Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Most important language/ universal language

Posted Jun 11, '13 at 7:55am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,618 posts

Knight

i think American is the most important language...

The **** did I just read......

Posted Jun 11, '13 at 11:44am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,584 posts

Knight

Surely I'm not the only one to notice how in movies/video games/books/etc. whenever there is another "race" (i.e. aliens) from another planet, not only does the entirety of the race look **** similar (as opposed to our human race, with noticeable differences between ourselves) but they all speak one language.

1) It is not necessarily worth the effort to design several dialects for a language in a single game or movie. Same probably with the looks, making a standard alien and multiplicate it is easier. Or do things like in Lord of the Rings, where the big armies are mostly digitally duplicated, smaller groups.

2) We would all look the same to an alien, most probably, like most animals of a single species look the same to us. Except if we get to know the animals well, of course (a farmer may know all his cows by name, and animals of company are easy to recognize too).

Posted Jun 11, '13 at 10:01pm

thepyro222

thepyro222

2,237 posts

The universal language is English because we are America and we have such a strong influence all around the world. We import and export the most out of all of the global powers, so yeah. The culture follows.

Posted Jun 12, '13 at 7:19am

partydevil

partydevil

5,306 posts

The universal language is English because we are America and we have such a strong influence all around the world.

it's because the UK was concurring the world befor the usa even existed.
people around the world have heard english and have been talking whit english people. befor the the usa existed.

We import and export the most out of all of the global powers, so yeah. The culture follows.

lol onbviously china and india have the most import/export.
and the netherlands has the most import/export per capita.

(so long for your usa glorification.)

Posted Jun 12, '13 at 9:03am

GandalftheGrey666

GandalftheGrey666

1,926 posts

onbviously china and india have the most import/export.

Agreed, that's why Chinese, Mandarin, Hindu and other Asian languages are important.

Posted Jun 12, '13 at 9:08am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,618 posts

Knight

it's because the UK was concurring the world befor the usa even existed.
people around the world have heard english and have been talking whit english people. befor the the usa existed.

+1. Why do you think a quarter of Africa, India, Canada, the States all speak English? No, not America.

Rule Britannia.

Posted Jun 15, '13 at 10:43pm

SunPixie

SunPixie

76 posts

Actually I'm pretty sure America imports more than China, but China exports more than America.

I am not a fan of a universal language at all. It would be easier to all speak the same language, but more often than not, language connects you to other cultures more than just learning the customs. I do, however, think that everyone should know at least two if not three different languages. English is my first language and it is one of the more popular languages in the world, obviously. But I've also studied Chinese over the past 4 years and it has open up my mind to all sorts of culturally diverse areas. I'm now way more accepting of different political ideas and other things that are polar opposites of America.

Anyways. I think everyone should at least know english, chinese, and a third language of their choice. AT LEAST. Because once you understand the chinese language and culture, a lot of this love-hate stuff we have going on between us will end. It also opens up at least a hundred sub languages and helps you understand other aspects of other asian languages and cultures, which happen to be becoming more popular.

I like European languages, but I would learn those languages more for fun than I would business opportunities. The old continent is full of history I would enjoy, but thats about it.
GERMAN CAN BE A BEAUTIFUL LANGUAGE TOO, YOU KNOW. When spoken by the right person. I don't find French to be romantic at all, unless 80% throaty noises are your thing. Spain Spainish I know nothing about, but Mexican Spanish I know a bit. It helps to know Mexican Spanish when you live by the border, but other than that it isn't helpful. Yes there is a difference in Spanish between Spain and Mexican, just like there is a difference in British and English. A lot of the terms we use and totally foreign to them, because generations after generations have developed without direct influence from their mother country.

African languages would be really fun to me as well, and as soon as I have toured Asia for 5 years-15 years, Africa is next on my list. HUNDREDS of languages and so much culture to learn about. It will be so much fun. But less is know about those because Africa isn't really popular on the global business scale, so there isn't much need to know them unless you're doing long term volunteer work, really.

Alright this is just some of my input on languages and the world and so on and so forth. This is sort of the major I plan on doing in college, so if anyone has any viable information about languages, hit me up yo.

Posted Jun 16, '13 at 10:22am

partydevil

partydevil

5,306 posts

Actually I'm pretty sure America imports more than China, but China exports more than America.

dont forget all the raw materials that china imports cheaply from africa. that it manufacturs to products that they export again. china barely uses their own ground materials.

Africa isn't really popular on the global business scale, so there isn't much need to know them unless you're doing long term volunteer work, really.

asia is becoming to expensive. africa is the future in 10-15 years from now (or south america)

Posted Jun 16, '13 at 10:53am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,618 posts

Knight

asia is becoming to expensive. africa is the future in 10-15 years from now (or south america)

Africa is the future already. Certain parts of Asia are too expensive, hence China is shifting production to less developed, inland provinces. Also, watch Vietnam, Cambodia and the other SEA nations.

Posted Jun 16, '13 at 11:06am

SunPixie

SunPixie

76 posts

Well China had a great run, then. but still i would vote it be known, considering 1 billion people thing. I would be able to talk about China more if I knew anything about it other than the patriotic speeches of my chinese teacher that cant be held as viable.

Well Africa can be used to import cheap things but it depends on which part of Africa, right? there are so many different languages there and it cant become a mass producing country without some sort of large scale unification between areas. you cant totally industrialize one part of africa due to bandits and pirates, right? if the future industrious leaders pissed off the wrong people, their whole operation could be gone within a day. Im not saying Africa couldnt be the next big thing, but without some sort of recognization on a global level for something other than "come here to do volunteer work", a lot of people would probably take it as a joke.

not to mention if americans found out there would be so much crap. we would probably involve ourselves with "revitalizing Africa" for all of the common business reasons. Like we normally do. But then again think of the social outcomes that could happen.

i dont even think we are on topic anymore but this is still good conversation so its acceptable.

please dont take my words as factual, im just pondering it all i do not know anything for certain.

Reply to Most important language/ universal language

You must be logged in to post a reply!