ForumsGamesHalo or Cod?

48 8542
Manthetheo
Manthetheo
6 posts
Peasant

Personally, I would go with Halo. I did grow up with it and it has been with me along time. But what about you?

• 48 Replies
ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

Cod.

I love eating cod.

EndlessMarrow
EndlessMarrow
60 posts
Nomad

Halo was alright but the so-called call of duty franchise is making money over their copy-pasted games, a bandwagon full of hateful and severely paranoid fan base that will just bash at any game regardless if that game is good or not.

Call of Duty is a financial gimmick

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

Call of Duty is copy-pasted and Halo hasn't also been for ages? Newsflash: "space marines in powered armor" is just as tired as "gritty modern army shooter". We're comparing two massive cancers on the industry's creativity.

And I'll have to say CoD, because Modern Warfare actually was a fantastic, smart game the first time around.

Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

Both games are "decent" so to say but I'm not a huge fan of companies that don't really appeal to their Gamers, and just try to mass produce and make money. Halo Warcraft and the Call Of Duty series just seems like some mediocre games that somehow lure people into playing them. They are mainly just a way of getting more money to Activision and Microsoft.

If you want to look a real developer that calls to their customers and has great service then look at Valve. People have been playing Team Fortress 2 for years and then they went and made it free to everyone. Its a great game and has lots of content in it. And you only need to make one purchase in the shop to be able to find free items. Unless you paid for it when it came out (me) . Also team Fortress 2 is always being updated and Valve actually cares about the community and they put community weapons in the game. Achievements are also added around certain events. Also the fact that there are items and weapons related to seasons. And then the rivalry's are cool such the DemoMan and the Soldier.
The characters are humorous and the game is not hard to get into. And the new content keeps things fresh.

Also Valve created steam which is the best gaming store out there. They are safe and Secure. Peoples accounts won't get hacked and you won't be ripped off.

Halo: eh the first one was truly good for its time. It brought new ideas that other games hadn't seen and GearBox helped with part of it. The other Halos just reuse the same concepts and don't provide much new input or details. Microsoft should just work out those crappy Windows 8 problems and Making a new Xbox

Call of Duty is a bit better than Halo especially because you don't need an Xbox to play it. Call of Duty is fun and at least they come out with new content every year. The thing that blows is that you have to buy a new game every time Call of Duty gets any new ideas. I've only ever bought one Call of Duty and that is MW2. I just liked all the maps and I like the perks and the fact that you actually unlocked them instead of buying them. BUt i have never bought another call of Duty and probably never will unless they create some mind blowing awesome game but I doubt it. I do like going over to my friends house and having Lan parties on COD. But I don't like playing halo on multiplayer its just too unrealistic and annoying.
If Halo had anything better than Call of Duty it would be the fact that Halo can play the whole Campaign with your friends

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

Why, Microsoft and Activision do try to appeal to their gaming audience.
That's the whole problem, people keep wanting to buy the same games, people get attached to series rather than understanding they have to be tied up; so it's far smarter for publishers, financially, not to risk putting out new IPs and concepts and just dressing everything up in the same marketable FPS package.
That's why we get a thousand million COD and Halo games and clones a year. Risky would be putting out something people might not like. These games are tried and true and fans cry out for sequels and measure other games after them.

Crickster
Crickster
1,795 posts
Blacksmith

team fortress 2 is better than both CoD and halo

Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

This guy -------------------------------^^^
Hehehe

If by appeal then yeah they do make games that are fun but in a sense they don't really listen to people or create new content. They just try to get more money

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

Of course they listen to people. Only a small part of the community decries these games for the pits of compromise and blandness they are. The fanboys and casuals just want more.

And the publisher's goal is the same as any other company, which is to make money, so it's logical they'll make what sells and avoid messing with a winning team.

d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

And the publisher's goal is the same as any other company, which is to make money, so it's logical they'll make what sells and avoid messing with a winning team.

At least developers aren't like that. Bungie didn't continue their contract with Microsoft although they easily could have. And now we have Destiny.
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

I doubt leaving Microsoft was something Bungie did out of pure nobility and free-spiritedness. But who knows why they did it.
And they're probably getting better contracts out there, and getting to keep intellectual rights to the new stuff they develop, whereas Halo pretty much belongs to Microsoft.

EndlessMarrow
EndlessMarrow
60 posts
Nomad

I personally believe that the less appreciated games such as Far Cry, Blacklight Tango Down and Arcade FPS might be able to replace Call of Duty or Halo in the near future. Call of Duty Revolves around a silly concept called "the formula" which is basically taking bits and pieces out of a previous game then having it altered to see how fans react, i was not happy when they made hardcore mode have attachments and killstreaks for black ops 2 and MW3.

Halo didn't dominate the First person Shooter with just old school shooting playstyle instead they bother to innovate a lot into Graphics, story telling and even balanced multiplayer.

So what can you really do about it.

Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

I doubt leaving Microsoft was something Bungie did out of pure nobility and free-spiritedness. But who knows why they did it.

Actually joining Microsoft was something they did really want to do in the first place. They had to recall a bad game that they made and they were in the crapper. Activision and Microsoft both tried to buy out Bungie when they were going down. They turned down Activision and was bought by Microsoft. Then they left microsoft and went with a 10 year contract with Activision that gives them intellectual property rights.
Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

*Didnt

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

Call of Duty Revolves around a silly concept called "the formula" which is basically taking bits and pieces out of a previous game then having it altered to see how fans react
Again, LIKE HALO DOESN'T DO THE EXACT SAME THING

Halo didn't dominate the First person Shooter with just old school shooting playstyle instead they bother to innovate a lot into Graphics
Not really. Halo isn't pushing the graphical envelope any more than any other triple-A shooter out there - especially seen as it's a console-only series and thus bound by the XBox's limitations. You want a game that melts computers and redefines graphical standards, look at the Crysis series.

story telling

lol no. Space marines fighting aliens! How innovative. BioShock innovates storytelling in games, Heavy Rain innovates storytelling in games, Spec Ops: The Line innovates storytelling in games, Halo is average. In fact, you know what's a game that managed great things in the story department? CoD: Modern Warfare.

even balanced multiplayer.
There's nothing remarkable about Halo's multiplayer compared to other triple-A shooters.

Then they left microsoft and went with a 10 year contract with Activision that gives them intellectual property rights.
I'm not quite sure how they can just leave Microsoft, being bought by them and all. It's a strange situation to me.
d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

I'm not quite sure how they can just leave Microsoft, being bought by them and all.

Bungie had a contract with Microsoft which is now over. Microsoft also owns Halo, but that doesn't mean that it owns Bungie.
Showing 1-15 of 48