ForumsForum GamesLet's Help Make The World A Better Place

21 6128
TDOG422
TDOG422
528 posts
Shepherd

I want to start this and I want to start it now so here it goes!

What You Do: I will give you a senario and you have to make the world better! To make it better you have to have to make a decision that could be done with the current state of the area. Nobody (except me maybe...) will know what the decision will do until it happens. It may even cause a chain reaction or do something that you may not think would happen because of past decisions.

Rules: You CAN (not a typo, I mean can) make any decision that the civilization would be able to do in their current state. And no being mean about someone else's choice, it may lead up to the flourishing (flourishment, whatever word you would use in this context) of the society. And (get the cheese shields) have fun!

I will be posting the first scenario shortly (it's late...kinda, and I don't feel creative ATM). So before that happens, feel free to leave your criticism on this forum game! #WaitThisIsntInstagram (I'm so sorry I couldn't resist)

• 21 Replies
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Hmmm... Without a scenario I don't know what to make of this.

TDOG422
TDOG422
528 posts
Shepherd

Sorry 'bout that. Kinda drained of my creative juices right now. Plus don't think many people would see this before I have the scenario up.

TDOG422
TDOG422
528 posts
Shepherd

Ok! The first scenario is going to be:

A torn down community with a small city not too far away. A few bad decisions could lead to all your shelters falling down or successfully creating a predator detector around the whole area.

[url=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/85/Hutong_Barren_Wasteland.jpg]

BTW there is stuff that is way too hard to explain so you'll just have to wait and see the magic...

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/85/Hutong_Barren_Wasteland.jpg

That's the picture.

TDOG422
TDOG422
528 posts
Shepherd

Thank you. Kinda messed up when doing the link.

TDOG422
TDOG422
528 posts
Shepherd

*clears thought* Hello? Anyone? Please? Good god this is going great.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I'm getting a 503 error on the image, which is probably why I can't get it to show up anywhere.

However, that probably isn't the reason your thread isn't taking off.

1) There are no restrictions as to what decisions you can make regardless of the situation. I could easily just say I'm a billionaire philanthropist and rebuild the entire town and turn it into a desirable suburb with good public schools, great utilities and excellent safety ratings. Or I could say I'm the CEO of McDonald's and demolish everything and turn it into farmland. Or I could say I'm a wizard and with a single flick of a wand, turn this barren community into a thriving magical metropolis where dreams really do come true. None of these solutions are exactly creative, but consequences are hardly on the radar.

2) There's no hook. People don't feel compelled to save this dying community. "A few bad decisions could lead to all your shelters falling down or successfully creating a predator detector around the whole area," but deciding not to do anything at all doesn't seem to have any consequences. And maybe the shelters fall down. So what? You can just build them back up again, because there's no limit to what kind of supplies you have or how many people you have with you to do good old fashioned manual labor.

Details are important in threads like these, because without details, you get loopholes.

TDOG422
TDOG422
528 posts
Shepherd

There are no restrictions as to what decisions you can make regardless of the situation. I could easily just say I'm a billionaire philanthropist and rebuild the entire town and turn it into a desirable suburb with good public schools, great utilities and excellent safety ratings. Or I could say I'm the CEO of McDonald's and demolish everything and turn it into farmland. Or I could say I'm a wizard and with a single flick of a wand, turn this barren community into a thriving magical metropolis where dreams really do come true. None of these solutions are exactly creative, but consequences are hardly on the radar.

Well then you obviously didn't read this:

To make it better you have to have to make a decision that could be done with the current state of the area.

There's no hook. People don't feel compelled to save this dying community.

You move on to the next community.

"A few bad decisions could lead to all your shelters falling down or successfully creating a predator detector around the whole area," but deciding not to do anything at all doesn't seem to have any consequences.

You could be attacked by a herd of animals or die of starvation.

And maybe the shelters fall down. So what? You can just build them back up again, because there's no limit to what kind of supplies you have or how many people you have with you to do good old fashioned manual labor.

They may not have the resources to do that. And in the time it takes to do that, they would be even more vulnerable to really anything.

