ForumsThe TavernRules of the Internet -VS- Rules of Armor Games

354 50979
MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,865 posts
Bard

Are you familiar with the Rules of the Internet? There are 100 of them (most are irrelevent and/or disgusting) but a few are well-known. Feel free to look up the whole set on Urban Dictionary (shame on you), but in the interest of fairness I think we should have a set of Rules for Armor Games.

A few well-known (or generally agreed on) Internet rules are:
1. Do not talk about /b/
2. Do NOT talk about /b/
3. We are Anonymous.
--
8. There are no real rules about posting.
9. There are no real rules about moderation either â" enjoy your ban.
--
11. You must have pictures to prove your statement.
12. Lurk moar - it's never enough.
--
14. Do not argue with a troll - it means that they win.
--
16. There are NO girls on the internet.
--
31. CAPSLOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL.
32. EVEN WITH CRUISE CONTROL YOU STILL HAVE TO STEER.
--
34. (You already know Rule 34)
35. If no (Rule 34) is found, it will be created.
--
49. The internet makes you stupid.
50. Anything can be a meme.
--
62. The internet is SERIOUS FREAKIN' BUSINESS.

The "Rule of the Internet" are also up for discussion. So. "Rules of Armor Games" anyone?

• 354 Replies
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,358 posts
Templar

But people can still talk in another language outside the newcomers in fact we had many in the Tavern and in the support forums last year.

And some users use it outside the community alot.

Technically, any use of a foreign language in the forums is not allowed without special permission from the mods. In commenting, you must comment in English unless the user you are commenting to is known to understand a foreign language you comment in.
MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,865 posts
Bard

Either way, it (the foreign language thing) is common enough to be a rule. Patrick, can I replace Rule 20? It's not really a "rule" anyway.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,250 posts
Treasurer

Either way, it (the foreign language thing) is common enough to be a rule.

You should probably make a bunch of rules consisting with the main AG rules.
MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,865 posts
Bard

I'm happy with the rules the way they are, pretty much. I'm just leaving it open for debate. Once I have no objections, I'll make an official Thread for them and try to get it stickied.

