Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Modifying White Blood Cells?

Posted Mar 21, '13 at 5:55pm

blk2860

blk2860

4,529 posts

So, have you heard about it? Doctors modified white blood cells by extracting them from the patients, and then infusing them with the means of fighting cancer. The then put the white blood cells back into the patients. 4 out of the 5 patients were healthy enough for a bone marrow transplant. Do you think that this will have side effects to the patients? Do you think this is a good way of treating cancer? The reason the doctors tried this new method was because one type of cancer evolved to resist Chemotherapy. I personally think there may be some minor side effects, and I think they should start using this on a large scale.

Posted Mar 21, '13 at 6:21pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,086 posts

Knight

I think I've heard it already, or something similar related to aids and T-lymphozytes.

As far as I know/guess, the thing is to use the blood cells to apply the treatment specifically to the affected region/cells using the body's targeting abilities. In such a case, either the treatment is effective, or it isn't and the blood cells are recycled together with the medicament. I don't think there are many risks, but only long-time surveys on a large sample size will show.

Just a request: can you provide a link? And explain which type of cancer "evolved to resist" chemotherapy? Because cancer =/= virus; unless you mean the cancer of an individual ends up resisting the chemotherapy, I don't see what you mean.

Posted Mar 21, '13 at 9:02pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

NPR this morning that the trial effectively cured Leukemia in 9 days.

I'm interested to see where this goes. There was a similar trial in France where individuals with an auto-immune disease were injected with the correct genes for functioning T-cells, but then later developed leukemia as a result. What remains to be seen is if this won't end just the same.

Posted Mar 21, '13 at 10:30pm

blk2860

blk2860

4,529 posts

It's not online, I watched it on the news.

Posted Mar 22, '13 at 8:32am

partydevil

partydevil

5,109 posts

Posted Apr 14, '13 at 3:44pm

yielee

yielee

596 posts

What about all the minorities who have cancer?

Posted Apr 14, '13 at 4:25pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,220 posts

Those are "White Blood Cells", not "white Blood Cells", Yielee.

Posted Apr 14, '13 at 10:41pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,691 posts

Knight

What about all the minorities who have cancer?

In case this wasn't a joke. White blood cells have nothing to do with ethnicity.

"White blood cells (WBCs), or leukocytes, are a part of the immune system and help our bodies fight infection. They circulate in the blood so that they can be transported to an area where an infection has developed."
http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/h … blood2.htm

"The name "white blood cell" derives from the fact that after centrifugation of a blood sample, the white cells are found in the buffy coat, a thin, typically white layer of nucleated cells between the sedimented red blood cells and the blood plasma."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_blood_cell

Reply to Modifying White Blood Cells?

You must be logged in to post a reply!