Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Marriage equality

Posted Apr 30, '13 at 6:54pm

Lanod

Lanod

28 posts

I'd like to hear everyones opinions about equal marriage right between gay and straight people.

Posted Apr 30, '13 at 7:00pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

9,761 posts

Posted May 2, '13 at 10:29pm

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,296 posts

Knight

Since the other thread is all the way back on page 4 or 5, I'll allow this thread. It's nice to get a fresh start on old topics sometimes.

I'm perfectly fine with marriage equality for homosexuals. I have no problem with it at all.

Posted May 2, '13 at 11:52pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

9,286 posts

Marriage between a gay and straight person would be a sight to see! It's been a while since I heard of couples who only have the commitment and mutual sides of Love. As for homosexual couples, I support the support of it completely!

Posted May 3, '13 at 1:25am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,477 posts

Read here

This is a completely different topic from that of the other thread; a question of freedom and legality instead of right or wrong.

I'm totally fine with legalizing equality.

Posted May 3, '13 at 1:28am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

9,761 posts

This is a completely different topic from that of the other thread; a question of freedom and legality instead of right or wrong.

I'm totally fine with legalizing equality.

But in the grand scheme of it all...for this subject at least..doesn't it end up being the same outcome? Arguing for why it is "good"/"right" end up being along the same general path as the arguments for it being legal. Same with people's reasons for being against it

Posted May 3, '13 at 1:37am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,305 posts

Knight

Arguing for why it is "good"/"right" end up being along the same general path as the arguments for it being legal. Same with people's reasons for being against it

Not quite. Many are ok with gays being gays, but not with them being married and adopting children. Although the arguments are similar, like it not being "normal" or not being the "correct" environment for children and all that humbug.

Kids adopted by gay parents grow up perfectly normally. So I see no reason against it.

Posted May 3, '13 at 1:42am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,477 posts

Arguing for why it is "good"/"right" end up being along the same general path as the arguments for it being legal. Same with people's reasons for being against it

Nope, it dodges most of that. People who are gay may already live together and do stuff privately, so a person's feelings/beliefs about how "strange" or "unnatural" it is are irrelevant to the right of a legal bond. It also skips right over the "they can't make kids" argument because that has nothng to do with marriage.

Posted May 3, '13 at 2:36am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

9,761 posts

Although the arguments are similar, like it not being "normal" or not being the "correct" environment for children and all that humbug.

Ah..ok. I think therein lies where my confusion came from

so a person's feelings/beliefs about how "strange" or "unnatural" it is are irrelevant to the right of a legal bond

That doesn't seem to stop some of them though *sigh*

It also skips right over the "they can't make kids" argument because that has nothng to do with marriage.

Same with my previous statement..it may not have anything to do with marriage..but they find a way to make it have everything to do with marriage

Posted May 3, '13 at 2:49am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,477 posts

That doesn't seem to stop some of them though *sigh*

They can express their views on that sort of thing, but that's not an argument against marriage. If that's their argument, it's for the other thread, not here. It's no different than if someone starts rambling scripture in a science thread.

but they find a way to make it have everything to do with marriage

And then they immediately get slapped with the elderly/infertile/platonic who want to get married. It's asinine.

Reply to Marriage equality

You must be logged in to post a reply!