Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Why do so many hate Muslims

Posted May 10, '13 at 7:04am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,166 posts

Knight

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featur … 71641.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/17/busin … d=all&_r=0
http://www.economist.com/node/21556977
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/19/opinion/i … oil-juhasz
http://www.carbonweb.org/documents/crud … _large.pdf

Yes really. From a narrowly selfish point of view, it didn't make sense to fight war for oil. Here's where economics kicks in. There is a world market for oil. There is no danger that a country that wants to keep the United States from getting oil can do so simply by restricting sales to the United States. The reason is that it will then want to sell its oil elsewhere. That means that someone who buys that newly freed-up oil will then want to buy less from his suppliers. Those suppliers then have oil to sell and Americans can buy that oil. It's a game of musical chairs in which the number of chairs equals the number of players. The game would be awfully boring, but in international trade, boring is good.

The only way a country's government can hurt the United States using the 'oil weapon' is to reduce its own production. But then, that country, unless it produces a huge amount of the world's supply, will hurt itself as well. And that country will hurt its oil-consuming allies and help its oil-producing enemies.

As recently as December 2012, Iraq provided the United States with approximately 14.3 million barrels of oil out of a total of about 298 million barrels imported, or 4.8 percent of our total imports. And as this chart indicates, the US was importing the highest amount of oil from Iraq before they went to war to oust Saddam Hussein.

Furthermore, the United States fully supported the United Nations’ oil embargo against Iraq, imposed when Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait in 1990. They continued to support it even when it was revealed that the eventual softening of those sanctions, known as the oil for food program, revealed that Russia, France and a number of other nations were collaborating with Saddam Hussein to violate sanctions in return for billions of dollars of ill-gotten gains. Of the 52 countries named in a report compiled by former Federal Reserve chairman Paul Volcker detailing the scandal, only 28 even wanted the evidence, and the United States led the way in prosecuting those implicated.

In fact, it can be argued that the US didn't benefit that much from Iraq opening up; many other international bidders have won contracts. Furthermore, the first postwar oil license awarded by the Iraqi government in 2008 was to the state-run China National Petroleum Corp. (CNPC), in the form of a $3.5 billion development contract for Iraqi oil field Al-Ahdab. In December 2009, in the second round of bids to develop Iraq’s vast untapped oil reserves (following a June auction allowing foreign companies the chance to increase production at existing fields), China and Russia emerged with the lion’s share of the contracts.

Furthermore, using simple math, one can overturn such arguments. The best survey of possible costs before the war, by William D Nordhaus, was that the simplest, quickest American victory would have cost $99 billion, with an upper limit of $1.9 trillion “if the US has a string of bad luck or misjudgments during or after the war”.

On that basis, the cheapest war would have taken 8 years to pay for itself, assuming that the entire profits of the Iraqi oil industry could be confiscated by the Americans to pay for their invasion (about which international law might also have something to say).  Rupert Murdoch was famously hopeful that the oil price would fall to $20 a barrel as result of the war, in which case Iraqi oil profits would take 30 years to pay for it. If one takes instead the actual cost of the war, it soaks up 250 years of oil profits, while Iraq’s oil reserves will be exhausted in about 100 years.  Quite simply, there isn't enough oil in Iraq to justify the huge cost of invading it.

Posted May 10, '13 at 11:14am

partydevil

partydevil

5,109 posts

There is a world market for oil. There is no danger that a country that wants to keep the United States from getting oil can do so simply by restricting sales to the United States. The reason is that it will then want to sell its oil elsewhere. That means that someone who buys that newly freed-up oil will then want to buy less from his suppliers. Those suppliers then have oil to sell and Americans can buy that oil. It's a game of musical chairs in which the number of chairs equals the number of players. The game would be awfully boring, but in international trade, boring is good.

very nicely said. really nothing to add to it.

Posted May 11, '13 at 1:57pm

mbbs112

mbbs112

174 posts

sigh.. im a Muslim myself and that guy up there said that not all of Islam is noble,he's wrong,it is the best religion as it teaches peace and bans all king of things such as alcohol,being nice,not committing crimes and not quarreling with others and people only hate Muslims because of 9/11,Americans blame osama bin laden for it and as he was a Muslim they are taking it out on Muslims even though they dont know that only some Muslims have gotten corrupt but that doesn't mean you should blame the whole lot of them .

Posted May 11, '13 at 2:26pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,166 posts

Knight

sigh.. im a Muslim myself and that guy up there said that not all of Islam is noble,he's wrong,it is the best religion as it teaches peace and bans all king of things such as alcohol,being nice,not committing crimes and not quarreling with others and people only hate Muslims because of 9/11,Americans blame osama bin laden for it and as he was a Muslim they are taking it out on Muslims even though they dont know that only some Muslims have gotten corrupt but that doesn't mean you should blame the whole lot of them .

As much as I defend Islam from people who criticize it incessantly; it's still a religion that has bred violence over the centuries, a minority maybe, but it has led to enough death, blood and pain. You might follow a peaceful path, but there is enough about the religion to detest certain parts of it.

Posted May 11, '13 at 2:54pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

5,011 posts

people only hate Muslims because of 9/11

I could bring up a slew of other events/reasons. That's hardly the only one.

that guy up there said that not all of Islam is noble,he's wrong

only some Muslims have gotten corrupt

Are you saying the corrupt ones are noble? If not, then he wasn't wrong.

Posted May 11, '13 at 3:50pm

KnightDeclan

KnightDeclan

487 posts

Muslims aren't that bad of a people.  They are all looked on as terrorists just because of some crimes of certain ones.  We can't blame a whole race because of a few guys.  We don't hate all of Germany because of Hitler, or all of America because of Charles Manson lol.

Posted May 11, '13 at 5:33pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

5,011 posts

We can't blame a whole race because of a few guys.

I detest any group that subscribes to literature dictating to kill all nonbelievers, or worship a god who claims he'll make his arrows drunk with blood as his sword devours flesh.

Posted May 11, '13 at 5:35pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

5,011 posts

And Muslim isn't a race/ethnicity.

Posted May 11, '13 at 6:54pm

KnightDeclan

KnightDeclan

487 posts

No it's not, I'm sorry it came out like that.  But still, I know a lot of muslems, and they never tried to kill me, so I think we should give them a chance.  Idk why ur so hateful to me.  If i was hating on them, you would just be loving them, just to go against me.

Posted May 11, '13 at 7:22pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,591 posts

Idk why ur so hateful to me.

Disagreement isn't hate, and EmperorPalpatine was just correcting something he thought you made a factual error on.

If i was hating on them, you would just be loving them, just to go against me.

No, I mostly agree with your last few posts in this thread. Which is why I haven't posted anything in response until now. The WEPR isn't a place for backpatting, it's for debate. If I have nothing to add/comment on, I'm not going to post, "I agree with this."

Reply to Why do so many hate Muslims

You must be logged in to post a reply!