ForumsWEPRPeak oil

38 16131
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

oil prices are getting higher! So what's the best, cheap,and updated fuel source to replace oil. Post solutions pls.view;_ylt=A2oKiHAzsE5RNXMAdKa1Rwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fph.images.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dpeak%2Boil%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dyfp-t-711%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D13&w=1024&h=768&imgurl=8020vision.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2010%2F09%2FPeak_Oil_2.png&rurl=http%3A%2F%2F8020vision.com%2F2010%2F09%2F03%2Fgerman-military-study-warns-of-potential-energy-crisis%2F&size=88.1+KB&name=%3Cb%3EPeak+Oil+%3C%2Fb%3EStudy+Leaked+by+German+Military+Think+Tank&amp<i class==peak+oil&oid=f54e60060454053ec8b12ab1dfb489b3&fr2=&fr=yfp-t-711&tt=%253Cb%253EPeak%2BOil%2B%253C%252Fb%253EStudy%2BLeaked%2Bby%2BGerman%2BMilitary%2BThink%2BTank&b=0&ni=128&no=13&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=12o2vlpq0&sigb=132gvuha3&sigi=11olrnvvb&.crumb=fhE6udOUV7g&fr=yfp-t-711" alt="http://ph.images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A2oKiHAzsE5RNXMAdKa1Rwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fph.images.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dpeak%2Boil%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dyfp-t-711%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D13&w=1024&h=768&imgurl=8020vision.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2010%2F09%2FPeak_Oil_2.png&rurl=http%3A%2F%2F8020vision.com%2F2010%2F09%2F03%2Fgerman-military-study-warns-of-potential-energy-crisis%2F&size=88.1+KB&name=%3Cb%3EPeak+Oil+%3C%2Fb%3EStudy+Leaked+by+German+Military+Think+Tank&amp=peak+oil&oid=f54e60060454053ec8b12ab1dfb489b3&fr2=&fr=yfp-t-711&tt=%253Cb%253EPeak%2BOil%2B%253C%252Fb%253EStudy%2BLeaked%2Bby%2BGerman%2BMilitary%2BThink%2BTank&b=0&ni=128&no=13&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=12o2vlpq0&sigb=132gvuha3&sigi=11olrnvvb&.crumb=fhE6udOUV7g&fr=yfp-t-711" />

don't post something offensive pls.

• 38 Replies
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

oil prices are getting higher!

Seasonal demand and inflation, more than anything else.

Horizontal drilling, fracking, and the boon in natural gas means we'll be in oil for a long time yet. Oil fields in North Dakota, Canada, and in South America have been discovered in the last several years, and will provide oil for many years to come.

None of the radical alternatives to oil have any market viability. Remember Solyndra?
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

As far as I know, us will surpass Saudi Arabia in next 20 years and Saudi Arabia has planned to harvest solar energy and export it to Europe.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Horizontal drilling, fracking, and the boon in natural gas means we'll be in oil for a long time yet. Oil fields in North Dakota, Canada, and in South America have been discovered in the last several years, and will provide oil for many years to come.

I wish they would hurry up and start tapping the oil in North Dakota so prices go down... Oh wait! They'll probably sell it all to China for 20$ a barrel, they buy it from OPEC or wherever for 90$ a barrel... I love that.
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

Horizontal drilling, fracking, and the boon in natural gas means we'll be in oil for a long time yet.

Sorry, Maverick4. people are protesting about fracking.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Fracking is still fairly new so far as extraction procedures go, so it's not entirely implausible that there are protests and the the technology itself is under question. So far as I know, as of yet there has been no concrete evidence that links fracking water pollution nor has there been anything that disavows fracking of the problem.

World oil for the most part is run by a monopoly through OPEC, this means that price fluctuations can and will happen for a myriad of reasons. Crisis in any one of the nations that are a part of OPEC, a political point of contention between a consumer and a OPEC nation, etc.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

hey buy it from OPEC or wherever for 90$ a barrel...

The single largest supplier of oil to the US is actually Canada and Latin America, not OPEC.

Source.

The same article states that the amount of oil that the US imports is down from 10 million barrels a day a decade ago, to 8.4 billiion barrels.
thebloxxer
thebloxxer
28 posts
Nomad

Hopefully we will come up with a solutation sooner or later. Solar or wind will probably will be a main source providing, plus some other renewables.

zombinator2000
zombinator2000
34 posts
Farmer

Oil and natural gas will probably be the norm for many years to come. Wind and solar are too environment-dependent(I'd rather not suffer from a blackout just because we had a wind drought or had an extended period of cloud cover. Ways to get around that would just increase the costs for such technologies as well.)

After Oil, maybe nuclear fusion and hydrogen will be the standard.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Oil and natural gas will probably be the norm for many years to come. Wind and solar are too environment-dependent(I'd rather not suffer from a blackout just because we had a wind drought or had an extended period of cloud cover. Ways to get around that would just increase the costs for such technologies as well.)

Not necessarily. Our Federal Institute of Technology is working on a way to provide much of the worlds consumers with renewable energy thanks to a global grid. The idea is to produce the energy in areas where the wind always blows strong, or the sun always shine, and transport it through a fast line that could even cover the peak consumption shifts between Europe and America, so that the energy doesn't have to be stored using extensive and costly methods.

Sounds like the way to go, if you ask me. Nuclear energies still have a huge unresolved problem, the waste.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

After Oil, maybe nuclear fusion and hydrogen will be the standard.

you can't make plastic from nuclear fusion, etc.
or use nuclear fusion as grease.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Sounds like the way to go, if you ask me. Nuclear energies still have a huge unresolved problem, the waste

helium-3 is they way we go whit that. we have the technology. just not the resource yet.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

helium-3 is they way we go whit that. we have the technology. just not the resource yet.

We have sufficient wind and sun ressources. With the right organisation it is feasible, technically and economically. We should focus on that first, and do it now.

About He3, are there any known sources? Are they technically accessible? Are they economically conceivable? Have there been studies about the mechanism and possible waste/risks?

If you answer no to any of the questions, gimme a better reason why we should explore He3 as energy source.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

If you answer no to any of the questions,

the answer is yes to all.
Getoffmydangle
Getoffmydangle
152 posts
Blacksmith

the answer is yes to all.

I'd love it if you could provide some more information about helium-3 Partydevil. At least some links
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

I'd love it if you could provide some more information about helium-3 Partydevil. At least some links

Helium-3 as an Energy Source, in a nutshell.
Showing 1-15 of 38