11,222 posts

Wait, so this is about abstraction?

Certainly.

Posted May 13, '13 at 3:33pm

Bronze

Bronze

2,454 posts

Alliteration!

This thread reminds me of a blog by Patrick Rothfuss. Basically, there isn't a word for when you think something is interesting, and nobody else does. Like when you find a fancy rock and try to point it out to your disinterested friends. What's my point? Good question.

Posted May 13, '13 at 7:24pm

StormWalker

StormWalker

8,182 posts

Like when you find a fancy rock and try to point it out to your disinterested friends. What's my point? Good question.

I can't say how many times something small and rather unintresting in retrospect has entertained me for long spans of time while everyone else around me goes "Storm, what are you doing to that leaf?" "It's not a leaf, it's part of the zombie leaf brigade!"
Again, this [this referring to the posts I've made here] all seems somewhat to do with my imagination, so maybe I'm counted out.
Also half the time I want to bang my head into the wall while re-reading the first post.

Posted May 13, '13 at 7:35pm

Gantic

Gantic

11,222 posts

There isn't any alliteration in the title. It is a repetition of P's, but it's a popping sissing-fuffinguffing popping.

Do you have a link to the blog?

Mildly relevant link in explaining things: "Can you explain a hard idea using only the ten hundred most used words?" (and the related xkcd).

Box is one of the 1000 most used words, but can you explain what a box is using those 1000 words without using the word box?

Posted May 13, '13 at 10:26pm

Bronze

Bronze

2,454 posts

Oops, I just saw the P's.

Here's the blog. [url]http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2012/06/me-me-me-memes/[/url].

Posted May 14, '13 at 1:18am

Reton8

Reton8

2,979 posts

This is starting to remind me of trying to describe colors to people who have been born blind.

Mildly relevant link in explaining things: "Can you explain a hard idea using only the ten hundred most used words?"

Thanks to some ambiguity in the description:
"A hard idea is an idea that is not easily understood. "
(But that really wasn't what they were getting at.)

Reply to Reinventing the Word: A Pointless Pseudo-Philosophical Pondering

You must be logged in to post a reply!