ForumsSupport Forum[Answered] Recommended Thread Placements

14 2598
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

This thread is intended as a guide to thread placement, since the forum descriptions are confusing to some users (such as the OP of the linked thread). In this thread, I will provide placement advice for threads that could go in multiple forums.

-----------------------------------------

Threads to report a bug or glitch should go in the Support Forum. Alternatively, you could report a quest bug in this thread.

A thread goes in the News, Feedback, and Suggestions forum if its intended purpose is to give site/forum news, give feedback on something other than a bug or glitch, or to make a suggestion related to the site.

Threads to discuss a flash game or to give a walkthrough to a non-AG flash game go in Flash Games.

Threads to discuss quests go in the Quests forum, though in some cases it is better to make a post in an existing thread for a game's quests.

Threads to discuss or give a walkthrough to a video game go in Video Games.

Threads to give a walkthrough to an AG flash game go in Game Walkthroughs.

-----------------------------------

The other forums lack overlap, so it should be easy to figure out where a thread goes if it's not covered by this guide (the description and stickies are there to help you).

• 14 Replies
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

I think better would be fixing the forum descriptions so people understand them more clearly. Do you have suggestions for that?

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Some ideas:

-Change the 'Support Forum' to 'Assistance Forum' (or something like that).
The description states Need help with the site? Want to help others with problems? Post here which implies the Support Forum is for everything related to needing and giving assistance to problems. Keeping it as a 'Support' forum makes it sound like it'd be designed for giving complimentary support to the staff for stuff, like "Thanks for ---" and "This --- is fantastic."

-Change the description of the Newcomers Forum.
Considering the fact that the Support Forum is dedicated to Q&A, why does the Newcomers Forum say Ask questions and introduce yourselves here!? Ask questions? I thought that was what the Support Forum was for...

-News, Feedback and Suggestions is fine as it is.
Don't change it.

-Change the description of Flash Games.
Currently it reads Talk here about your favorite Flash games, strategy, and more!. First off, "Talk here" sounds strange and I don't think it's grammatically correct. Secondly, "Flash" isn't a proper noun so it shouldn't be capitalized. Thirdly, there shouldn't be a comma after "and." Finally, the whole phrase is confusing. I think you should rewrite it to say, "Here you can talk about everything related to flash games."

-Quests is fine.
Don't change it.

-Change the MMO Games description.
Right now it reads All MMO discussions go here. If you need help, please use the "Support Only" section. To begin, it should make note that only MMO Games on AG belong there. Next, we don't have a "Support Only" section. We currently have a "Support Forum" though. It also doesn't make note that non-technical help is allowed there, which is misleading.

-Change the Video Games description.
It says Anything related to Console, PC, and Portable gaming (No Flash topics). Console, Portable and Flash should not be capitalized because they aren't proper nouns. Otherwise it's fine.

-Forum Games is fine.
Don't change it.

-Game Walkthroughs is fine.
Don't change it.

-WEPR is fine.
Don't change it.

-Change the description on Popular Media.
You should probably note that it should be stuff non-user created.

-The Tavern is fine
Don't change it... though it's missing a period; minor.

-Programming Help is fine.
Don't change it.

-AMW is fine.
Don't change it... though changing "NO" to "No" might look better.

-Keep categorical consistency.
We have 2 categories non-medieval themed (Armor Games & Gaming) and we have 2 categories medieval themed (The Courtyard & The Forge). Please, either keep the Community medieval or modern. NOT both! It looks bad. Also, why do we have a category named "Armor Games"? Isn't that a bit strange?

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

we don't have a "Support Only" section. We currently have a "Support Forum" though.

Support Forum used to be called Support Only, so that's just outdated. Here's an idea to improve the description of the MMO Forum:

Discuss MMO games on AG here. You can also ask for non-technical help here, but please use the Support Forum for technical help.

If the admins rename the Support Forum, then substitute the new name where it says "Support Forum".
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

@Patrick
Yeah, that sounds good. I like the ring to it.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Combine flash games, quests, mmos, and game walkthroughs. They're all about AG games and I don't think they need to be separate.

Combine support and news. They're both for things relating to ArmorGames, just call it ArmorGames then make the description something like "site problems and news and discussion on site features".

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

"site problems and news and discussion on site features"

Or everything related to ArmorGames.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Combine flash games, quests, mmos, and game walkthroughs. They're all about AG games and I don't think they need to be separate.

Not really, but Game Walkthroughs could be integrated into Flash Games. Quests and MMOs do not need to be discussed in the same forum as each other or with flash games in general.

Combine support and news. They're both for things relating to ArmorGames, just call it ArmorGames then make the description something like "site problems and news and discussion on site features".

That's what Support and Suggestions used to be, but I think there are better names than both "Support and Suggestions" and "ArmorGames". For example, it could be called "Site Discussions".
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Not really, but Game Walkthroughs could be integrated into Flash Games. Quests and MMOs do not need to be discussed in the same forum as each other or with flash games in general.

The MMO section is about MMOs on AG, and quests are about AG games as well, so I think it'd make sense to combine all of them. Call the section general gaming or whatever other name you like, but there's really no reason for all of those to have a section of their own.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

"Flash" isn't a proper noun so it shouldn't be capitalized.
...in what reality? Flash in the word Flash game refers to a program named Flash.

Otherwise I like Sal's suggestions. In particular, a Medieval themed thing for "Gaming" would be good. I think the help section needs a normal name, though, so as not to confuse people.
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Yes actually Flash is a proper noun. Looking at suggestions and making some alterations.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

I've done some small alterations, we'll see the results of those. I do appreciate everybody's input. Combining categories is a much bigger issue.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

So Flash is proper? I guess you learn something new everyday. :P
I could have sworn it wasn't, but oh well.

The description changes in the Gaming category look good. They've been simplified but still get the point across. Otherwise the only change I see is in the AMW description wherein the parentheses were removed and "NO" changed to "No". Looks good so far.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

The word "Flash" is actually the name of the program, and copywrite to Adobe.

Is there any changes that you feel should have definitely be made, that haven't been?

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Yeah, I looked Flash up. I'm good with that now.

If I were you, I would just annihilate the Game Walkthroughs section and transfer everything that was there to Flash Games. The GW section isn't used a whole lot and the FG section could use some spicing up. Most people just post walkthroughs in Flash Games anyway. I know, that's asking a bit much, but I believe it would help.

Showing 1-14 of 14