ForumsSupport Forum[Answered] Downloading game every time.

16 14591
johnnypstl
johnnypstl
3 posts
Peasant

Hi,
I run win7, ff 19.0.2 (latest) and latest flash.

Lately, I've been having this problem that when I shutdown my browser after playing a game then re open it starts to re-download it. How come it's not stored anymore like it used to.

This wouldn't be a big deal if I was working on an awesome cable connection of 30mb or something but, I work on a 1.5Mb DSL. First, it takes forever to dload a 30MB file and secondly, I can't do anything else while this is happening.

There must be a solution. I wasn't like this before.

Thanks for your help.

• 16 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Make sure your browser settings are set to save cookies and cache. Don't clear your cookies or cache unless it's necessary. They serve to load previously visited pages faster.

What browser are you using, by the way?

n_i_t_e
n_i_t_e
2 posts
Scribe

it happens to me too. on both chrome in my home laptop and firefox in my work!
it started lately. The game cached in browser is removed few hours after last time playing it. it is very annoying. I make sure cookies saving are enabled and this stuff. they always are. I just don't understand why this happens

funheri
funheri
1 posts
Nomad

it happens to me too (use chrome & opera), only on armorgames, it doesn't happen on other flash game websites.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

This is usually settings, or space saving programs that clear cache and cookies. So I'd take a look at those first. We don't have anything set on our website to force you to re-download it over and over again, frankly it's not a good experience and plus we'd not want to have the bandwidth issue.

pjaguilar
pjaguilar
3 posts
Nomad

Hi!!!

It's happening to me too, i'm using Google Chrome (which doesn't have an option to clear the cache on exit, and i never clear it myself... also, tried disabling ALL extensions and plugins, leaving only Flash enabled, but did the same again)...

A curious thing: If i close the tab when the download is not finished, it resumes at the point where i've closed it... but if the download is complete and i close the tab, the download starts again from ZERO!!! Is making me crazy!!! :-)

Anybody that had this problem fixed it?

Thanks!!!!

pjaguilar
pjaguilar
3 posts
Nomad

Well, i've tried a variety of Firefox (Waterfox), and it does exactly the same!!! so it's not Chrome...

Disabled antivirus and firewall, set the Flash cache to Unlimited, and keeps doing this with both browsers... I'm using Windows 7 ultimate, and i'm not using any software like CCleaner...

What can i do?

Thanks!!!!!

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

What can i do?

No idea, but to chime in with Ferret above: I can't see how this would be at AG's end. I think it must be up to user settings.

(... And now thinking some more & out loud: The only thing I can think of is as games get larger, or generally much of anything we do on the web, they, or a stack of them + other things you do and browse around, may exceed your page file, which will then start auto-purging, so basically cause you to lose your cache and history contents. If I put that right.)
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

nb

page file

Also referred to as swap file, in case that rings more of a bell with some.

I was thinking meanwhile that I'm not sure now, whether it should auto-purge upon shutdown by default; but methinks certainly for users who never clean up anything, and/or perhaps leave their machine always on, it will probably be "full" so stretched to its limits all the time. So will then remove/overwrite whatever exceeds it, or that it finds redundant going by whatever parameters it uses, all the time.

As usual, I will gladly hear it if I'm talking out of my behind. Live to learn, & all that, and that much of a techie I honestly ain't, either
pjaguilar
pjaguilar
3 posts
Nomad

Thank you very much for the sugestion Macll...

I agree that the problem it's in our end, but i can't find where is the issue... just closing the tab or reloading it, causes the game to download again (only if it finished downloading, if not, it resumes where it left)...

Also, i can find the .sol files, but i can't find the .swf or tmp file that corresponds to the game (Kingdom Rush Frontiers in this case)... If i found it, i can take ownership of the folder and set the permissions to see if that helps...

Thanks again!!!!

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Y'r welcome, PJ. Hope I was making any sense.

take ownership of the folder and set the permissions

Again not sure if of much help to you, but I've been using BetterPrivacy of late, find it a (very) handy tool. I guess that's a Firefox-only plugin; oh, and I do see now you mention being on Chrome. Hmmm.

Maybe something similar can be found for it? Incidentally, I think .sol files are pretty much all I deal with these days -- but I very well may be mistaken, off the top of my head.

Ah and then nnb, I realize now you do mention Kingdom Rush Frontiers -- Ferret here has mentioned it as an example of a Very Large game, I don't think it's gonna stick in your cache no matter what you do. Maybe set your swap file to yonks, but I don't think that's desirable for other reasons. You'll realize and if I'm not mistaken, in its default Windows settings it can expand at will as necessary, right, then will shrink again. Whilst conversely most instructions you'll find on manually setting its size will be dubious at best, no matter how convincing-sounding.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

ps As far as I'm aware, though, the .sol files or whatever just function like a cookie, indeed, so will contain whatever data strings necessary to "remember" you, i.e., to store your savegame.

That doesn't equal storing the full game, so yes, you will still have to download it anew, if it isn't stored somewhere in temporary memory or somesuch. All it will pick from the flash cookie/LSO presumably is just the data to designate where you were at, in the game.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Although (later, upon some further pondering),

the .sol files or whatever

I guess that's why you're looking to take control of the .swf or .tmp files

i'm not sure if it can be done (to set them for keeps), but let us know if you find a way From the stating the obvious again dept., you'll want to look for those files as the game is loaded, right; not after it's gone.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

... Though checking for you (and keeping myself busy ), loading a random game and saving locally, all I can find or see are directories marked swf; what they contain are still .sol files.

I've a feeling you know what to look for, but so as another redundant remark, you'll know what locations to look at, right? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_shared_object#File_locations . It +a disk search +said BetterPrivacy leads me no further.

As said, I think .sol files are pretty much all I've been seeing for quite some time, whenever I look at it; but the Flash structure beyond this I have very little to say on.

Maybe a final check I could do is to see how a game that's known to be small, and saves locally, gets stored, if at all differently.

Grandirus
Grandirus
1 posts
Nomad

I don't know if it is a solution, but it worked for me.
First I add the armorgames.com to the list of permited flash sites (Control Panel > Flash).
Second, I disable ADblock addon. (Google Chrome)
Now I can close tab, exit, restart PC, enter again and play game without wait.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

nb

[quote=MacII]I've been using BetterPrivacy of late, find it a (very) handy tool. I guess that's a Firefox-only plugin; oh, and I do see now you mention being on Chrome. Hmmm.

Maybe something similar can be found for it?[/quote]

I realize this is an older thread I'm responding to, however I only just noticed that the same Wikipedia page describing LSO's/flash cookies also mentions management software for them for various platforms: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_shared_object#Editors_and_toolkits . Note: Given "as is," I'm not familiar with any of these other tools & so won't vouch for them.

Showing 1-15 of 16