Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Pennies

Posted Mar 25, '13 at 5:58pm

XVERB

XVERB

2,467 posts

Today, it occurred to me that pennies, or the one cent coin for those who don't live in the United States, are totally worthless.  I was in the mall and asked my mom for a few dollars to go to get some food.  She handed me a $10 and a few pennies fell out of her purse.  We both looked at them and said at once, "It's not worth it."  That is right, kneeling down and picking them up was not worth 3 cents.  The only reason to pick them up would be to get them out of the way, or so that someone else, probably a janitor, wouldn't have to.

So here is the question:  Do you think pennies are worthless?  Do you think the U.S. treasury should stop minting them?  Any other things of lesser value still worth picking up off the floor?

Posted Mar 25, '13 at 6:18pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

I believe the treasury should stop minting them. That copper could be used for something far more useful. I don't know what, but I'm sure there's something out there that needs more copper.

Posted Mar 25, '13 at 6:22pm

blk2860

blk2860

3,686 posts

Yeah. I'm pretty sure power lines are copper wire. Pennies are useless. A while back, you could by things for one cent. Not anymore.

Posted Mar 25, '13 at 6:26pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,268 posts

Posted Mar 25, '13 at 6:59pm

sourwhatup2

sourwhatup2

3,255 posts

Do you think pennies are worthless?  Do you think the U.S. treasury should stop minting them?  Any other things of lesser value still worth picking up off the floor?

Yes, yes, and yes.

All they do is take up space and no one is going to be taking out 3 extra pennies to pay for something when they could just pay with a 5$ bill... It's obsolete now basically, in my opinion and the video pang post, which I've seen before, proves why they should be gone...

Posted Mar 25, '13 at 9:34pm

XVERB

XVERB

2,467 posts

I believe the treasury should stop minting them. That copper could be used for something far more useful. I don't know what, but I'm sure there's something out there that needs more copper.

There are a lot of things made out of copper!  The pipes in my house are copper and most wiring and cables are copper.  Trust me, I worked at an electric company that replaced old wire for the military and literally spent an entire summer stripping the rubber coats off so they could be melted down for cash.  With copper worth nearly $3.5 a pound this is very profitable. 

The better uses for copper are vast...

Posted Mar 25, '13 at 9:38pm

xXxDAPRO89xXx

xXxDAPRO89xXx

3,549 posts

With copper worth nearly $3.5 a pound this is very profitable. 

Exactly... You'd have more money if you just freakin scrapped the pennies xD And whenever I could get change thats like 2 or 3 cents I just say no, you keep it because I know all the pennies are gonna do is sit around and really do nothing. Also, I find myself throwing pennies at school all too often xD

Posted Mar 25, '13 at 9:55pm

pickpocket

pickpocket

3,346 posts

I miss read this thread title at first O.o
Sure, get rid of them. They really arent that important anymore, they just make all this .99 crap a pain.

Posted Mar 26, '13 at 12:35am

xeano321

xeano321

2,554 posts

Knight

NO! YOU CANNOT GET RID OF PENNIES!!

That would destroy my coin collecting! *starts sobbing*

Posted Mar 26, '13 at 4:23pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,268 posts

they just make all this .99 crap a pain.

That actually isn't really the pennies..but the economic/market system we have. Go over to Europe and they already have the taxes for the price..and not the pre-tax price like we have it

There are a lot of things made out of copper!

Fun lil fact from the video I posted...pennies are only 5% copper. the other 95% is zinc

Reply to Pennies

You must be logged in to post a reply!