ForumsThe TavernPennies

15 4148
XVERB
XVERB
3,139 posts
Nomad

Today, it occurred to me that pennies, or the one cent coin for those who don't live in the United States, are totally worthless. I was in the mall and asked my mom for a few dollars to go to get some food. She handed me a $10 and a few pennies fell out of her purse. We both looked at them and said at once, "It's not worth it." That is right, kneeling down and picking them up was not worth 3 cents. The only reason to pick them up would be to get them out of the way, or so that someone else, probably a janitor, wouldn't have to.

So here is the question: Do you think pennies are worthless? Do you think the U.S. treasury should stop minting them? Any other things of lesser value still worth picking up off the floor?

• 15 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I believe the treasury should stop minting them. That copper could be used for something far more useful. I don't know what, but I'm sure there's something out there that needs more copper.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

Do you think pennies are worthless? Do you think the U.S. treasury should stop minting them? Any other things of lesser value still worth picking up off the floor?

Yes, yes, and yes.

All they do is take up space and no one is going to be taking out 3 extra pennies to pay for something when they could just pay with a 5$ bill... It's obsolete now basically, in my opinion and the video pang post, which I've seen before, proves why they should be gone...
XVERB
XVERB
3,139 posts
Nomad

I believe the treasury should stop minting them. That copper could be used for something far more useful. I don't know what, but I'm sure there's something out there that needs more copper.

There are a lot of things made out of copper! The pipes in my house are copper and most wiring and cables are copper. Trust me, I worked at an electric company that replaced old wire for the military and literally spent an entire summer stripping the rubber coats off so they could be melted down for cash. With copper worth nearly $3.5 a pound this is very profitable.

The better uses for copper are vast...
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

With copper worth nearly $3.5 a pound this is very profitable.

Exactly... You'd have more money if you just freakin scrapped the pennies xD And whenever I could get change thats like 2 or 3 cents I just say no, you keep it because I know all the pennies are gonna do is sit around and really do nothing. Also, I find myself throwing pennies at school all too often xD
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

I miss read this thread title at first O.o
Sure, get rid of them. They really arent that important anymore, they just make all this .99 crap a pain.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

NO! YOU CANNOT GET RID OF PENNIES!!

That would destroy my coin collecting! *starts sobbing*

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

they just make all this .99 crap a pain.

That actually isn't really the pennies..but the economic/market system we have. Go over to Europe and they already have the taxes for the price..and not the pre-tax price like we have it

There are a lot of things made out of copper!

Fun lil fact from the video I posted...pennies are only 5% copper. the other 95% is zinc
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

pennies are only 5% copper. the other 95% is zinc

Oh, thanks for reminding me. I forgot pennies cost too much to make so they switched to zinc because it was cheaper. Anyhow, there are a lot of uses for zinc too.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Go over to Europe and they already have the taxes for the price

Places In NYC are like that. There is a really good pizza place where you give the guy 2 buck, they give you a slice 5 seconds later. Simple and fast. Never seen it in a grocery store or anywhere out of a city.
dr_doughnut
dr_doughnut
72 posts
Nomad

I hate pennies. Pennies are needed if tax isn't in the price because adding tax to a $1 candy bar makes it $1.07 and I hate that. They should add tax to the price to make things easier and to get rid of the penny.

danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

So you propebly dont know what poverty is. Do you know these peoples who search in trash canes for used canes and bottles? These peoples who argue with the cashier over these 10 pennies? I know them. I vulenteer more than once in places who help them by food, shelter or even just a hearing ear.
And for them, these 3 pennoes maybe mean one more tomato, a better quality meat, or even the water and electricity bills. Yes, these 34 cents in a 23.34 bill can become a shut down of the lights.

So plwease, dont be a spoiles bratt. There are peoples who do think they are usefull.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

So plwease, dont be a spoiles bratt. There are peoples who do think they are usefull.

Please...watch the video.
danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

Wached. Yet, the - struggling to end the mounth - poor man dosent care what the cent is made off. This 5 cents say buss back home or walking. These 3 pennies you droped may say if he will eat meat or not.

To you theyvdosent matter. For them, every cent matter.

Maybe the coin do need to be made from a cheaper material, but remember -
Not everyone can pay at the shop with 50 Bills. And not everyone can buy fuel in 100 dollars for his car, but 1.78 for a buss ticket. Or a washing machin.
The pennie does buy things.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

danielo..your argument is appeal to poverty..to start

poor man dosent care what the cent is made off.

What it is made of doesn't have anything to do with who uses it..but the fact that the penny is causing the government to actually lose money

These 3 pennies you droped may say if he will eat meat or not.

I sincerely doubt this. Meals are nowhere this cheap

The pennie does buy things.

When used with other currency
Showing 1-15 of 15