ForumsProgramming ForumComputer help

10 3961
Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

ok this may be the wrong forum but whatever, it has to do with computers. Ok so my computer shuts off whenever I'm playing games on my computer, any kind of game: cd games, online, MMORPG watever, its a game, my computer will shut off while playing it, except for this game called dead frontier, on a beta server. Ok so it will just randomly shut off while Im playing a game, as if i was holding down the power button and manually shutting it off: it gives no warning. If you need my specs here they are: Acer Aspire, Intel pentium-D processor 1gb DDR2 memory, 200gb SATA harddisk DVD dual drive, 2,66 GHz, 768MB of RAM, sorry if the specs are wierd I really dont know if these are them or not just hoping they are.
Please help me or dirrect me to help because I really can't enjoy games if my computer shuts off

• 10 Replies
GregWeeler
GregWeeler
259 posts
Nomad

Hmm, it may very well be a virus. Have you tried a virus scan? If you do not have a virus scan I would be happy to supply you a link to a good quality one that is free. (I'm not exactly sure what the policy of advertising is, but it's helping out, right?)

Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

if the anti virus you're thinking of is AVG then I already got it, Ive also scanned my computer with a couple different scanners, and they didn't come up with anything, also forgot to mention that sometimes my computer on start-up after a crash will run a disk check or will ask whic hsettings to log on with: last settings that work, normal etc, ive tried so many things im beginning to think its a malfunction or something.

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

if it asks which settings you want to boot on it just means your computer unexpectedly crashed. I would suggest getting out your windows CD and having it search your dll files and such, the cd will replace any corrupt or missing files. Might solve your problem. By the way, which service pack are you on?

Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

ok one, i bought my computer off the shelf from future shop so it didn't come with a windows cd, i'll have to check if my parents computer has one. By service pack do u mean like XP, Me 98? if so I have windows XP with service pack 2.

LordBob
LordBob
517 posts
Nomad

Heres what you do

1) Hold down ESC,CTRL,TAB,ALT, BOTH SHIFTS, NUM LOCK, and the little squiggley until your screen turns blue.

2)Throw out the windows screaming LEEROY JANNNKKKKIIIINNNNSSSSS!!!!

If you do those 2 easy steps I ASSURE That your itunes playlist will be clear. (:

To get to the point, trying opening up your computer in safe mode and see if that makes a difference, if it does then you have a virus, if not then its a more serious problem.

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Most games don't work in safe mode. By service pack I mean 1, 2, or 3. SP's are big updates that windows gives out once and a while online. Sometimes its automatically updated. When I got Service pack 3 my computer went to hell. I went to Add/Remove programs and deleted all microsoft automatic updates for past week and set it so it won
t update and my problems were gone. Maybe thats for you too.

Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

well it might if service pack 2 will screw up my computer, and I don't think its a virus because i've ran so many virus scans and used at least 3 different scanners so maybe its a malfunction or sumthin, all i realy know is it drives me nuts. Maybe I'll update to service pack 3, it might change something, how would I go about doing that any way?

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Try download and installing the new .net framework that should help also.
.net framework:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=333325fd-ae52-4e35-b531-508d977d32a6&DisplayLang=en

And I believe this is Service Pack 3:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&DisplayLang=en

Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

ok im downloading service pack 3 and I already had the .net framework but im repairing that too, lets hope this works nd thanks for the help so far guys.

Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

okay service pack 3 and the .net framework didn't help at all, but i did find out that my computer is overheating, so I took it in to futureshop because it was still under warranty, they said they fixed it and that it was just conflicting virus scanner, I guess norton didnt full uninstall, and they ran stress tests but my computer still overheats and shuts off. Right now im running a virus scan and the temperature is 88 degrees celsius so either the fans dont work properly or something wierd is going on.

Showing 1-10 of 10