Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Why are people homeless?

Posted Apr 23, '13 at 2:05am

LlordMaso

LlordMaso

40 posts

Sometimes it is just a matter of luck in which economy class are you born..
but still, I believe that it is not person's fault if he was born poor but it will be his fault if he will die doing nothing to improve his life...

Posted Apr 23, '13 at 3:27am

yuri26anime

yuri26anime

14 posts

Sometimes it is just a matter of luck in which economy class are you born..
but still, I believe that it is not person's fault if he was born poor but it will be his fault if he will die doing nothing to improve his life...

I agree with you Maso if you're born poor and die poor you did not do anything to improve yourself but if you're born poor and die rich you had only prove that being poor is just a matter of choice not a lifetime status :D

Posted Apr 23, '13 at 4:20am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,083 posts

Knight

I don't like that mindset. Just because you died poor doesn't mean you didn't try. Just because you try doesn't mean you'll succeed.

Not being able to pay the rent anymore can happen fast if you were already on the limit before and something happens. There are situations where you just can't get out without a certain input from outside. You can't get a house if you don't have a job. You can't get a job if you don't have a house. Watcha gonna do?

Posted Apr 23, '13 at 10:45pm

LlordMaso

LlordMaso

40 posts

I don't like that mindset. Just because you died poor doesn't mean you didn't try. Just because you try doesn't mean you'll succeed.

The main point was at least you have tried that's why I've also said
"his fault if he will die DOING NOTHING to improve his life..."

Posted Apr 24, '13 at 4:01pm

goumas13

goumas13

4,487 posts

how much of the blame would you then attribute to homeless people (specifically adults) for creating their own situation? Hence, do we have an obligation to help them or no (and how much)?

Honestly, I can't answer the question quantitatively. However, I do think we have an obligation (as a society) to offer assistance to homeless people, regardless of the cause that led them to homelessness, not only for moral reasons, but also for economic ones. Homeless assistance can create positive externalities (i.e. a benefit which results from an activity which affects an otherwise uninvolved party who did not choose to incur benefit), like for example lower unemployment rate, greater productivity, less criminality etc., thus it can promote the interests of society as a whole.
Anyway, this is just my personal opinion.

Based on that info, couldn't the reverse also be true? (instead of just mental issues leading to homelessness, homelessness also leading to mental issues) Lacking economic stability leads to stress and stuff.

Yes, most certainly. Some researchers suggest that homeless people with and without mental illness have similar biographical and demographic profiles and that high levels of mental distress are common to all homeless persons, hence they claim that people who are homeless and mentally ill are not distinct from other homeless persons.

Not being able to pay the rent anymore can happen fast if you were already on the limit before and something happens. There are situations where you just can't get out without a certain input from outside

Quite true, considering that housing costs consume a large share of a person's income (more than one-third is spent on rent). Homelessness can be an extreme form of housing market malfunction.

Posted Apr 24, '13 at 4:18pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

5,011 posts

Homeless assistance can create positive externalities

It could also be enabling negative habbits if it's not done right. Teaching them useful skills that they could use to work is far better than endless handouts.

Homelessness can be an extreme form of housing market malfunction.

The 'malfunction' was the rubber band snapping back. People had been living beyond their means and spending more than they could afford.

Posted Apr 24, '13 at 6:39pm

goumas13

goumas13

4,487 posts

The 'malfunction' was the rubber band snapping back. People had been living beyond their means and spending more than they could afford.

The housing market quite often does not operate in an optimum way (for whatever reasons), there are many market imperfections (a.k.a. market failures, market malfunctions). These market failures generate a number of problems, including an escalation in house prices and rents, and inequalities, so some persons face increasing affordability problems in accessing housing or are excluded from housing altogether.

The people that had been living beyond their means are mainly a subprime market failure (subprime lenders are borrowers who might be less likely to repay a loan). Market imperfections in the Mortgage Finance System are pretty classic: asymmetric information and agency problems. It doesn't really have much to do with the housing market per se, it's sort of a different type of monster.

Posted Apr 25, '13 at 9:37am

KnightDeclan

KnightDeclan

487 posts

The government is providing free homes (for minorities) but some people are too lazy or too prideful to take it.

Posted Apr 25, '13 at 9:39am

KnightDeclan

KnightDeclan

487 posts

Some people like being homeless. No bills, taxes, or responsibilities.  Complete freedom.  Collecting cans and getting lunch sounds good to me.

Reply to Why are people homeless?

You must be logged in to post a reply!