So in all you didn't read the whole post (or even half for that matter) and you start making assumptions based on what you don't know, even though it is told to you. So have a good day sir, and try not to get people mad at you for a post that could have completely wrong facts that, again, are told to you.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

First of all, I would like to point out that I did read the entire post--all of your posts--many times, and claiming that I did not is completely ignorant and shows that you are not open to criticism of any kind, even if it means bringing your completely dead, unorganized thread to life.

Well then you obviously didn't read this:

[quote]To make it better you have to have to make a decision that could be done with the current state of the area.
[/quote]

Obviously I did, for that passage that you quoted about restrictions was basically a direct response to that statement. The problem with that statement is that it's incredibly vague, and it doesn't specify what decisions you can and can't make. There is no limit to what resources the player has to execute such a decision, which means they can decide to do virtually anything they want to improve the community. Who's to say they can't gather plutonium and build a time machine to go back in time to prevent the community from falling apart in the first place?

It's up to you to place these restrictions, or else people will place their own limits and things will get chaotic.

You move on to the next community.

That isn't a hook. You still never specified why the first community needs saving. Who still inhabits this community? Why does their community need to be fixed? Why is it up to me (the player) to rebuild this community and not just leave it the way it is?

These are questions that would be crucial to keeping people interested.

You could be attacked by a herd of animals or die of starvation.

You could have specified that in your original post. There are no facts that state economic status or what the area is like, other than it's "a torn down community with a small city not too far away". Do you expect us to gather that the character in question is dirt poor and that there are wild herds of animals prowling the area just because that's the way you pictured it in your head?

If you don't provide the details, the players will make them up from what they interpret, and if they choose to interpret themselves as billionaires with abundant resources, there's nothing that specifies that they can't play that way.

They may not have the resources to do that. And in the time it takes to do that, they would be even more vulnerable to really anything.

Again, you should have specified that in your original scenario instead of just leaving it as open as you did. I'll emphasize one last time that you never specified what kind of resources are and are not available to the player.

So in all you didn't read the whole post (or even half for that matter) and you start making assumptions based on what you don't know, even though it is told to you.

You're accusing me of doing exactly what you did rather than what I did, which was analyze every post you made and try to find a way to improve your game. From your responses, however, it seems that you're not open to ways to improve your thread and therefore I have no choice but to conclude that you are not cut out to run a forum game of any type.

and try not to get people mad at you for a post that could have completely wrong facts that, again, are told to you.

None of the facts you specified in your most recent post were told to anyone in the original scenario or in any other post you made up until your most recent post. You can't criticize me for not reading facts that don't exist yet.

I'm trying to help you get your thread started with constructive criticism--might I remind you that you did say we were "free" to leave our criticism in the OP--and all you do is get mad at me for pointing out why your thread isn't going anywhere. If this is your attitude towards people trying to help you, you don't deserve help from anyone.
TDOG422
TDOG422
528 posts
Shepherd

First of all, I would like to point out that I did read the entire post--all of your posts--many times, and claiming that I did not is completely ignorant and shows that you are not open to criticism of any kind, even if it means bringing your completely dead, unorganized thread to life.

I gathered from what you were saying that you didn't read it. Sorry if you did, but I just didn't seem like it.

Obviously I did, for that passage that you quoted about restrictions was basically a direct response to that statement.

No that was from the first post.

The problem with that statement is that it's incredibly vague, and it doesn't specify what decisions you can and can't make.

Let me take something from the first post:

You CAN (not a typo, I mean can) make any decision that the civilization would be able to do in their current state.

There is no limit to what resources the player has to execute such a decision, which means they can decide to do virtually anything they want to improve the community. Who's to say they can't gather plutonium and build a time machine to go back in time to prevent the community from falling apart in the first place?

Well let's see...

in their current state

Again the first post

That isn't a hook. You still never specified why the first community needs saving. Who still inhabits this community? Why does their community need to be fixed? Why is it up to me (the player) to rebuild this community and not just leave it the way it is?

I admit that I didn't say much on that subject but I had JUST made the thread. I would have add more things as time went on.

You could have specified that in your original post. There are no facts that state economic status or what the area is like, other than it's "a torn down community with a small city not too far away". Do you expect us to gather that the character in question is dirt poor and that there are wild herds of animals prowling the area just because that's the way you pictured it in your head?

