Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

code block

Posted May 1, '13 at 3:15pm

weirdlike

weirdlike

714 posts

the Programming Forum is great for amateur programmers to discuss code but when I use the greater than or less than symbols it cuts the whole line out thinking it is some kind of forum code when in reality it is not

so I feel in addition to the Bold, Italic, Link, Image, and Quote buttons there should be a Code button as well

thank you for your time

Posted May 2, '13 at 2:30pm

jeol

jeol

3,987 posts

You can use < and > to get tags as such below:

<br />

Et cetera.

Posted May 2, '13 at 2:31pm

jeol

jeol

3,987 posts

Dang. Didn't work.

The codes are '& l t ;' and '& g t ;' without spaces or quotations.

Posted May 2, '13 at 5:30pm

weirdlike

weirdlike

714 posts

showing an example of a code is very case sensitive I cant just throw weird characters in there

Posted May 2, '13 at 6:23pm

jeol

jeol

3,987 posts

It's not a text version of a replacement... It's HTML code for less than and greater than signs, respectively, which take the appearance of those signs. Find and replace does wonders. It shows up less than and greater than signs, anyways.

Copying from the example into non-HTML-based editors will show up as actual less-than and greater-than signs, not the code. I don't think you'll have to worry about it.

Posted May 2, '13 at 11:11pm

weirdlike

weirdlike

714 posts

I personally feel that spending extra time trying to show something very simple is counter productive. Not only will I need to know html coding but the other has to know and understand it as well. It is a completely different area than simply programming a game in actionscript.

hey look I posted.....

oops made mistake another post....

crap I look like a noob now..... third post

I think you know what I mean

Posted May 3, '13 at 1:22am

jeol

jeol

3,987 posts

It's just two symbols, and it comes up as the signs, so unless the other person plans on typing examples as well, I don't think it would be incredibly complicated. All you have to remember, to get the < symbol, is to use an ampersand (&amp, abbreviated 'less than' (lt), and a semicolon (, and for the > symbol, an ampersand (&amp, abbreviated 'greater than' (gt), and a semicolon (. You could just copy the code in a text editor of sorts, and replace all '<' with '<', and all '>' with '>'. Then you can paste it on the forums and post it, and it should work and look alright.

Sorry if it seems overly complicated. I have a knack for making people confused, so I understand if you find it too much work for a self-fix.

Posted May 3, '13 at 9:54am

weirdlike

weirdlike

714 posts

no I fully understand what you are saying, did some research and yes It does work

But... if you look at this thread here you can see that we are conversing back n forth on different ways to approach the code. The point still gets across

This is what I am anticipating as a typical conversation in the programming section, But I guess we can tell every thirteen year old who want's to make games that he need;s to learn html and mix with code

Reply to code block

You must be logged in to post a reply!