ForumsThe TavernPennies

16 1897
XVERB
offline
XVERB
3,205 posts
20

Today, it occurred to me that pennies, or the one cent coin for those who don't live in the United States, are totally worthless. I was in the mall and asked my mom for a few dollars to go to get some food. She handed me a $10 and a few pennies fell out of her purse. We both looked at them and said at once, "It's not worth it." That is right, kneeling down and picking them up was not worth 3 cents. The only reason to pick them up would be to get them out of the way, or so that someone else, probably a janitor, wouldn't have to.

So here is the question: Do you think pennies are worthless? Do you think the U.S. treasury should stop minting them? Any other things of lesser value still worth picking up off the floor?

  • 16 Replies
Salvidian
offline
Salvidian
4,297 posts
1,945

I believe the treasury should stop minting them. That copper could be used for something far more useful. I don't know what, but I'm sure there's something out there that needs more copper.

blk2860
offline
blk2860
10,795 posts
1,850

Yeah. I'm pretty sure power lines are copper wire. Pennies are useless. A while back, you could by things for one cent. Not anymore.

pangtongshu
offline
pangtongshu
10,171 posts
2,975
sourwhatup2
offline
sourwhatup2
3,793 posts
3,255

Do you think pennies are worthless? Do you think the U.S. treasury should stop minting them? Any other things of lesser value still worth picking up off the floor?


Yes, yes, and yes.

All they do is take up space and no one is going to be taking out 3 extra pennies to pay for something when they could just pay with a 5$ bill... It's obsolete now basically, in my opinion and the video pang post, which I've seen before, proves why they should be gone...
XVERB
offline
XVERB
3,205 posts
20

I believe the treasury should stop minting them. That copper could be used for something far more useful. I don't know what, but I'm sure there's something out there that needs more copper.


There are a lot of things made out of copper! The pipes in my house are copper and most wiring and cables are copper. Trust me, I worked at an electric company that replaced old wire for the military and literally spent an entire summer stripping the rubber coats off so they could be melted down for cash. With copper worth nearly $3.5 a pound this is very profitable.

The better uses for copper are vast...
xXxDAPRO89xXx
offline
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,871 posts
16,160

With copper worth nearly $3.5 a pound this is very profitable.


Exactly... You'd have more money if you just freakin scrapped the pennies xD And whenever I could get change thats like 2 or 3 cents I just say no, you keep it because I know all the pennies are gonna do is sit around and really do nothing. Also, I find myself throwing pennies at school all too often xD
pickpocket
offline
pickpocket
6,028 posts
1,350

I miss read this thread title at first O.o
Sure, get rid of them. They really arent that important anymore, they just make all this .99 crap a pain.

xeano321
offline
xeano321
3,134 posts
1,735

NO! YOU CANNOT GET RID OF PENNIES!!

That would destroy my coin collecting! *starts sobbing*

pangtongshu
offline
pangtongshu
10,171 posts
2,975

they just make all this .99 crap a pain.


That actually isn't really the pennies..but the economic/market system we have. Go over to Europe and they already have the taxes for the price..and not the pre-tax price like we have it

There are a lot of things made out of copper!


Fun lil fact from the video I posted...pennies are only 5% copper. the other 95% is zinc
Salvidian
offline
Salvidian
4,297 posts
1,945

pennies are only 5% copper. the other 95% is zinc


Oh, thanks for reminding me. I forgot pennies cost too much to make so they switched to zinc because it was cheaper. Anyhow, there are a lot of uses for zinc too.
pickpocket
offline
pickpocket
6,028 posts
1,350

Go over to Europe and they already have the taxes for the price

Places In NYC are like that. There is a really good pizza place where you give the guy 2 buck, they give you a slice 5 seconds later. Simple and fast. Never seen it in a grocery store or anywhere out of a city.
dr_doughnut
offline
dr_doughnut
74 posts
340

I hate pennies. Pennies are needed if tax isn't in the price because adding tax to a $1 candy bar makes it $1.07 and I hate that. They should add tax to the price to make things easier and to get rid of the penny.

danielo
offline
danielo
1,782 posts
600

So you propebly dont know what poverty is. Do you know these peoples who search in trash canes for used canes and bottles? These peoples who argue with the cashier over these 10 pennies? I know them. I vulenteer more than once in places who help them by food, shelter or even just a hearing ear.
And for them, these 3 pennoes maybe mean one more tomato, a better quality meat, or even the water and electricity bills. Yes, these 34 cents in a 23.34 bill can become a shut down of the lights.

So plwease, dont be a spoiles bratt. There are peoples who do think they are usefull.

pangtongshu
offline
pangtongshu
10,171 posts
2,975

So plwease, dont be a spoiles bratt. There are peoples who do think they are usefull.


Please...watch the video.
danielo
offline
danielo
1,782 posts
600

Wached. Yet, the - struggling to end the mounth - poor man dosent care what the cent is made off. This 5 cents say buss back home or walking. These 3 pennies you droped may say if he will eat meat or not.

To you theyvdosent matter. For them, every cent matter.

Maybe the coin do need to be made from a cheaper material, but remember -
Not everyone can pay at the shop with 50 Bills. And not everyone can buy fuel in 100 dollars for his car, but 1.78 for a buss ticket. Or a washing machin.
The pennie does buy things.

Showing 1-15 of 16