Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Why do so many hate Muslims

Posted May 6, '13 at 6:31pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

5,011 posts

A Hui Muslim is different from a Salafi Muslim, or a Sufi Muslim. Now that's simpler.

That depends on the definition of Muslim, as Hui Muslim refers more to the ethnicity than the religion. But for the practicing groups, I'm not saying they aren't different, but I wouldn't call them different groups altogether, as they still share commonalities, such as belief in God and Muhammad as a prophet and his revelations from Gabriel, that would classify them under the general label of Muslim.

Posted May 6, '13 at 6:48pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

as they still share commonalities

There isn't even a fine definition of commonality. Let's say there is a Jewish doctor who lives on Jefferson Street in Dallas, Texas, who is a male human. I am a male human. We both share the commonality of being male humans, despite the fact that there isn't many other ways that we could be different from each other. It all depends on how define the commonalities in question.

Posted May 6, '13 at 8:04pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

5,011 posts

It all depends on how define the commonalities in question.

Which is why I added the clarification of:
that would classify them under the general label of Muslim
Meaning followers of Islam meaning "the religious faith of Muslims, based on the words and religious system founded by the prophet Muhammad and taught by the Koran, the basic principle of which is absolute submission to a unique and personal god, Allah." - Dictionary.com
If they've got those things, they're part of the same main group.

Posted May 6, '13 at 10:30pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,166 posts

Knight

That depends on the definition of Muslim, as Hui Muslim refers more to the ethnicity than the religion. But for the practicing groups, I'm not saying they aren't different, but I wouldn't call them different groups altogether, as they still share commonalities, such as belief in God and Muhammad as a prophet and his revelations from Gabriel, that would classify them under the general label of Muslim.

Yes, but there are sufficient grounds to make them vastly different from one another. The harsh Arabic desert battlefields that have been constantly swamped by colonists, Turks, and Western influences have produced a strain of Islam far more discordant and puritanical than the majority of Muslims in China, who have largely absorbed Chinese cultural influences, leading them to be much more slacked in their practices, such as the Islamic practice of alcohol restriction and ritual washing; Friday prayers are not usually followed too. Chinese practices like incense burning at ancestral tablets and honoring Confucius were taken up; however, the one practice that is observed most stringently is the banning of pork consumption. This makes the Hui Muslims overall as a group much more ''progressive''.

Which is why I added the clarification of:
that would classify them under the general label of Muslim
Meaning followers of Islam meaning "the religious faith of Muslims, based on the words and religious system founded by the prophet Muhammad and taught by the Koran, the basic principle of which is absolute submission to a unique and personal god, Allah." - Dictionary.com
If they've got those things, they're part of the same main group.

Yes, sure, but quoting from of all things, a dictionary, without making a proper argument is brainless. All governments are technically, 'the form or system of rule by which a state, community, etc., is governed'., yet no one in their right minds would say that Hitler's Nazi government shares many commonalities with the Swiss democracy that would make meaningful discussion worthy.

In sum, yes, they are all Muslims,  but does it even add to the discussion, when we delve deeper into the issue with real world case studies?

Posted May 7, '13 at 5:37pm

toemas

toemas

315 posts

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Islamic_terrorist_attacks]

Not all Muslims are radical but I think there is something much darker beneath the surface.

Posted May 7, '13 at 5:39pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,704 posts

Not all Muslims are radical but I think there is something much darker beneath the surface.

Same can be said about many religions

Posted May 7, '13 at 5:45pm

toemas

toemas

315 posts

So what? I didn’t say all others are perfectly innocent.
I’m saying Islam has always had a history of brutality.

Posted May 7, '13 at 5:51pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,704 posts

I’m saying Islam has always had a history of brutality.

And I'm just saying that I don't see why that is a reason to solely hate them.

Now..if you "hate" the other groups with a history of brutality (i.e. Catholicism) as well..then I'll leave the matter alone

Posted May 7, '13 at 6:09pm

thepunisher93

thepunisher93

1,859 posts

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Islamic_terrorist_attacks]

Most of those attacks are against Israel, India or USA.
They can be justified as as a reaction to the atrocities of these countries.

Posted May 7, '13 at 7:17pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,591 posts

Most of those attacks are against Israel, India or USA.
They can be justified as as a reaction to the atrocities of these countries.

You aren't helping your case by saying that there's justification in acts of terror, murder and destruction.

Reply to Why do so many hate Muslims

You must be logged in to post a reply!