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,865 posts
Bard

Final Version, Pre-Mod/Admin

-Rules of Armor Games-

Rule 1: Do not talk about Dan.
Rule 2: Do NOT talk about Dan.
Rule 3: There are three levels of users. Admins, then Mods, then you.
Rule 4: You will never be a Moderator.
Rule 4-1: Especially if you openly state you want to be one (MattEmAngel)
Rule 4-2: Especially if you try way too hard to be helpful (winmaster1)
Rule 4-3: Strop is an exception.
Rule 5: No one thinks bad spelling/grammar is funny or cool. Go away.
Rule 6: We already have a thread for "You're banned."
Rule 7: There are no real rules about posting.
Rule 7-1: Yes, there are. Enjoy your ban.
Rule 7-2: Serious mischief = banhammer.
Rule 8: There are rules for making and playing RPGs, but no one reads them.
Rule 9: If you post in Newcomers, R2D21999 will haunt your dreams.
Rule 10: "Respond with 'I love Armor Games' to prove you've read this."
Rule 11: You must have pictures to prove your statement.
Rule 11-1: You must also have links, references, quotes, and perfect grammar to prove your statement in WEPRE.
Rule 11-2: Wikipedia is not a reference.
Rule 11-3: All of your carefully-worded arguments can easily be ignored.
Rule 12: Don't argue with trolls. Report them.
Rule 13: Ferret is actually a ferret.
Rule 13-1: Gantic is actually a rabbit.
Rule 14: If you post something worse than pangtongshu, you deserve a ban.
Rule 15: Use [img] tags, not [IMG] tags. It's not complicated.
Rule 16: You are not allowed to misprint user names.
Rule 16-1: Calling R2D21999 "R2D" means punishment.
Rule 16-2: Calling pangtongshu "Pang" means death.
Rule 16-3: Calling StormWalker âSunWalkerâ means death.
Rule 16-4: Calling MattEmAngel "MattEm" doesn't even make sense.
Rule 17: There are NO girls on Armor Games.
Rule 17-1: Except pang, maybe.
Rule 17-2: StormWalker is a femalloid, whatever that means.
Rule 18: Salvidian will never tell. Never.
Rule 19: They aren't "Achievements," they're "Quests." They are far superior.
Rule 20: This is Armor Games, not Kongregate, Newgrounds or Miniclip. We don't do everything they do. You know why? Because this is Armor Games.
Rule 21: You cannot make a successful Thread in AMW.
Rule 22: Referring to yourself in the 3rd person is not cool.
Rule 22-1: killersup and thaboss are exceptions.
Rule 22-2: MrPockets had something to do with it.
Rule 23: Everything that can be found will be found in pangtongshuâs bed.
Rule 24: Armor Games still doesnât have an âEDITâ button for posts.
Rule 25: If you make two Forum Games on the same day, and they both fail, take a break.
Rule 26: Thou shalt not unfix what Matt has fixed in relation to the Rules of Armor Games.
Rule 27: COUNTING GAMES ARE NOT ALLOWED.
Rule 28: *sorry, Caps Lock was on.
Rule 29: The more you hate it, the stronger it gets.
Rule 30: See those âLegacyâ Quests? That makes me better than you.
Rule 31: The best flash games have blue elephants.
Rule 31-1: There will never be enough sequels to âThis is the Only Level.â
Rule 32: You canât find his Armatar because he got it from an Armatar Contest a year ago.
Rule 33:
Rule 34: Rule 34
Rule 35: If no (Rule 34) is found, it will be made.
Rule 36: "Sorry, ninja'd."
Rule 36-1: It is the ninja'd to be blamed for the ninja'ing, not the ninja.
Rule 37: Take two minutes to fix your spelling and grammar before posting in an RPG.
Rule 38: Hugging is needed.
Rule 39: "Hay guyz can i join rpg? i didn't read the rules or anything LOL." Go away.
Rule 40: What you click isn't always what you get.
Rule 41: Instead of making a new Thread in the "Programming Help" section, lurk.
Rule 41-1: If you don't fine your answer, lurk more.
Rule 42: Your zombie RPG is doomed to fail. Sorry in advance.
Rule 43: No one has ever asked for hunger and thirst stats in an RPG for a reason.
Rule 43-1: Because it never works.
Rule 44: Anything past Page 10 is going to be necro'd.
Rule 45: Nice question. Have you ever heard of Google?
Rule 45-1: No? Google it.
Rule 46: Play the game before you rate it. 8.5 is not a universal rating.
Rule 46-1: You can't give a game a 10.
Rule 46-2: John games are an exception.
Rule 47: Being "friended" on Armor Games is not as important as you think it is.
Rule 48: Armor Points are gone. Deal with it.
Rule 49: You don't get Armor Points for spamming comments anymore. Deal with it.
Rule 50: If you are inactive for over a month, you are pronounced dead.
Rule 50-1: Don't post on a userâs profile if the user is inactive.
Rule 51: Check their gender before you hit on them.
Rule 51-1: Unfortunately, Rule 17.
Rule 52: Don't bump your thread every five minutes if no one posts.
Rule 52-1: I said don't bump it!
Rule 53: Any thread created on April 1 will be considered a prank until April 2.
Rule 54: AG3 is still in progress.
Rule 54-1: It will be done "soon."
Rule 55: Go to "Atheism vs. Theism." Lose faith in humanity.
Rule 55-1: Your opinion is always wrong.
Rule 56: Stop telling us about your new dubstep track. We know you stole it.
Rule 57: You will never prove that the Xbox is better than the Playstation.
Rule 58: You will never prove that the Playstation is better than the Xbox.
Rule 59: Armor Games is NOT "Pay to play."
Rule 60: Forum Games that involve judging other people will always be the most popular.
Rule 60-1: Yours is a duplicate. No exceptions.
Rule 61: If you say "I leaving Armor Games forever," your profile will be stalked.
Rule 62: What has been Locked will never be Unlocked.
Rule 63: Strip. Yours is irrelevant.
Rule 64: tl;dr

---

New (or swapped around) Rule 20, 33, 48 and 62. This is the final version. If there are no objections (make them now!), I will shoot a message to Ferret and see what can be done. And use them! That's the whole point of the list.

