ForumsWEPRWhat would be the best way to unpopulate the earth

255 90986
thecode11
thecode11
239 posts
Nomad

Any answers hopefully humane and by unpopulate i mean lower human populations.

• 255 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

it doesn't even replace your current population.

That's kind of the point.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

That's kind of the point.

No, it shouldn't be, because not all nations should aim to unpopulate themselves. Not all nations have advanced to the level that they can afford to. The Chinese need the manpower, they need the people to support the increasingly small age pyramid, with the elderly becoming even more of a burden.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

No, it shouldn't be

you sure china can't do whit less? ive heard about 1/3 of the chinese have no job and no income. but still they need food and clothes.
i guess if this 1/3 would be dead, that it would boost the chinese economy.

anyway it is kind of the point of the topic
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

you sure china can't do whit less? ive heard about 1/3 of the chinese have no job and no income. but still they need food and clothes.

The unemployment rate hovers at 4-5%, which is rather stellar. They're not really running out of jobs, but they are running out of places at retirement homes, and for people to care for them, i.e support their elderly, and the economy simultaneously.

anyway it is kind of the point of the topic

I take a different view point from lowering population.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

The unemployment rate hovers at 4-5%, which is rather stellar.

must have been something else then.

they are running out of places at retirement homes, and for people to care for them, i.e support their elderly, and the economy simultaneously.

import from south europe
they have to many people working in the health care.
as for room.... well there are ghosts city's in china that look like new. (because it is all still new. xD) put them all in there and your almost sure the city will get populated.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Here's unemployment around the world. Even India, with their extremely large population, is under 10%.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

import from south europe
they have to many people working in the health care.
as for room.... well there are ghosts city's in china that look like new. (because it is all still new. xD) put them all in there and your almost sure the city will get populated.

Proper retirement homes. We can't expect people to simply migrate to ghost cities when they're old.

Also....no. Importing such labour is expensive, considering the wage differences, and that's not even taking into account the cultural difference. Tending to old folk is different from menial labour.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Proper retirement homes. We can't expect people to simply migrate to ghost cities when they're old.

make it a retirement city. that will open up jobs and such for not elders to go go and live there aswell. and those would want some free time and stuff for them aswell.
it could give the ghost city a meaning, so that it will become useful and populated.

Also....no. Importing such labour is expensive, considering the wage differences, and that's not even taking into account the cultural difference. Tending to old folk is different from menial labour.

yea it harder for a asian country i guess. but it works well for us. ^^
the spanish are happy enough they have a wage. it's always more then they can get in spain where to many people apply for those jobs. more then needed
SonOfVader
SonOfVader
110 posts
Blacksmith

Simple: broadcast episodes of Nanny 911 into the homes of the fastest developing countries.

Nerdsoft
Nerdsoft
1,266 posts
Peasant

Would have to allow for at least one male and one female per family so we don't end up with babies being killed for being the wrong gender, as has been a problem in China.

Actually, they were usually aborted. But that stuff has quieted down now, perhaps due to better enforcement of the anti-dowry laws. The dowry was the original problem.
The unemployment rate hovers at 4-5%, which is rather stellar. They're not really running out of jobs, but they are running out of places at retirement homes, and for people to care for them, i.e support their elderly, and the economy simultaneously.

To clarify, the government artificially produces jobs, mainly with the PLA. The PLA (People's Liberation Army) is the world's largest employer. To drive my point in, here's a photo my mother took while we were at the Ice Festival in Beijing.
http://www.escapeartistes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Ice-Skating-in-Beijing-8.jpg
Glorious soldier of the People's Republic, fearlessly guarding ice skates in Beijing.
The Chinese need the manpower, they need the people to support the increasingly small age pyramid, with the elderly becoming even more of a burden.

Elderly Chinese are actually really tough, because they're the survivors of the Great Leap Forward.
Lastly, I'm saying the one-child policy should be implemented worldwide.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Never. This has already led to too many troubles with people preferring sons to daughters; besides, China is starting to feel the economic consequences of that policy, so it would be stupid to start with it elsewhere when clearly it does you no good.
SonOfVader
SonOfVader
110 posts
Blacksmith

Never. This has already led to too many troubles with people preferring sons to daughters; besides, China is starting to feel the economic consequences of that policy, so it would be stupid to start with it elsewhere when clearly it does you no good.

Actually, can you link any statistics regarding the effect it has had on China?
I'm quite interested...
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Couldn't find a statistic about this. Guess it's pretty hard to come by.. but I found the following links:

This one is about a recent study that analyzed the (potential) impact of the policy on people:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20976432

Here it mentions what "some analysts" say (found similar claims all across the internet, actually; but as I said, claims):
http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_03_12/One-child-policy-threatens-China-s-economy/

This one is interesting as it shows both sides of the debate. Honestly it made me think about the possible necessity of the policy for China (and only for China, as the situation is not comparable to any other country):
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/08/us-china-onechild-insight-idUSBRE93714S20130408

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

To clarify, the government artificially produces jobs, mainly with the PLA. The PLA (People's Liberation Army) is the world's largest employer. To drive my point in, here's a photo my mother took while we were at the Ice Festival in Beijing.

I don't see how that is in any way ''artificial''. It's still a job, and the government needs it, seeing the massive amount of terrain and population needed to be patrolled. China actually spends more or an equal amount of money on internal security than external security.

Elderly Chinese are actually really tough, because they're the survivors of the Great Leap Forward.

No....This is a rather false assumption. In that case, wouldn't any war veteran, or any survivor of a totalitarian regime be equally tough? Yet we see elderly care homes springing up everywhere. An old person is still an old person no matter what, and we cannot expect them realistically to continue shouldering the burden of the economy.

Lastly, I would like to add that the effect of being a single child does have its negative side effects. At least, from what I can glimpse from my friends and previous classmates from China. It's not altogether healthy.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

I'm saying the one-child policy should be implemented worldwide

noooooo!
then in 40 year only 1/4 of the living people would be in the working stage of life.
bringing the economic burden of everyone on the shoulders of 1/4 of the population is just crazy. they wont be able to make enough money to sustain everyone. china is getting away whit it because of it's reserves. but for about any other country that does have a debt. this is just not possible.

It's not altogether healthy.

how so? there is nothing wrong whit being the only child right?
Showing 106-120 of 255