Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

General SciMaTech Thread

Posted Mar 22, '13 at 5:54pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

Because the previous editions of the math and science threads have been dead too long for any hope of resuscitation, I'm giving birth to a new generation for the math, science and technology lovers of this generation. Feel free to discuss anything regarding the unbelievably general topics of math, science and technology here.

SciMaTech is a shorthand version of writing science, math and technology if that wasn't obvious. ;)

Posted Mar 22, '13 at 6:59pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

DeExtinction

Ironic, given that this thread is a revival. XD

But is DeExtinction worthwhile? Should it be done?

On the one hand, it'd be rather cool to see a Whooly Mammoth or a Chinese River Dolphin. But how would we know if they just wouldn't go extinct again?

Posted Mar 22, '13 at 8:12pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

On the one hand, it'd be rather cool to see a Whooly Mammoth or a Chinese River Dolphin.

No argument here.

But how would we know if they just wouldn't go extinct again?

Exactly! Surely a Whooly Mammoth couldn't ever survive in the relatively hot temperatures of today, what with global warming and all. Not to mention the fact they'd be extremely susceptible to predators, specifically poachers, and who knows how drastic the seemingly subtle changes are to the creatures?

---

Let's take all of these bad chemistry jokes and barium.

Anyone got any good science jokes? ;D

Posted Mar 22, '13 at 8:21pm

Terry_Logic

Terry_Logic

4,219 posts

But is DeExtinction worthwhile? Should it be done?

Releasing these animals into the ecosystem wouldn't necessarily be useful, but breeding them entirely in captivity for educational purposes, i.e. zoos, wildlife museums, doesn't sound like a complete waste of resources. Yes, it would be expensive at first, but think of how much money the museum/zoo with the world's only living mammoths would make.

Posted Mar 22, '13 at 9:17pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

What is chemistry cat made of?

Iron, Lithium, and Neon.

Posted Mar 22, '13 at 9:37pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

^Ha.

An ion was walking down the street and asked a second ion if he'd seen a stray electron floating around because he'd lost it. The second ion said, "No, I haven't. Are you sure you lost it?" "Yes! I'm positive!" replied the first ion.

Posted Mar 22, '13 at 10:59pm

daleks

daleks

3,296 posts

I remember that old math thread. Pretty cool users posted on it. Argued about 1=.999... Good times.

Anyway, what are the point of imaginary numbers? When are they used in a real world setting?

Posted Mar 22, '13 at 11:04pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

Anyway, what are the point of imaginary numbers? When are they used in a real world setting?

They aren't. They're a lot like logarithms in that you use them as variables to substitute to find other stuff.

Though, I'll admit logarithms are occasionally used for exponential stuff, but rarely. They're too perfect and unnatural.

Posted Mar 22, '13 at 11:22pm

ironblade41

ironblade41

523 posts

How do algebra geeks say I love you?

i is less than three times u.

Posted Mar 23, '13 at 11:54am

Terry_Logic

Terry_Logic

4,219 posts

Anyone got any good science jokes? ;D

In the immortal words of the Chemistry Cat, I think all the good chemistry jokes Argon.

Reply to General SciMaTech Thread

You must be logged in to post a reply!