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,865 posts
Bard

There is no Rule 33.

Wait, that's not a bad idea, actually. "Rule 33: There is no Rule 33." Currently an accident, potentially a rule.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,991 posts
Scribe

Rule 17-1: Except pang, maybe.

Gosh..newbies are going to be so confused after reading this..especially with the recent reintroduction of the gender on the profile page. I loves it
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,229 posts
Blacksmith

A few days ago a newbie asked me if he could ask a question. Of course, I told him "of course". Then he said he was scared that I wouldn't give him an answer lol.

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,865 posts
Bard

@pang this is how we warn newbies about the people here. Otherwise they'd learn it the hard way and get freaked out.

@Sal what the heck? That's kind of weird. But then you could have said "Rule whatever." By the way, if/when you post a rule, make sure you post the actual rule and not just "Rule 12" when talking to a new player. If it was R2, I'd just post "Rule 9" because he knows, and the same applies to many users here, but not the new ones. Also mention where you got it from.

Good news: I presented it to Ferret, who originally thought it was a joke but now knows a ton of effort went into it. He is considering taking it to the "AG Executive Board" or whatever you call it for approval.

Bad news: He makes two arguments against it.
One, it comes from the Rules of the Internet, and the first rule in particular is "Do not talk about Dan," which is very similar to "Do not talk about (you know what)," and younger AG users won't know what that is, so they'll Google it and end up on the most evil habitat on the Internet, and parents will be mad at AG when they find out. Personally, I think that's a bit of a stretch, since anyone who gets the reference is at a more mature age, but there are the underage users (aka, the innocent starry-eyed children) that would become curious by some other AG user saying "HEY! I get it! That's a reference to.."

Two, younger users aren't going to get the "Rule 34" joke and will probably Google it, which will get AG in trouble. I have to agree. Plus, it's not really an AG rule. "Rule 34" content isn't allowed so there's no point. I told him that if he thinks we should get rid of it, he should provide me with two replacement rules.

However, he thinks the idea has potential. All we have to do is kick the non-AG references down a notch or two. Comments?

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,865 posts
Bard

^That post is probably going to get removed. Read fast, guys. I need input.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,229 posts
Blacksmith

I doubt it'll get removed. Someone else left a post somewhere with something in it that probably/might/possibly/should have been removed but wasn't. This is nowhere in comparison. I won't go into further detail.

Anyway, yeah, this'd be cool if we could do something with it. All we have to do is removed those two rules and be on with it, right?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,991 posts
Scribe

"HEY! I get it! That's a reference to.."

..Fight Club. Which the original rule is a reference to

Anyways..I'm sure you could just change it to John..and then we just say that it brings up bad memories (of course, we are joking..I think..) and it shouldn't be talked about.

As for the other one..for the safety of those accursed children..changing it can be simple. We just bring back me killing Sal with Death. Lots of it

---

In more serious manner..

If AG wanted to keep themselves protected..they could keep the "Do not talk about ___" and just state it was from Fight Club, but changing it altogether shouldn't be too difficult. If we wanted to be "user-friendly" we could just go the route of "have fun"..but, of course, I'd murder someone for it going to cliche..but you get the gist of what I'm saying..some simple rule that would be inviting for a younging

The other rule can be scraped easily..maybe just add back a discarded rule that could fit well back into the thread...or, there isn't one (in case I accidentally looked over a rule or 2) maybe a rule stating that there needs to be only one thread per, say, flash game. Something along those lines
(because, if you pay notice, when a flash game is released and does really well and is really popular..then suddenly the Flash Games section has the first 2 pages basically just full of threads talking about the same game..and sometimes even the topic of the game)
Kasic
Kasic
5,598 posts
Scribe

Rule 41-1: If you don't fine your answer, lurk more.

