then we could have two specific ones that we could trade up for (by finding other ones in the arena or stealing from other players).

Wait what would these exactly do, it sounds interesting.

I think this idea can be most clearly seen with R2 and myself XD like when we bested that one creature..he just wanted to get out of there while I wanted to see what I could get from it

Exactly!

No...clue haha maybe different things for different people?
Like..one person have an area named after him that has traits in the area similar to how that person competed?
Or creatures created/designed after a certain participant

Ohhh.. that's an awesome idea actually.. I'll take it into consideration.

@blk2860

Wow, that's... a lot of locations. A lot of them are interesting enough that I might use them, such like the oil refinery. Thanks
sasukemystery
sasukemystery
1,447 posts
Nomad

I don't know if this might completely ruin the whole aspect of the game but maybe you could add a profession/class/job in the game and for each class you get some stat points (new feature also if you'd like) and some started items, I don't know because then it'd kinda make it look like an zombie apocalypse.
Sorry if this was posted before but it is after a very long day at school and I am very lazy to go through the posts. (I know it's just 4 pages but still)

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

So when do you plan on starting the game?

Eh I don't have an exact date on it but it'll be a few weeks after Ground Zero I ends.
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

Wow that sounds pretty freaking cool actually... Though there should be a few things changed since it seems a bit overpowered just looking at it.

Cool :P Remind me of Btooom!

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

Well currently I can't really say what will be in the game or not cause I haven't got that many new things to begin with.

I won't give away locations that are already inside the game itself. I also won't give away names for weapons or gear, etc. No spoilers.

The computer slots that Matt mentioned might be added but I'll have to see, so far that's something that is new to the RPG and these are the types of things I'm looking for.

Um some of things I already mentioned was the sheet and the rest of the stuff like what types of weapons there will be, what type of gear, etc.

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

Well out of all of these I can tell you which might be in the RPG, can't spoil it, I also might change the name of it or make it somewhat different:

Government Base:
Enemies: Government Agents, Aliens once they break free.

Cargo Ship:
Enemies: Sailors, Mermen

ISS:
Enemies: Astronauts, Scientists, Aliens

Pentagon:
Enemies: FBI, Secret Service, Scientists

Space Shuttle:
Enemies: Astronauts, Aliens

Oil Refinery:
Enemies: Scientists, Oil Workers

Sewer System:
Enemies: Mutants, Soldiers

Moon Research Center:
Enemies: Moon Aliens, Scientists

Empire State Building:
Enemies: Workers, Soldiers

Submarine:
Enemies: Divers, Marines

Might add:

~Oil Refinery
~Sewer System
~Moon Research Center *Only if I use moon as the main location, doubt it*
~Submarine
~Cargo Chip

Will not add:

~Gov Base
~ISS
~Pentagon
~Space Shuttle
~Empire State Building

The reason they won't be added is because we are in a remote location, it's unknown as to where exactly the players are and they aren't anywhere near civilization. So adding stuff like empire state building would mean putting them in New York and that won't work since the tournament takes places in a remote location :P The others might definitely work.
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

Wait, why not space shuttle? That's drifting in space. Pretty remote if you ask me.

Well for one why would you go from a random island or piece of land to outer space. I mean nothing in my head currently is coming up with any reasonable or feasible idea that could work.

Now it's not to say it's impossible cause I could add it, but.... yeah.
amorboy
amorboy
1,255 posts
Shepherd

ah i am new to this game (2 years or 1 year havnt played forum games ) but i got some neat ideas

1-why not a survivel ... we gather and defend on limited waves of some stuff zombies robots i dont know !! psychic ppl !!! and at the end (we would have no ammo and low health ...) we should fight with other survivers so its somehow a survivel king of the hill match (dunno why but its cool ya know ...)

2- its 2040 but why not powerful CQC weaponry ? comeon who doesnt like a little blood and sweat ? like old pro gladiators !

3- we NEED FACTIONS !! i mean come on ... who doesnt like to gain some stupid @$$ crazy ....... to support us ?

4- why not trying to change borders of counteries like this : iran and arabia in war and i dont know each won has won more borders and ... or like canada and brazil in war or ... its 2040 !!!

5-anyways why not power armors ? i know its a fallout dream thingy but there are juggrenauts today so in 2040 there should be some kind of a human tank ya know ?

anyways its my idea i wish you would think about them

amorboy
amorboy
1,255 posts
Shepherd

and sorry for double :

why not chips ? super expensive chips that upgrade your status ? i mean its possible than right ? modifications to body to ! i mean if you are a gladiator or some sh... you dont bother yourself if its your original hand or a titanium hand right ?

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

1-why not a survivel ... we gather and defend on limited waves of some stuff zombies robots i dont know !! psychic ppl !!! and at the end (we would have no ammo and low health ...) we should fight with other survivers so its somehow a survivel king of the hill match (dunno why but its cool ya know ...)

We've tried survival, it doesn't really work out, we just end up focusing on fights and puzzles. NO ZOMBIES. And no waves of anything, this is a tournament where everyone is against eachother. The king of the hill thing is basically what we are doing now in Ground Zero I but not really, it's just everyone is in 1 place fighting.

2- its 2040 but why not powerful CQC weaponry ? comeon who doesnt like a little blood and sweat ? like old pro gladiators !

Who said there wasn't going to be any? xD

3- we NEED FACTIONS !! i mean come on ... who doesnt like to gain some stupid @$$ crazy ....... to support us ?

Factions? Nope, this is a free for all tournament, maybe classes but not factions.

4- why not trying to change borders of counteries like this : iran and arabia in war and i dont know each won has won more borders and ... or like canada and brazil in war or ... its 2040 !!!

Wut?

5-anyways why not power armors ? i know its a fallout dream thingy but there are juggrenauts today so in 2040 there should be some kind of a human tank ya know ?

Already said that I would be adding different types of armors.

why not chips ? super expensive chips that upgrade your status ? i mean its possible than right ? modifications to body to ! i mean if you are a gladiator or some sh... you dont bother yourself if its your original hand or a titanium hand right ?

Matt has already said something of the sorts and I am highly considering of implementing it into the RPG.
Showing 16-30 of 44