Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Harsh Vocals (growls, screams, etc.)

Posted Apr 29, '13 at 4:23pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,275 posts

No, but what a large segment of teens listen to today; bands like Sleeping With Sirens, Pierce The Veil, Miss I May, Attack! Attack! and the like.

That would be what the general public refers to as "Screamo"

I love harsh vocals when I know the singer can actually sing in the 'normal' sense.

I have a feeling you would very much enjoy Kyo from Dir en Grey

Does this apply to Louis Armstrong?

Love it haha reminds me of something I always wanted to do for fun when/if I get a band together: have heavy metal playing style and vocals, but with lyrics about a cute bunny in a meadow haha

Harsh Vocals is no joke, you can loose the ability to speak from using them.

This cannot be stressed enough. Take care when you are doing them..and make sure you know where your limit is.
One weekend, I wanted to find out how far I could push my throat using harsh vocals..and luckily I had a lot of time spent driving to places, so I would just rock out in my car and sing then. The entire time I was in my car I was doing harsh vocals, and with little to drink. That was the closest I've been to losing my voice..and my throat hurt like a female-dog for the next 2 weeks or so.

1) Drink water, if you don't you're throat will dry up and you will run into throat issues. Drink one glass before attempting these vocals. Wait around 10 - 20 minutes before screaming. Just because you drank water doesn't mean you are hydrated.

Note: make sure the water is warm..hot or cold water can be counter-productive for you.

2) Find a proper volume. Start at a volume that is comfortable and doesn't hurt your throat. As time goes by, elevate that volume. This will take time so don't rush it. It takes around a year or so to master this vocal style.

Don't be embarrassed if you have to start at a low volume. To be honest, my vocals started, basically, at the same volume as a whisper. As time progressed I learned to project my voice more effectively.
A great way to practice growls is by simply talking while practicing. Just pretend to have a conversation with yourself, but try to use a growl the entire time.

Posted Apr 30, '13 at 7:34am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,871 posts

Knight

And metal is it's own branch of music as well, it has no relation to rock or punk. Metal has it's own tree just as rock does. There is Groove Metal, Industrial Metal, Experimental Metal, etc. Metal has no relation to punk or rock. The styles of rock and punk can be incorporated but metal has a more prominent motif.

No....metal has its roots in rock, especially classic 70s metal, which has very clear roots in blues rock and psychedelic rock. It just sort of branched out in such a vibrant way that it looks like a separate genre now.

That would be what the general public refers to as "Screamo"

Ignorance!

Posted Apr 30, '13 at 7:44am

GandalftheGrey666

GandalftheGrey666

1,791 posts

And metal is it's own branch of music as well, it has no relation to rock or punk. Metal has it's own tree just as rock does. There is Groove Metal, Industrial Metal, Experimental Metal, etc. Metal has no relation to punk or rock. The styles of rock and punk can be incorporated but metal has a more prominent motif.

Have more information on shouting in music.

Posted Apr 30, '13 at 2:56pm

JoshTheBoss

JoshTheBoss

412 posts

If you're into practicing this sort of thing, I would highly suggest listening to Naked City. Yamatuska Eye is the singer for the band, and he has impeccable technique when it comes to this vocal style. There's Definitely a lot to learn from him.

Posted Apr 30, '13 at 4:58pm

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,246 posts

Knight

Have more information on shouting in music.

Screaming is not harsh vocals. While they are hand and hand in metal music they are two different things. For instance, if we are doing wikipedia articles:

Screaming

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harsh_Vocals]Death Growls (A.K.A Harsh Vocals[url]

The definition of Screaming in Wikipedia is "Screaming is a vocal technique that is most popular in subgenres of heavy metal, and is also used in some genres of punk, industrial." while Harsh Vocals is "A death growl, also known as death metal vocals, guttural vocals, death grunts, growled vocals, unclean vocals, deadly howls and harsh vocals among other names, is a vocalisation style usually employed by vocalists of the death metal music genres, but also used in a variety of heavy metal styles.". Screams originated from Classical and Experimental Music generally done in plays, then came Blues, Punk, Heavy Metal, etc. Harsh vocals came from rock but became the marker for metal. Two different things that just happen to be used in the same type of music.

No....metal has its roots in rock, especially classic 70s metal, which has very clear roots in blues rock and psychedelic rock. It just sort of branched out in such a vibrant way that it looks like a separate genre now.

Metal is the evolved form of rock, it isn't rock and it has it's own style. Evolution is what separates man from monkey's, it's what separates lizards lizards from dinosaurs, and it most assuredly separates metal from rock. The metal you hear in the 21st century is not what rock was back in the 20th century. Metal in the 20th century wasn't even what rock was in the 20th century, and it isn't now. Evolution. Human beings have Hispanics, Africans, and Europeans. Monkey's have apes, gorilla's, and chimps. Rock has punk and alternative, metal has thrash and industrial.

Note: make sure the water is warm..hot or cold water can be counter-productive for you.

I actually don't notice a difference in my performance if I use warm or cold water. But hot water definitely is counter productive.

1-c) Ways to improve on their techniques

Practice barking like a dog, I know it sounds weird, but barking will help you and it is actually a lot of fun! XD

Posted Apr 30, '13 at 5:04pm

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,246 posts

Knight

I messed up the first paragraph. Let me fix that:

Screaming is not harsh vocals. While they are hand and hand in metal music they are two different things. For instance, if we are doing wikipedia articles:

Screaming

*Death Growls (A.K.A Harsh Vocals

The definition of Screaming in Wikipedia is "Screaming is a vocal technique that is most popular in subgenres of heavy metal, and is also used in some genres of punk, industrial." while Harsh Vocals is "A death growl, also known as death metal vocals, guttural vocals, death grunts, growled vocals, unclean vocals, deadly howls and harsh vocals among other names, is a vocalisation style usually employed by vocalists of the death metal music genres, but also used in a variety of heavy metal styles.". Screams originated from Classical and Experimental Music generally performed in plays, then came Blues, Punk, Heavy Metal, etc. Harsh vocals came from rock but became the marker for metal. Two different things that just happen to be used in the same type of music.

Posted Apr 30, '13 at 9:48pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,871 posts

Knight

Metal is the evolved form of rock, it isn't rock and it has it's own style. Evolution is what separates man from monkey's, it's what separates lizards lizards from dinosaurs, and it most assuredly separates metal from rock. The metal you hear in the 21st century is not what rock was back in the 20th century. Metal in the 20th century wasn't even what rock was in the 20th century, and it isn't now. Evolution. Human beings have Hispanics, Africans, and Europeans. Monkey's have apes, gorilla's, and chimps. Rock has punk and alternative, metal has thrash and industrial.

..... Read my post!

Did I say they're the same thing? No!

There's alternative metal btw, which has influences from alternative rock. Thrash metal also has a lot of influence from punk, and many early thrash bands paid tribute to the punk scene, Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Pantera have all recorded covers and admitted their admiration of punk bands.

Point is, music is all related. And also, read others' post better.

Posted May 1, '13 at 5:34am

GandalftheGrey666

GandalftheGrey666

1,791 posts

Mino, idiot, look at the threads name. The shu guy placed screams in the name of the thread. So, screaming is a harsh vocal.

Posted May 1, '13 at 5:46am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,871 posts

Knight

It's just a matter of semantics. If Pang wants to discuss vocals including screams, but if people contend that they're not harsh vocals, just change the title and get over with the spat.

Posted May 1, '13 at 12:50pm

GandalftheGrey666

GandalftheGrey666

1,791 posts

Pang

*pang

Reply to Harsh Vocals (growls, screams, etc.)

You must be logged in to post a reply!