ForumsNews and Feedbackbring back the old armour points

34 13155
proshots
proshots
24 posts
Nomad

remember the old armour points? they used to give us a leaderboarrd and everything and gave some competition the the site, now there is nothing, please sign this pettition by saying 'i agree' so that we can get it back! much appriciated
thanks

• 34 Replies
dawgs9
dawgs9
1 posts
Nomad

They should bring back the Armor Points. They should bring back how you had to earn a certain amount of APs to get a certain rank and a certain amount of APs to get the different Armatars. The Quests thing is kinda cool, but I liked the old site better. Maybe they should make it so that the people who liked the old Armor Games can use the old site and people who like the new site can use the new Armor Games. They could put a button up top (where you chose the kind of games you play) that could switch from the new site to the old site and vice versa.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

They should bring back the Armor Points.

All it did was encourage spam rating and commenting on games. There's no reason to have it around.
FateIsEscaped
FateIsEscaped
19 posts
Peasant

[quote]...OR
You could just have it similar to Kong. Where "easy" ranked quests receive relatively low points...medium receive a few more, etc. The higher the difficulty, the more points awarded

Exactly. The Quests are already labeled "Easy" "Medium" and "Hard." Just assign points per Quest difficulty. Also, I'm not sure if they need to be in the "hundreds" range.[/quote]

Hundreds is just so decimals don't get in the way. 10 does not provide enough granularity IMO.

...OR
You could just have it similar to Kong. Where "easy" ranked quests receive relatively low points...medium receive a few more, etc. The higher the difficulty, the more points awarded

The scoring system does do that, but it adjusts for badges that are easy, and encourages people to go after rarer badges. It invents a system of scoring that is better than Kong's plain static one.

And I wanted to think of a system that graded each quest not by an arbitrary amount as you're saying (not plain old 5, 10, or 15), but by a very simple but flexible system that grade's each quest by how many people are able to get the quest.

So this relative scoring system does give easier quests a lower score, and harder quests a higher score.

If it's just going to be like Kong's system, I'd say don't even bother. I'd rather keep it as each quest is simple 1 point, than arbitrarily scores. But if they do want to give each quest a score, go with a system that organically and balanced gives a score.

[quote](some might only think the first number is important (20!), some the combination (100!), some based on some equation (60!))

Yeah, but then there's no way to tell who's really doing better if the scores are relative. I think you've got too much math going on. As the game revolves around playing games and talking on forums, the &quotoints" are just a bonus. You don't want it to be complicated or on different levels of importance. It's easiest, and more efficient and fair, to keep everyone on a flat playing field with a single total.[/quote]

It's not really all that mathy. It's pretty simple. It's two numbers. The fair and open to anyone, main score. And the bonus points for being dedicated to Armor Games. Something that I think should be rewarded.

The suggestion would look like this.

20 (+80)

The scores are there to encourage players to play a lot of games and do more than other players. It caters to two types of players.

[quote]As more people earn each quest make the point worth lower and lower

See, that would just tick me off. I'm going on a cruise for a week. I don't want a batch of Quests to come out and then come back and find out I lost the chance to earn a full score. [/quote]

There are two scores, the first score you cannot miss out on. The second score, is bonus. It's like an MMO. Some players will be there to get the tasks. Some will miss days.

It's not about getting there faster and finishing it, it's about finishing it.

Again, there are two sets of scores. The first set anyone can get whenever. There are many reasons to have that score. But because of that, the second score is so loyal armor gamers feel rewarded for getting in early. I think dedicated gamers should be rewarded.

You would also end up with a LOT of angry gamers who worked hard to earn quests and get ranked low even though they did the same thing. And it wouldn't be fun anymore! You would be playing the game just to earn points as fast as possible instead of playing the game because the game is fun.

It's the same with Legacy Quests. Think of my suggestion as separating open, available always quests, from legacy quests. I'm making it more fun to compete with other players who want to either do the always available quests, VS those players who want to compete with dedicated Armor gamers.

How many legacy quests are there? Let's say it's like 50. So, 213 are available, and 50 are legacy. Taking that, the scoring system I suggest would kinda be like this... (assuming someone had every quest)

213 (+50)

This would reward dedicated players who could get those quests. But if you don't care about that, that's cool. Then you just look at the main score. The 213. The best gamers of the most loyal Armor Gamers would tend to get more Legacy because they got them first. This makes it clearer whats legacy, and what isn't... and that's fairer and more efficient and more fun, for all
FateIsEscaped
FateIsEscaped
19 posts
Peasant

A simplified example.

Let's say every quest is worth 1 point. But if you get the quest within the first 30 days, its 2 points. That is, +1 basic point, and +1 bonus point. Part of my suggestion is to reward loyal and dedicated players.

