ForumsNews and FeedbackHas AG finally gone Pay-to-Play?

10 5749
CatonaRock
CatonaRock
323 posts
Justiciar

Has AG finally gone Pay-to-Play and is it a good thing? I'm curious as to everyone's opinion.

Of course there's been an increasing number of MMO's advertised on the site. But these are all other companies' creations that AG is showing, and I've never had a problem with this since they are just links to the other games and makes AG even an easier spot to find all the games you want.

My question revolves around Gemcraft Labyrinth, the final Quest. You are supposed to beat 150 fields and get two challenge amulets. While beating the fields is easy playing for free, the challenge amulets are not. In fact, many of them, such as reaching 100 waves, are impossible unless you buy the premium edition that unlocks the 'endless waves' option.

So does this represent that certain Quests might become only Pay-to-Play? Such as on Jagex's FunOrb? How do you feel about that? Obviously AG needs to make money and pay their wonderful employees, but what are your thoughts on the matter?

Please try to keep responses civil so we can have a reasoned discussion.

As a side note, if anyone ha suggestions on how to get the final Gemcraft Labyrinth Quest for free, please let me know. Thanks!

• 10 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Pay-to-Play is a term that means &quotaid subscription before starting a game", in which case ArmorGames does none of that.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

You can get two challenge amulets in Gemcraft as a free member, the 1 and 1.5 million damage ones.

All quests so far are achievable as a free member, and I wouldn't like it if they added premium necessary ones. I don't have a good argument for why they shouldn't, I just don't own a credit/debit card to pay for premium and AG is advertised as a free site. When they start making it necessary to pay-to-play then it isn't free anymore and shouldn't be advertised as such. I believe premium should be entirely optional to advance in a game, not required.

UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
7,043 posts
Grand Duke

These MMOs are not "Pay to play", they are a different category... "Free to play"... and the majority can easily be called "Free to Play... Pay to win"... if you dont like them, dont play them...

And there is nothing to say about Premium-Content, GemCraft is still a very good game without Premium... or Kingdom Rush, so you dont need it. Sure in GemCraft some of the amulets are "Premimu-only"... but who cares?

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Even &quotay to win" isn't right. Maybe to accomplish 100% in collection and extra content, but no flash game requires premium content to beat. Even that Kingdom Rush ending challenge that had me stumped was beatable later on.

CatonaRock
CatonaRock
323 posts
Justiciar

Thank you, though my intent was not to start a discussion on my word choice. How about I say should AG have games that are "Pay to get all Quests"?

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

You almost make it sound like quests are a relevant part of the game.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

You almost make it sound like quests are a relevant part of the game.

They are. Or at least quests are relevant to AG, though the in-game quests are less important.
UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
7,043 posts
Grand Duke

Even &quotay to win" isn't right. Maybe to accomplish 100% in collection and extra content, but no flash game requires premium content to beat. Even that Kingdom Rush ending challenge that had me stumped was beatable later on.

Dont get me wrong, i dont mean Kingdom Rush or other Flashgames with premium content , im fine with them.

"Pay to win" was a statemeent only about the MMOs (mabye not on every one, but some of them require pament to get the best gear or you cant play without breaks if you dont pay. I remember one that says after a few "Game-days" ive need to pay "tokens" or i have to wait a while (that time expands the longer the game runs)... thats also a kind of "Pay to win"... or lets expand it and say "Pay for an easy win"... better i stop here, cuz im splitting hairs now).
boppins
boppins
774 posts
Bard

All Quests should be achievable without pay content.

28 posts
Peasant

Well if some quests do turn out like that, think of it this way AG's employes have to make money somehow and if they don't then what will happen to AG. So they would some very good reasons for it.

Showing 1-10 of 10