Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Steubenville

Posted Apr 11, '13 at 3:17am

Getoffmydangle

Getoffmydangle

148 posts

I really hate it when westerners voice their  opposition to our culture and beliefs, as I don\\\\t criticize their's although i don't like it much

Why?  Because it forces you to self-reflect, and potentially grow as a person?   Or because it forces you to defend immoral and outdated practices that only persisted into the modern era due to physical, religious, and political oppression, bigotry, sexism, and a lack of education?

Voicing opposition to things is how things get solved and made better.  If you don't have a debate about something, problems and injustices will be allowed to continue.   Make the world a better place than you found it.  If, from your perspective, you see problems with western culture, shout it out, but be willing to listen to alternate perspectives.   Trust me, There are tons of problems in western cultures and I personally complain about a lot of them.... frequently.

Posted Apr 12, '13 at 11:43am

Strop

Strop

10,823 posts

Right, since you guys are talking about it, at first I was thinking of bringing up a case with parallels that originated in Halifax, CA. But instead, I will cite this article:

Saudi Arabia's Religious Police Outlaw Tempting Eyes

I am aware the article itself is written from a so-called "Western perspective". Let's just focus on the facts instead: that quoted sources verify that the Saudi Arabia Religious Police have decreed they will force a woman to cover their eyes if they are deemed "tempting", whatever the heck this means. I will also draw another quote from the article to give this some perspective and also to seek clarification from followers of Islam faith, in particular anybody who might be living in Saudi Arabia (as extremely unlikely as this will be as there's a hostile gulf between the cultures, as you can kind of see here):

Prince Naif, recently appointed heir to the throne, has said: “The committee is supported by all sides ... It should be supported because it is a pillar from Islam. If you are a Muslim, you should support the committee.”

Comments?

Posted Apr 12, '13 at 6:40pm

thepunisher93

thepunisher93

1,858 posts

Right, since you guys are talking about it, at first I was thinking of bringing up a case with parallels that originated in Halifax, CA. But instead, I will cite this article:

I am aware the article itself is written from a so-called "Western perspective". Let's just focus on the facts instead: that quoted sources verify that the Saudi Arabia Religious Police have decreed they will force a woman to cover their eyes if they are deemed "tempting", whatever the heck this means. I will also draw another quote from the article to give this some perspective and also to seek clarification from followers of Islam faith, in particular anybody who might be living in Saudi Arabia (as extremely unlikely as this will be as there's a hostile gulf between the cultures, as you can kind of see here):

Shocked

Posted Apr 12, '13 at 6:46pm

thepunisher93

thepunisher93

1,858 posts

Shocked

I live here and have not heard about it need to get out more.
As far as I have heard it, they are reducing privliges of muttawwas(Religiouse police as known by public).

Posted Apr 14, '13 at 1:42am

Strop

Strop

10,823 posts

As far as I have heard it, they are reducing privliges of muttawwas(Religiouse police as known by public).

I do need some confirmation of that... various smatterings of news has indicated in some countries this may be the case, but different things are happening in different countries.

What I (and most of us) don't have is any insight into a lot of the culture, as to rationales for what we perceive as gender inequality. Anything would be good, but that may be something for another thread.

Posted Apr 14, '13 at 2:37am

Drunkun

Drunkun

26 posts

CNN didn't even mention the girl in some parts of the news segment. It just shows how stupid and news-thirsty they are. They don't even give any sympathy to the family of the girl. Kudos to Anonymous for helping bring some justice to society, albeit illegally.

Posted Apr 14, '13 at 4:54am

Strop

Strop

10,823 posts

Anon has a bit of a chequered record with these crusades. Some of them result in something approaching justice happening, as was the case here. Others target the wrong people and ruin an innocent person's life. And others, while most likely justifiably indignant, criticise the wrong party and end up being counterproductive.

Reply to Steubenville

You must be logged in to post a reply!