ForumsWEPRUniverse:Never ending timelaps

24 4757
turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

I now that people think the universe never ends but i think that the universe is time and when you travel space and go way way far then you go back in time so it is a timelaps......

What are your opions

• 24 Replies
Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

That would be called a wormhole. Now I could look up more on the views of this, but I think the only way to really, "know," the answer is to go as far in the universe as we can go, but we know that our technology isn't advanced to go as far as going back in time.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

The original post made barely any sense to me...oh well.

Not all people think the universe is infinite by the way. A good number of people also think the the universe is indeed finite. It just keeps expanding until it gets too large and collapses back in on itself. Then starts the cycles all over again.

I kinda look at the whole idea like how Black and White 2 starts off. There are several universes, each existing apart from one another.

But I am not sure if any of this has much to do with the topic at hand. XD

eyetwitch
eyetwitch
737 posts
Shepherd

I think the debate between the two Infinite versus Finite is useless. As we will never get that far...and as such i haven't made an opinion. Although i think you might be crazy turret (jk)

homegrove
homegrove
325 posts
Peasant

Haha, what Devoidless said, I am not sure that turret's original statement even made sense. Would it not be strange though, if there were an infinite number of universes, each one exactly the same as another, except for one minor difference? (i.e. one person is married to a different person than they are in this universe)

DivineDarkness
DivineDarkness
1,226 posts
Nomad

Turret is saying its a giant circle, if you do go around the universe you would overlap yourself, which to me makes no sense (he told me himself in fact he is right next to me right now)

turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

Here is a better explaination

I think that the universe is time, if you go one way then you will go back in time and when i was talking to DD i was confusing myself but now i think that you can only go back in time not forward it time and if there is no end then how do we now there is no end so i am thinking were are a wormhole.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Well i have an inetersting addition to this topic. The further you are away from something the further light travels to your eyes and so for example when there is a supernova in another galaxy we see the resulting explosion millions of years after it has already happened. I would think it would be cool if we as humans could travle reallllly far away from earth with an extremely powerful telescope which could adjust its magnifying capabilities so we could see different parts of time on earthh. For example the police could use to investigate murders or something like that.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

so we could see different parts of time on earthh

Unfortunately Einstein's relativity, which seems to have some satellite-derived evidence going for it, has you covered: there is no way for us to witness an event that has already occurred as it would constitute a violation. This effectively lends strength to the way of thought of time as simply the perception of a succession of moments without regard to the concrete nature of sequence.

But while we're still on a pipe-dream, that *would* be cool
turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

you never know cause there is no proof to back up your thery strop

Mac_MK
Mac_MK
752 posts
Nomad

I don't think the Universe has a limit I think it goes forever, we will never know but we can keep guessing or thinking other things about it

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

I heard that in theory my idea could work but there are too many complications. However strop people are starting to question Einsteins theory. There is no doubt that e=mc2 is correct as it basiaclly means you can never reach the speed of light as the nearer you get to it the heavier the object gets. However his theory on the universe is one of the big picture relating to the big bang and the effect of gravity on all different solar systems and galaxies and the effect it has and how life began and how it ends. The theory of quantum physics is the other theory and is based on the extremely small. The effect of each particale atom and nano particle on each other and how they came into existence. Now some scientists are trying to combine the two theories as mathematical equations and balance them and form the complete theory of the very large and very small. So the idea could work but only if this happens. Sice Steven Hawkings has comne onboard and helped with research the project has made progress.

Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

it is a big mystery...........XD

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Really, turret?

Strong examples providing evidence for both special and general relativity. You'll note the reference in the question to my vague thought about satellite experiments.

However, if you want something more rigorous, this is the most complete source I can find. The current conclusions from the author of this page is that special-relativity is currently satisfactory, although there is the qualification that possibly violations of SR may exist on a quantum scale, which is not relevant to my claims above.

A list from an article on Wikipedia, though this article isn't as rigorous as it should be, so should be taken with a grain of salt, but between these two theories being incompatible with special relativity:

5. Clocks that are immune to time dilation. Again, this would require a new force not currently explained by the laws of physics.
6. Clocks which can record absolute time. Indeed, the concept of absolute time is philosophically inconsistent with Einstein's interpretation of special relativity.

My earlier point is made clearer.

So yeah, while I'm not saying this is proof, I've definitely got evidence backing up what I say.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Ahar, woody spotted it too:

However his theory on the universe is one of the big picture relating to the big bang and the effect of gravity on all different solar systems and galaxies and the effect it has and how life began and how it ends. The theory of quantum physics is the other theory and is based on the extremely small.

As I've said to turret just a few seconds ago, I'm not sure this would affect anything in the scope of this discussion seeing as far as I understand, the doubts here are not generalisable to the whole of relativity, let alone special relativity.
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Im not rele sure we can be sure tho strop as none of us are physicists but im just tying to think of ways that it could be true cos it would be pretty damn cool.

Showing 1-15 of 24