My overall idea is more dynamic than this example. But this is the main point of it.

sparkythegreat
sparkythegreat
1 posts
Nomad

I agree, i do miss them but id rather have another point system like quest points.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

How many legacy quests are there?

There were 21 possible.

Let's say it's like 50. So, 213 are available, and 50 are legacy. Taking that, the scoring system I suggest would kinda be like this... (assuming someone had every quest)

213 (+50)

I actually like this idea a lot. We all know that, frankly, Legacy Quests were only there to show what a person did before the Quest system was released. Legacy Quests were not hard to get. They did not reward hard work. They did not grant bragging rights. Any half-witted moron could have gotten all of them just by being covert and sneaky about their AP farming.

@FateIsEscaped
Other than the separation of Legacy Quests from Game Quests idea, I believe it isn't a good idea to reward the early birds a few extra points when Quests should be equally viable and weighty for everyone. It won't do anything but push potential future gamers from the site, which will end up in flames.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

We all know that, frankly, Legacy Quests were only there to show what a person did before the Quest system was released. Legacy Quests were not hard to get. They did not reward hard work. They did not grant bragging rights. Any half-witted moron could have gotten all of them just by being covert and sneaky about their AP farming.

- Quests still show what you do
- Most quests aren't hard to get
- Why would you brag about spending hours playing flash games? There's no difference from that and people bragging about having high AP.
- You don't need to be smart to get most quests now either

Armor points and quests aren't all that different from each other. The main difference is that one of them is easier to take care of abuse.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

- Quests still show what you do

I was referring to comments, posts, ratings, activity stuff.

- Most quests aren't hard to get

But Quests are harder to get than it is to leave a comment.

- Why would you brag about spending hours playing flash games? There's no difference from that and people bragging about having high AP.
- You don't need to be smart to get most quests now either

Some Quests do require a bit more work than others. And about the bragging rights thing, I meant that the rightfulness is there and justified. You might not want to brag, but you can and it's justified.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

But Quests are harder to get than it is to leave a comment.

Getting the high ranks took far longer than it takes to get all the quests, currently. You had to be careful with how you gathered AP because if you rated an x amount of games or posted x amount of times in a certain time period, that could be marked as spam and it'd get deleted and the user banned.

Both are about equal difficulty.
Why do you think XBOX has stuck with 'Achievements' for so long? People like being rewarded for doing hard stuff. Getting AP for posting took 30 seconds between posts and you didn't have to even play the game. Getting Quests requires you to actually play the game, and play it well. Quests are significantly more valuable.

I wasn't arguing the value of it, I was pointing out that it's silly to brag about.

Either way, yes, people like rewards. Both accomplished that, but quests are better because it doesn't encourage spam. The reward value for it now is pretty much non-existent though. There are no leaderboards so you can't compete.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Getting the high ranks took far longer than it takes to get all the quests, currently.

The key word is currently. I actually believe that Quests were prematurely released because we didn't have to many to start off with, and, yes, it was easy to get them all. It still is, despite the fact that there are 70 or 80 more Quests that have been released. In a few months, if the Quests continue to be released at a pace that they are being released now, people will eventually succumb to the massive amount of them and it'll be difficult to get most, if not all.

You had to be careful with how you gathered AP because if you rated an x amount of games or posted x amount of times in a certain time period, that could be marked as spam and it'd get deleted and the user banned.

Agreed.

I wasn't arguing the value of it, I was pointing out that it's silly to brag about.

Agreed, but bragging about AP wasn't justified. Bragging about Quests is. That being said, Quests have more subsistence in terms of bragging validity.
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Umm, no. Thanks to the destruction of AP spamming is useless now and a lot of stupid things can come to an end. I myself am happy its gone. Quests seem interesting.

yuri26anime
yuri26anime
14 posts
Nomad

i agree the quest seems interesting =D

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Thanks to the destruction of AP spamming is useless now and a lot of stupid things can come to an end.

It has always been useless. It will always be present.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Umm, no. Thanks to the destruction of AP spamming is useless now and a lot of stupid things can come to an end. I myself am happy its gone. Quests seem interesting.

Perhaps it's up to the mods to have the final say, but I didn't notice a significant drop in spam overall. Spam chats yes, but spam chats have always been in the minority, and let's face it, not much of a problem. It doesn't deter advertisers, chain letter posters, or trolls that spam all over the place with their lovely messages, which are the main problems. It gets rid of some minor farmers, the special breed that pop up once in a while to leave a trail of crumbs over all 2000+ games AG has.

Also, OP gets a cookie for typing it as "Armour".
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

AP will not be returning.

RIP AP spamming.

Showing 16-30 of 34