Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Steubenville

Posted Mar 20, '13 at 4:50am

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,633 posts

I found a petition to rage at CNN for their idiocy:
Link

Posted Mar 20, '13 at 12:58pm

Strop

Strop

10,823 posts

I'm still keeping up with ongoing coverage (from sources independent of the US media consortium), and am heartened to see at least that the two convicted seem to have apologised for their conduct, and that there's scope for the victim to move on from this incident (according to press statements from her lawyer). I've also caught wind of the rumour that further charges against other people may yet be laid. It's important for the sake of a system that purports to effect justice that everybody culpable is trialled.

Survey statistics indicate that up to 1 in 3 females have been the victim of some form of sexual misconduct. It's also the case that less than 1% of alleged sexual assaults results in a completed trial, because it's such a convoluted, expensive and exposing process. It's also rare (and in a twisted sense fortuitous) to have such ready access to self-incriminating evidence so thoughtlessly distributed across public channels.

Hopefully when those kids get out of juvie they'll take whatever opportunity they can get to serve a proper, lifelong penance, and not try to forget this sorry chapter.

Posted Mar 20, '13 at 4:02pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,156 posts

Suppression of real justice on criminals due to hypothetical or present fame promotes inequality of citizens, and the USA has a rough, rough history of doing this, hell, even more than other developed countries (see: Chris Brown, OJ Simpson, Justin Timberlake, Michael Vick). Being the victim of a rape charge because the plaintiff was unconscious is akin to "It's not my fault I killed the family by setting their house on fire--they shouldn't have been asleep at the time". What's another tragic case where the media focused on the defendant and not at all on the victims? The school shooting where multiple children and faculty members were killed.

It shouldn't even be a matter of money either, since any coin flip you have a tragic, viral story where many people are tuning in to listen to developments. It's just a wrong, WRONG mindset these people are having.

Invoking Godwin's Law: "We shouldn't have gone to war with Hitler and pushed him to suicide: Who knows? He might have been a famous artist after WW2 was over!"

Posted Mar 20, '13 at 4:04pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,676 posts

sorry Pang, to harsh on your vibe.

Actually..I heard about it before you posted it up. Then it was left to simmer

Hopefully when those kids get out of juvie

Wait..you're kidding..right? They are only going to juvie for their actions?

Posted Mar 20, '13 at 4:10pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,156 posts

The only thing that amounts to any sense of the word judgment is they will register as sex offenders when they leave, meaning they will have a slim chance of having love again.

Posted Mar 21, '13 at 7:52am

Strop

Strop

10,823 posts

Personally given the record of the events, I would not dispute the finding that these actions were callous and depraved but also not specifically with intent (like the difference between a first and second degree murder). Both the defendants and victim were under 18. And I'm not sure which is worse, but being sent to an adult institution in this context would seem highly counterproductive. I'm thinking of the future here, but I suppose it remains to be seen whether the defendants' contrition is genuine, or only because they got caught.

Posted Mar 21, '13 at 7:56am

roydotor2000

roydotor2000

250 posts

Why rape exists anyway?

Posted Mar 21, '13 at 8:14am

wolf1991

wolf1991

3,061 posts

In recent news there's going to be an appeal on the grounds that... The defendant's brain was not fully developed and therefore incapable of making a proper decision.

Seriously, this case is growing more insulting and ridiculous by the day. Can we not just hang these people?

Posted Mar 21, '13 at 8:59am

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,633 posts

In recent news there's going to be an appeal on the grounds that... The defendant's brain was not fully developed and therefore incapable of making a proper decision.

Football player legal matters.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbiqec1JUw1ri1mxoo1_400.gif[
Wow. That is the pure definition of stupidity.

Posted Mar 21, '13 at 4:26pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,676 posts

Why rape exists anyway?

Ok..seriously?

In recent news there's going to be an appeal on the grounds that... The defendant's brain was not fully developed and therefore incapable of making a proper decision

Oh good..brb guys..gonna go do me some rape. Apparently some BS reasons are ready to defend me

Reply to Steubenville

You must be logged in to post a reply!