Typo for find.

Rule 59: Armor Games is NOT "Pay to play."

Pay should not be capitalized.

Rule 61: If you say "I leaving Armor Games forever," your profile will be stalked.

I needs to become I'm.
MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,865 posts
Bard

I doubt it'll get removed. Someone else left a post somewhere with something in it that probably/might/possibly/should have been removed but wasn't. This is nowhere in comparison. I won't go into further detail.

I agree but you can't be too careful.

Anyway, yeah, this'd be cool if we could do something with it. All we have to do is removed those two rules and be on with it, right?

It's unknown as of now. Ferret hasn't (and can't, really) make any promises. He has to present it to the other admins/mods and they have to discuss it or whatever the process is.

..Fight Club. Which the original rule is a reference to

Oh. Really? Fantastic. Unless that's a vile, R-rated movie that kids might somehow look up and watch and then tell their parents, who will blame Armor Games.

Anyways..I'm sure you could just change it to John..and then we just say that it brings up bad memories (of course, we are joking..I think..) and it shouldn't be talked about.

No, it needs to stay as Dan, because no one talks about Dan McNeely, ever, at all.

As for the other one..for the safety of those accursed children..changing it can be simple. We just bring back me killing Sal with Death. Lots of it

I like how death is not offensive. Regardless, I can't make that a rule because it's not true. I think. But as long as Sal is posting, it's not a rule.

---

If AG wanted to keep themselves protected..they could keep the "Do not talk about ___" and just state it was from Fight Club, but changing it altogether shouldn't be too difficult. If we wanted to be "user-friendly" we could just go the route of "have fun"..but, of course, I'd murder someone for it going to cliche..but you get the gist of what I'm saying..some simple rule that would be inviting for a younging

I agree. But I don't want to change it either, because, oddly enough, you do NOT talk about Dan. I didn't even realize how true that rule is until recently. I also agree that making it "Have fun and be respectful" would be nauseating, especially when it is followed by many ways to die, be punished or experience humiliation. Plus, the "Have fun" thing is already in the official set of community rules.

The other rule can be scrapped easily..maybe just add back a discarded rule that could fit well back into the thread...or, there isn't one (in case I accidentally looked over a rule or 2) maybe a rule stating that there needs to be only one thread per, say, flash game. Something along those lines
(because, if you pay notice, when a flash game is released and does really well and is really popular..then suddenly the Flash Games section has the first 2 pages basically just full of threads talking about the same game..and sometimes even the topic of the game)

There isn't a rule about flash game threads. It's kind of hard to make one, though. A new game comes out. Why would you wait around to see if someone else will post first? Then again, people do make duplicate threads for the attention in just about every section, although I think I have a rule for that. I'm not planning on reviving any removed rules because they were duplicates or weren't really rules. Either way, we do need to do something about Rule 34 and 35, unless there's an armor games version..."There is ____. No exceptions." For a thread or topic or something. But it would have to be big. Plus the "If none exists, it will be made."

Rule 34: If it has Quests, there is a thread for it. No exceptions.
Rule 35: If there is no thread, it will be made.

o_0

Kasic, thanks. I have the rules saved on my iPad and on my laptop, but they keep changing. That was from the laptop. The iPad version has no typos. I'll make the changes before the next update.
MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,865 posts
Bard

Rule 34: If it has Quests, there is a thread for it. No exceptions.
Rule 35: If no thread is found, it will be made.

HA! A very smooth, and very true, Rule 34 and 35 of Armor Games! There isn't a rule for that subject already, and it fits perfectly! Thank pang for the idea. Comments?

Showing 196-210 of 354