Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

What would be the best way to unpopulate the earth

Posted May 28, '13 at 1:08pm

SonOfVader

SonOfVader

113 posts

Never. This has already led to too many troubles with people preferring sons to daughters; besides, China is starting to feel the economic consequences of that policy, so it would be stupid to start with it elsewhere when clearly it does you no good.

Actually, can you link any statistics regarding the effect it has had on China?
I'm quite interested...

Posted May 28, '13 at 2:43pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,007 posts

Knight

Couldn't find a statistic about this. Guess it's pretty hard to come by.. but I found the following links:

This one is about a recent study that analyzed the (potential) impact of the policy on people:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20976432

Here it mentions what "some analysts" say (found similar claims all across the internet, actually; but as I said, claims):
http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_03_12/One-c … s-economy/

This one is interesting as it shows both sides of the debate. Honestly it made me think about the possible necessity of the policy for China (and only for China, as the situation is not comparable to any other country):
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/ … 4S20130408

Posted May 29, '13 at 7:01am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,884 posts

Knight

To clarify, the government artificially produces jobs, mainly with the PLA. The PLA (People's Liberation Army) is the world's largest employer. To drive my point in, here's a photo my mother took while we were at the Ice Festival in Beijing.

I don't see how that is in any way ''artificial''. It's still a job, and the government needs it, seeing the massive amount of terrain and population needed to be patrolled. China actually spends more or an equal amount of money on internal security than external security.

Elderly Chinese are actually really tough, because they're the survivors of the Great Leap Forward.
Lastly, I'm saying the one-child policy should be implemented worldwide.

No....This is a rather false assumption. In that case, wouldn't any war veteran, or any survivor of a totalitarian regime be equally tough? Yet we see elderly care homes springing up everywhere. An old person is still an old person no matter what, and we cannot expect them realistically to continue shouldering the burden of the economy.

Lastly, I would like to add that the effect of being a single child does have its negative side effects. At least, from what I can glimpse from my friends and previous classmates from China. It's not altogether healthy.

Posted May 29, '13 at 7:11am

partydevil

partydevil

5,094 posts

I'm saying the one-child policy should be implemented worldwide

noooooo!
then in 40 year only 1/4 of the living people would be in the working stage of life.
bringing the economic burden of everyone on the shoulders of 1/4 of the population is just crazy. they wont be able to make enough money to sustain everyone. china is getting away whit it because of it's reserves. but for about any other country that does have a debt. this is just not possible.

It's not altogether healthy.

how so? there is nothing wrong whit being the only child right?

Posted May 29, '13 at 7:20am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,884 posts

Knight

how so? there is nothing wrong whit being the only child right?

Not in all people. But Hahiha's links have already shown some of the traits that I see in them. Overly competitive, less interactive and capable of interactive with people, slightly more selfish, and the like.

Posted May 29, '13 at 8:35am

partydevil

partydevil

5,094 posts

i dont see how that is the cause of being a only child. there are enough people that have brothers/sisters and are like that aswell.

Posted May 29, '13 at 8:38am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,007 posts

Knight

i dont see how that is the cause of being a only child. there are enough people that have brothers/sisters and are like that aswell.

No one claimed it was unique to being an only child, nor did anybody claim that it was a necessary consequence of it.

It just tends to influence people that way. Read the first link, especially the last critique part.

Posted May 29, '13 at 8:42am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,884 posts

Knight

Of course. Major duh. But when you have a nation where the majority are single child families, trouble tends to manifest on a much larger scale.

Posted May 29, '13 at 8:53am

SonOfVader

SonOfVader

113 posts

Not in all people. But Hahiha's links have already shown some of the traits that I see in them. Overly competitive, less interactive and capable of interactive with people, slightly more selfish, and the like.

I'm an only child... :/

Posted May 29, '13 at 8:58am

partydevil

partydevil

5,094 posts

No one claimed it was unique to being an only child, nor did anybody claim that it was a necessary consequence of it.

then why do we link it to each other?

It just tends to influence people that way. Read the first link, especially the last critique part.

i dont have all the time right now. so i have only readed the last part.
and i have to agree whit the ending:
"there are almost an infinite number of other explanations of anything else that could have varied with time: variation of socio-economic environment, prosperity, nutrition, political environment - anything."

as for the bit above that:
"They are making very strong claims about differences in behaviour for people born before or after 1979, and they are inferring it is all to do with the introduction of the one child policy in that year."

if the law was introduced in 1979 then the signs of these trades should only be visual since 2000 or so.
not instantly.

Of course. Major duh.

thats what i thought

But when you have a nation where the majority are single child families, trouble tends to manifest on a much larger scale.

i still dont see that link tho. and i'm not even sure i understand what you mean by "trouble tends to manifest on a much larger scale."

Reply to What would be the best way to unpopulate the earth

You must be logged in to post a reply!