1. Again, I admit that I didn't touch on the subject of dangers, but again I would update the game as time passed.

2. Once more I have not yet said anything on the topic. But I plan to have it be a picture for any area that isn't the starting area. And it's kind of common-sense to think that there would be wild animals prowling around.

If you don't provide the details, the players will make them up from what they interpret, and if they choose to interpret themselves as billionaires with abundant resources, there's nothing that specifies that they can't play that way.

Again I think common sense for a game like this would be basically: No resources, bad shelter, no defenses, and nothing to attack with.

You're accusing me of doing exactly what you did rather than what I did, which was analyze every post you made and try to find a way to improve your game.

I was simply making an assumption off of what you had said.

From your responses, however, it seems that you're not open to ways to improve your thread and therefore I have no choice but to conclude that you are not cut out to run a forum game of any type.

I saw that you were trying to improve the game, but mixed in with everything else you were saying, it kind of got lost in the mess. I can see what you see, but from my perspective, I wasn't being defensive because someone criticized my game, I was pointing out some things that would be assumed because of common sense (even though I never actually said "common sense&quot, and pointing out that it seemed that you didn't read the whole post.

None of the facts you specified in your most recent post were told to anyone in the original scenario or in any other post you made up until your most recent post. You can't criticize me for not reading facts that don't exist yet.

Here:

You CAN (not a typo, I mean can) make any decision that the civilization would be able to do in their current state.

From the first post. You keep thinking that there is no limit to what you can do, but I keep saying this (the quote above).

I'm trying to help you get your thread started with constructive criticism--might I remind you that you did say we were "free" to leave our criticism in the OP--and all you do is get mad at me for pointing out why your thread isn't going anywhere. If this is your attitude towards people trying to help you, you don't deserve help from anyone.

1. Ok I agree that you were TRYING to leave constructive criticism.

2. I am, but your wording was probably not what you were thinking it was (your atitude).

3. You are just being mean now, stating that this game isn't going anywhere (it just came out), and that I don't deserve help. Again your wording just makes you seem like a mean little kid who just got cussed out by a 14 year old (mind the WORDING)
TDOG422
TDOG422
528 posts
Shepherd

Well thank you for not being as harsh. There is no character sheet. There is no stats. You don't need these to have a forum game. As said you try and help the community thrive. It's kind of like your the mayor from Sim City. You control the activities of the people and try to survive. Having a kind of wall that stops the player from doing most things makes the game not as free as I would intend. I felt that a thin line between can and can't is good for a game like this. And your relationship with rules does not affect what other people do with them. Plus, when did I say you couldn't leave input. I'm also having a hard time seeing if this is a bash on my game, siding with Ernie, or just leaving regular input. I honestly don't see why people would still think you can do anything even though I have clearly stated in the past that you are using what you have and do what CAN be done. Once more, I thank you for not being as rude as Ernie, but please try to understand that this game is based off freedom (to an extent).

TDOG422
TDOG422
528 posts
Shepherd

BTW I'm wondering if anyone is actually going to try the game out to at least see if it is worth your while. pLeAsE?!

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

I'm sorry Tdog, but I have to agree with Ernie on everything here. I looked at your thread in the beginning and I really did try to participate, but it was so vague that I was unable to come up with anything. So I just fixed the image instead.

It's clear to me that Ernie was not trying to be harsh or rude at all, but rather quite the opposite. He clearly wanted to help you because he saw that your game wasn't going anywhere. Until you jumped on him for no apparent reason, there was no harshness in this thread at all.

Harshness =/= constructive criticism.

I'm wondering if anyone is actually going to try the game out to at least see if it is worth your while.

You may want to restart it, taking some of his suggestions into consideration. Just because they may appear to be presented in a harsh or rude way doesn't mean that they aren't good ideas.
TDOG422
TDOG422
528 posts
Shepherd

I will be posting a "new beginning" for this game with a plot and everything soon. And I have added everything that has been said that I should add. Just to let you know!

TDOG422
TDOG422
528 posts
Shepherd

Sorry it's kinda big. But I'm going to work on it more today.

Showing 1-15 of 21