ForumsArt, Music, and Writing[REQ]The Lyceum: Official Contest - Page One

33 15536
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Welcome to The Lyceum, the first literary guild on Armor Games! The purpose of The Lyceum is to celebrate and support the arts on Armor Games. In the spirit of this mission, The Lyceum and its members will be supporting a poetry contest, with the winner's piece being displayed on the group's official page.

The Contest Rules

-The entered piece must fit the current theme.
-The entered piece must be submitted by the round's deadline.
-The entered piece must be created for the explicit round.
-The Lyceum respects all intellectual property; plagiarism will not be tolerated.
-One submission will be accepted per user.
-A user may not win two rounds in a row. Submissions will still be accepted from said user, however.

Judging

In order to ensure the rapid return of results, each round will have two judges: A primary judge, and an alternate. It is the job of the primary judge to post the results within three days of the closure of the round. Should the primary judge be unable to fulfill his duties of judge, the alternate judge shall be tasked with posting the judging until the primary judge can resume his duties.

Should the alternate judge be unable to post the results in a timely fashion, he shall have to find a suitable replacement to post the results, ad infinitum.

Submitting An Entry

All users are welcome to submit an entry for each round, provided it complies with the contest rules. If a user submits multiple pieces, then once piece must be specified for judging.

To join The Lyceum, or to view the current round's winner, please check out The_Lyceum. Good luck, and enjoy!

• 33 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

You go ahead. I got stuff again.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

It's late enough as it is, Sal's busy with a serious personal matter, so here's a quick judging:

------------------------------------------

HahiHa (can't win)

Strong, direct, and precise word choice. Impeccable imagery. I'm a sucker for repetitive s's, so "standing amidst a sea of swaying reeds" was a serious strength. Would've won if you didn't last round.

Minor error(s): suns to sun's

Hectichermit

I like the cyclical-based theme. When the fun's over, everything patiently prepares for it to start again. But the rhymes seemed a bit forced at times. The structure is odd, as sometimes the next line will be continuing from the prior, and sometimes not. Some visual distinction, be it by punctuation or space, would be nice.

Minor error(s): blossoms to blossom's; summers to summer's

rychus

'Tis an adventurous riddle. Simple, light, clean, flitting. But the middle line seems disjointed, out of place, fragmenting the flow.

Quirinus1 (can't win)

As expected, lots of alliteration, consistant style. A good concept of spring being a fresh start, a peaceful time for the mentally turbulent, gently guiding them to absolution.

StormWalker

I like the balance of starting with outside and ending with inside. I can appreciate the irony of how golden things are usually appealing, desired, yet in this case you hide away from it.

And the winner is...
//
\\
//
\\
//
\\
//
\\
//
\\
//
\\
//
\\
//
\\
//
\\
//
\\
//
\\
V
StormWalker

pang will take over.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Alright everyone...after discussing it over with my fellow founders, this thread is to be locked. Don't fret, however, for The Lyceum shall live on!

I will explain this all in full details in the new thread after this one becomes locked..until then, I leave you with suspense!

[note: If you would like to join, message one of us founders and let us know. Now is the last chance for an "easy entrance", as the requirements to become a member will change significantly when the new thread comes out]

Showing 31-33 of 33