Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Should cussing be allowed on Armor Games? Nope.

Thread Locked

Posted Mar 28, '13 at 3:09pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,704 posts

No...the people I have heard say it "Go to ____" is meant in like a way when they are mad.....

Whether they are mad or not..they are still using it in the sense of the Christian location of Hell

Posted Mar 28, '13 at 4:43pm

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,260 posts

Knight

*cracks knuckles* I got a bone to pick with censorship in, well, anything.

First off, we all know curse words. The Terms & Conditions of Armor Games state you have to be over the age 13, and past that age you probably know every curse word out there. Not saying that you should babble them all out in one sentence like an idiot but most curse words aren't as "bad" as people make them out to be. For instance, the A word. Its original definition was to refer to an animal, a donkey obviously. It isn't a bad word, and used to be the traditional name for the animal, and it wasn't a bad word. And the H word, its original intent was to be a place in which people would go to as a consequence from defying gods law in the Christian religion, it isn't a bad word as well. It is a place, and through a 50 - 50% chance possibly a mythical place (I'm not saying it is, just using the logic that not all people believe in it).

Those words aren't bad words to be honest, they are just words. However the big words like the S word and the F word are different cases because they are used as violent expression or possibly even an insult. So if you call someone a "S***-head" or a "Dumb-*******" then they can be censored under the Commenting Rules & Regulation rule "No Flaming". But calling someone a a** is no different from calling someone a noob or such, its just a word and in out case, a silly one.

What I don't understand is why media insists on censoring this type of content from shows and movies when this type of language is used EVERYDAY. Whenever I go out to a mall or something similar people can use the most viol language and yet you don't see police officers telling someone they can't use the F word or the N word, yet they still do and you don't see a man getting arrested for that. Which is why cursing isn't bad. And the excuse media has for censoring curse words is a dumb one, even if a child heard Jim Carry say s*** it is the responsibility of the parent to tell their child what is politically correct or not. The media has no say in such things, nor should they.

So to get back to answering this question, not all curse words should be censored. If the word is not pointed towards someone it should not be censored in my opinion.

Posted Mar 30, '13 at 11:12am

rojer12

rojer12

13 posts

and im only 11

Posted Mar 30, '13 at 11:16am

rojer12

rojer12

13 posts

i didnt know we have to be 13

Posted Mar 30, '13 at 11:49am

sarnagon

sarnagon

5 posts

Why should you cussing on a game website, why should it be allowed. It is beter to do not cusssing, you can better be more polite than rude :)

Posted Mar 30, '13 at 12:11pm

TerminatorXM214

TerminatorXM214

226 posts

Well, I like the idea of censor's, because it is not pleasant to look at words like that. About the word 'hell', because I'm a Christian, I have some strong feelings about it and the word 'God'. They are not inappropriate, nor 'bad' words. But according to the Bible, they shouldn't be used in vain. So just walking around, something happens, and using one, that's in vain, as in, there isn't a reason to say the Lords name when your favorite musician came out with a new album.
When you tell someone to "Go to ----", you are cursing. Literally. I'm new, so I'm not completely sure how you all feel about a religious debate, so I'm going to stop talking about its incorrectness according to the Bible.

About being 13+, well, I've never lied about my age, but I know some people have, and there isn't anything we can do  about it. But, as aforementioned, many children over 8 know most of the offensive words there are. I mean, I walk down the street and here a 7-year-old shoot out an exceptionally crude one while texting his 8-year-old buddy on a smart phone.

Also previously mentioned was the fact that many people can easily bypass filters with nothing more than a period in the middle of the word. We can't stop people from doing that either.

So, I think they should be censored. It may not help too much, but it can get most of them. The rest, well, we just have to put up with. I mean, following the terms of agreement, we're 13+. The people under that age aren't following the rules, so again, we can't do anything.
But, for the sake of any religious debate, neither the Lord's name, nor the word for perdition should be filtered.

Posted Mar 30, '13 at 12:43pm

09philj

09philj

1,237 posts

In an ideal world, we would have software to replace any attempts at swearing with the word *BLEEP*. However, there will always be a way to circumvent it by breaking up the word with punctuation.

Posted Apr 1, '13 at 4:53pm

elves

elves

5 posts

i didnt read the posts but if u dont want young ones to see cuss words cant we all just use abbreviating the words like wtf or any other # of abbreviations for cuss words

Posted Apr 1, '13 at 5:39pm

IAgreeWithYou

IAgreeWithYou

419 posts

No...the people I have heard say it "Go to ____" is meant in like a way when they are mad.....

You can be more offensive without swearing than you can using "Hell". I won't say any examples but you can easily use a mix of normal words to insult someone more than that.

Anyone want to tell me what bad word that is?!?

Well... don't tell anyone I told you this but... *shifty eyes*

D@NIELMCNEELYD@NIELMCNEELYD@NIELMCNEELY

*runs*

Posted Apr 3, '13 at 4:52pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

I'm not going to completely stress my point with a whole lot of evidence and logic, unless, of course, it's necessary and someone asks for it.

I am (for the most part) for maintaining the system which we have currently. In fact, I'm aware of several vulgar words that aren't censored. Among them, no, I don't think "hell," "penis" or "vagina" should be censored; however, 2 of the words I believe should be censored are b***** and c***** (censored for the sake of not having this post deleted). The two words I previously mentioned have no sense in being used except for being used as an insult. Now, come on people, let's grow up: we don't need to insult each other in such a barbaric fashion. As a result, we don't need these words.

As for the claims that some words should be allowed because they have reasoning to be used outside of an insulting environment are ridiculous. Okay, so the "A word" means donkey. Now, how many times a year are you ACTUALLY going to use this word for it's non-insulting meaning? Why can't you just say "donkey" and be on with it? Is it absolutely necessary to unblock it? If it were, for some asinine reason, unblocked, then how many people would use it for its insulting meaning? Most, if not all.

Okay, okay, okay. So little kids know what all the swears are and what they mean. Does that make it acceptable to use them? In my opinion (and I've seen it happen), swearing does naught lead to problems. You can make your point without swearing and, frankly, swearing does nothing but make your point sound overly vulgar and, as a result, essentially discredits you. So sometimes one swear word might make you sound a bit more convicted of your point - I understand that, and I use swears to sound convicted myself. But they aren't solely necessary, and the bad outweighs the good.

The final problem I see with censorship is that it restrains you in the AMW. Honestly, it isn't all that bad to simply give up swearing in your writing. Like I said earlier, I'm sure you'd rather adapt your writing skill to avoid swearing than to get into a debate in the WEPR and have your opponent insult you with every word in the book. No one likes nonsense like that, and I'm hard pressed to say that people wouldn't mind using asterisks. So, if you're going to come back and say "people can still swear you out," well, asterisks look pretty stupid.

Again, I tried condensing my argument as much as possible. I'd be happy to elaborate if needed.