ForumsPopular Media[necro]Dubstep or Rock and Roll?

29 16634
Mr_Casas
Mr_Casas
68 posts
Peasant

Both are very popular and well known, but which do you think is the best? Personally, I love Rock and Roll, some Dubstep is okay, but to me Rock has more feeling and purpose in it's songs/lyrics. Dubstep is Transformer music trying to summon the Decepticons on us and destroy the world! But what do you guys think?

• 29 Replies
Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

I don't understand what people like about dubstep, honestly. Someone is going to have to explain the appeal to me.

Are you asking about rock in general, or just rock and roll, which is generally associated with pre-Beatles rock music? If the latter, I'm not sure how you can compare two entirely different genres that are 50 years apart from each other. It's like comparing apples to saber-tooth tigers.

Mr_Casas
Mr_Casas
68 posts
Peasant

Well, each have different genera's or branches that lead off, Rock and Roll leads to Rock, Metal, Heavy Metal, Alternative Rock, Classic Rock, Punk Rock, etc. And Dubstep, well..... there electric, electric sounds like, Bwamp, Donnnnng, Beeeeepepepepeeeeeeb, Ciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........... and more unusual sounds.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

1) Comparing a main/overlaying genre with a subgenre. No

2) You seem to have a low understanding of what dubstep actually is. What you are describing is brostep and/or glitch-hop
I'm assuming you aren't even talking about those genres either..but of Skrillex..correct?

tkmax2499
tkmax2499
12 posts
Nomad

Rock and Roll because it sounds epic, is fun and is harder to make good.,

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Rock and Roll... But I mean like older music. The new rock kinda sucks... :P Don't get me wrong I can like dubstep but just not as much.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I have never really cared for the sound of Dubstep, and I'm not a big fan of Rock and Roll either (depends on which musician.)

I have to go with Rock n' Roll on this one.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

1) Comparing a main/overlaying genre with a subgenre. No

Huh?

2) You seem to have a low understanding of what dubstep actually is. What you are describing is brostep and/or glitch-hop

Such fancy terms are nice for those who actually listen to that music a lot and can make the difference, but for all others, it's just dubstep. No need to bash people for that; I wouldn't expect that people know what progressive technical death metal is, for example.

Anyway, rock'n'roll all the way. Mostly the good ol' one, Chuck Berry and consorts. It's simple yet so entertaining, rhythmed and original. I never listened much to any kind of dubstep, but it doesn't sound like the kind of music I like, or even casually would listen to. Too uninteresting.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Rock. A laptop simply cannot compete with it.

redfan45
redfan45
197 posts
Nomad

Rock and roll if you mean rock and roll as in like 1950s rockabilly and stuff.
I don't like dubstep at all and I love most EDM genres too.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Huh?

Rock and Roll is a genre that encompasses a large number of subgenres..while dubstep is merely a subgenre. He is trying to make a debate over a type of music with a wide variety that a person can choose from with just a specific type of music

Such fancy terms are nice for those who actually listen to that music a lot and can make the difference, but for all others, it's just dubstep. No need to bash people for that; I wouldn't expect that people know what progressive technical death metal is, for example

I wouldn't have a need to bring it up if he didn't try to insult dubstep like how annoying Youtube comments do...and insulting the wrong subgenre in the process
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

To put the genre thing in perspective..it'd be like saying

Which is better...Adventure Games or the Need for Speed series

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

Rock and Roll is a genre that encompasses a large number of subgenres..

I don't know if I agree with that completely. I would say rock is the encompassing genre, while rock and roll, the original form of modern rock, can only be considered a sub-genre of rock.

Of course, since it's generally affiliated with the time period as well as the content of the music (in a time when there weren't super-specific sub-genres such as "bro-step" or "glitch-hop&quot, comparing rock and roll to dubstep is still ridiculous.
kirks011
kirks011
178 posts
Farmer

I love how by asking one simple question everyone gets so caught up in compicated matters such as sub-genres. But anyways, I disagree with your complicated statements on the matter. Rock can be considered its own genre, with absolutely no sub genres if you are specific enough. The rock im guessing hes referring to is stuff like what Three Days Grace used to produce. Such as songs like "Just Like You". When you think of sub genres of general rock (non-specific) you think of alternative rock, psot hardcore, hard rock, soft rock, and down rock. But really, Rock music in a specific form is not like any of the others. Alt rock usually includes synthesizers that make it a mixture of rock and techno with a bit of a lean towards rock. HARD ROCK is just where the musicians pick up chords like diminished fourhts and creepy, upbeat music like so. For example some songs by Avenged Sevenfold. Soft rock, is an almost pop like version of rock. Not too hard to understand. But then what we came to talk about, our specific rock. Put some power chords chugging on a electric guitar, get the drums on a basic 4/4 beat with some fills here and there, and get a singer with a good put it out there voice, and there we have it. Rock in its pure-ist form.

Anyways, now that i've settled that matter, I can easily state i like rock more than dubstep. Just because of its more meaningful lyrics, pretty much exactly how Mr_Casas said it.

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

The rock im guessing hes referring to is stuff like what Three Days Grace used to produce. Such as songs like "Just Like You".

Definitely rock, but I wouldn't classify it as rock and roll.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

The rock im guessing hes referring to is stuff like what Three Days Grace used to produce. Such as songs like "Just Like You".

No. Good old fashioned Rock and roll is a fusion of jazz, blues, country and rock, popular nearly half a century ago. Three Days sounds nothing like that. Basically your entire post is unrelated to rock and roll. It's just rock.

When you think of sub genres of general rock (non-specific) you think of alternative rock, psot hardcore, hard rock, soft rock, and down rock.

Post-hardcore is a punk sub genre.
Showing 1-15 of 29