Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Most important language/ universal language

Posted Jun 10, '13 at 12:43pm

toemas

toemas

348 posts

i think American is the most important language...

mandarin seems important but there are alot of south Americans were i live so it would be cool if i could talk to them.

Posted Jun 10, '13 at 12:48pm

wflag10

wflag10

1,315 posts

i think American is the most important language...

I don't think there is a language called "American"......

Posted Jun 10, '13 at 3:51pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

10,003 posts

I don't think there is a language called "American"......

Den you best be gettin out of 'ere boy!

Posted Jun 10, '13 at 4:14pm

Ferret

Ferret

8,616 posts

Administrator

Dook dook dook!

Posted Jun 10, '13 at 4:52pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

10,003 posts

My gosh Ferret XD

Is this you? =p

Posted Jun 10, '13 at 9:12pm

yourawesomeness

yourawesomeness

118 posts

Looking at some of the earlier posts, I see lots of people saying that a universal language should be developed.
I think that diversity is beautiful and what makes us human and reminds us of who we are individually and as a country. In addition, developing a universal language is impossible. First of all, what committee would devise this language? no one would agree on the experts. Also, which language would be the base language? Each language wants to be the base (BTW if a universal language ever becomes more plausible, I think Latin should be the base). Only a very minor problem but what would this be called? I think this is the biggest problem: how do we start using this system? the committee members would have to teach others, there would be endless memorization, grammar issues, flaws in the language, convincing obstinate countries to adopt the system, and the education of future generations. Teachers would have to learn the language then teach it, taking years, and everyone who was speaking when the new language was released would be confused to say the least. When new language speakers and old speakers mingle, confusion would be rampant because they would not know the other's language.
My closing argument is that it's not a bad idea, just entirely impossible.

Posted Jun 10, '13 at 9:29pm

yourawesomeness

yourawesomeness

118 posts

If anyone has any more food for thought in response to the universal language, please post it on my profile page also because I want to see it and there is no assurance that I will check this. Or if I made any mistakes.
In response to "What is the Most Important Language?"
I think there is no most important language, only important languages like Latin. as a Latin student it is helpful and helps in the learning of other languages like English and Spanish. Learning Latin is a sound investment if someone also wants to learn Romance languages like Spanish and French.
English is important because of the (opinion) two world superpowers that use it and the billions there and around the world.

Posted Jun 11, '13 at 4:27am

Pazx

Pazx

6,123 posts

Latin is useless unless you want to study some form of history that has a great emphasis on it.

Posted Jun 11, '13 at 6:04am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,522 posts

Knight

Thanks, yourawesomeness, finally someone agreeing that diversity isn't all that bad!

But yeah, Latin is useful for some professions only, and even then only limited use of it. I'm sorry to say but Latin students seem to me to be the only people using it as is, correctly and entirely.
Besides, it would be a rather hard language to learn compared to others that are much easier. If you want a universal language, you want it to be accessible to as many persons as possible.

If English would be the choice, which to me sounds like the most reasonable (Mandarin is spoken by a lot of people, just relatively localized), let me just say that I would rather have British English than American English.

Posted Jun 11, '13 at 6:12am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

10,003 posts

Random thought

Surely I'm not the only one to notice how in movies/video games/books/etc. whenever there is another "race" (i.e. aliens) from another planet, not only does the entirety of the race look **** similar (as opposed to our human race, with noticeable differences between ourselves) but they all speak one language.

If an alien race ever came to Earth, one of two things will happen (or both)

1) We are going to be thrown in a loop when we find out that two different creatures are actually from the same alien race

2) The alien race will be very much confused when going around to different locations on Earth

Reply to Most important language/ universal language

You must be logged in to post a reply!