ForumsThe TavernHarsh Vocals (growls, screams, etc.)

50 15167
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Backstory
While doing one of my many lovable activities, lurking, I came across an interesting conversation between Sal and Mino, in which they were talking about Mino's usage of "harsh vocals" (my words, not theirs). Being another that also practices the technique, I struck up a conversation of my own with Mino, regarding the subject. After a conversing with him for a bit, I decided to create this thread..which I've been meaning to do for some time.

What are "harsh vocals"?
Now, I couldn't find a legitimate definitions on the term (or, maybe I'm just too lazy too), but what it consists of is the usage of growls, screams, etc. while "singing" (per se).

Why use "harsh vocals"?
Many reasons, actually. It really depends on the person. Some like it because of its ability to display emotions of anguish, pain, hatred, suffering, vengeance, etc; some like the sound of it; some can't sing, but can perform them; etc.

Why isn't this in the Popular Media section?
Because this isn't popular media. In fact, this has nothing to do with media. The idea of the thread is to discuss the act of "harsh vocals"..if one would like to mention a band/singer or like to a band/singer, they may do so, but the purpose in doing so shouldn't be just to talk about them, but to talk about their usage of the art, their technique, etc.

Purpose of this thread??
Oh..yeah. Forgot that...this. Has. To. Be. A. Thing.
Anyways, there are many purposes of this thread, so I'll list 'em in my favorite way possible! In an incoherent run-on sentence! (notreallyI'llactuallyjustmakealist)
1) To provide users that practice the art of Harsh Vocals a place to discuss the subject.
1-a) Their techniques and sound
1-b) The effect they are going for with their style
1-c) Ways to improve on their techniques
1-d) Bands/singers that implore the technique, and what they like and/or do not like about their usage/technique
1-e) etc.
2) To provide users that don't practice the art, but are interested in learning about the art, a place to gain knowledge.
2-a) Also a place to learn how to do it themselves
3) For all users to discuss the art, in general.
3-a) Self-explanatory.
4) To receive feedback on their style/technique
4-a) Describe your technique.
4-a-1) What sounds can you produce?
4-a-2) How do your achieve the sounds you produce?
4-b) Provide a video (link) to you performing "harsh vocals"
4-a-1) Make sure you can prove it is you.
4-a-1-a) Post something in the description that proves it is you.
4-a-1-b) Say something within the video that proves it is you.
4-a-1-c) The "somethings" will be provided upon request (either by myself or Mino).

What do we do now?
...post! Begin discussing, gain insight on the technique, whatever your heart's (appropriate) desire!
But remember to always (**cliche incoming**) rock on \\m//

• 50 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Finish the sentence, pang.

I was quoting him..that is how he started his sentence. He states it as if that has been his point the entire time.

Do it! Tweet me

Find me on twitter then =p

On a daily basis I catch myself doing harsh vocals for no reason

Same for me haha
I'll tell you what though..sometimes people become quite shocked when they hear a female doing harsh vocals XD
GandalftheGrey666
GandalftheGrey666
1,859 posts
Peasant

Find me on twitter then =p

Tough one, I tried to find you on Twitter, but I could't find anything.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

pang is a transvestite?

(You didn't hear that from me lol)

Anyway, I'm not too particular when it comes to screaming, growling, unclean, or other th

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Oops.

ANYWAY, I meant to say that the different types of harsh vocals are, in my mind, equally awesome, so pick your poison.

GandalftheGrey666
GandalftheGrey666
1,859 posts
Peasant

pang is a transvestite?

http://www.memes.at/generate/cereal_guy_spitting.jpg

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRx_2Kuzp2W73aE4ysdaH5b2iP7qikYA9bw_AKs89hWvAjXQYIN
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

pang is a transvestite?

I've heard rumors man! Maybe, I don't know. Hmm.... na. He's... non-tansvestial (yes I just made that up).

I'll tell you what though..sometimes people become quite shocked when they hear a female doing harsh vocals XD

I'd pay five hundred bucks to see that I swear.

Ok I learned something the hard way about harsh vocals, if you do harsh vocals and you are allergic to pollen, don't breathe threw your mouth during the Spring time or pollen season! I wound up with this nasty tickle in my throat and I sound like a screamo singer who can't do screamo.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

REVIVAL

A cute video has come my way..and I'd love to share it all with you.
6 year old does metal
Let's hope she grows up and finds herself in a good band!

-----

While listening to some songs..there is a sound of shouting/yell that I've heard a bit that has intrigued me. I would describe it like the screamer is on the last of his breath..maybe someone else can help with describing

Best example:
The back up vocalist/synth guy is that one I'm talking about..as well as when the singer does the higher pitched screams

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

6 year old does metal

She would do well in a metal band. The vocal technique not only has it's definition (which fits for black metal not screamo) but it's keys, which to be honest, to find at her age is incredible. She will do well in the future.

Best example:
The back up vocalist/synth guy is that one I'm talking about..as well as when the singer does the higher pitched screams

I don't like the lead vocalists technique. It has no keys. He hits only 1 or 2 keys, then the scream. There is no depth or length in the vocals. The backing vocalist is good though. He fills the void. Overall good song though.
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

6 year old does metal

Killersup enjoys metal, hardcore punk, post hardcore, and listens to them quite frequently. Is it bad that Killersup didn't really like the girl? he watched the video, and after about 30 seconds of listening to the girl he had enough. Yes, she has talent, but...just...not the kind of metal that Killersup likes to listen to? It just wasn't up to the par that Killersup was expecting from all the hype. Not really calling her bad as much as just not liking her.
OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

I just love the comment above mine.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

I just love the comment above mine.

You just got trolled by AG it's self. XD
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Oh snap =O Killer just got fooled!

Nilo did that on purpose, knowing that there wouldn't be a comment

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Nilo did that on purpose, knowing that there wouldn't be a comment

No. That is false. D:
OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

Uhh yeah, I totally did it on purpose :I

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

This song has nice harsh vocals in it. Though it doesn't have that pizzazz that I am looking for. Hard to find really good ones.

Lamb of God - Blacken The Cursed Sun

Showing 31-45 of 50