Forums

ForumsVideo Games

Halo or Cod?

Posted May 14, '13 at 11:05pm

JeffK3

JeffK3

292 posts

I think Bungie made a smart move in leaving microsoft, but now Halo isn't as fun as it was.

On terms of which is better, Halo or CoD, I feel they both have become worse overtime. And if I had to choose between the two games, I would pick CoD because it did customization better. And there is no restriction on the items you can equip.

If we talk about campaign though, it depends on who made the CoD. If treyarch made the game then Halo wins without a doubt, but if Infinity ward makes it, the CoD campaign wins.

Overall, I believe we are seeing the fall of two gaming giants, CoD and Halo, and they aree giving way to previously less popular games like Battlefield and Borderlands.

Posted May 15, '13 at 5:21am

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

I doubt leaving Microsoft was something Bungie did out of pure nobility and free-spiritedness. But who knows why they did it.
And they're probably getting better contracts out there, and getting to keep intellectual rights to the new stuff they develop, whereas Halo pretty much belongs to Microsoft.

Posted May 15, '13 at 10:37am

EndlessMarrow

EndlessMarrow

60 posts

I personally believe that the less appreciated games such as Far Cry, Blacklight Tango Down and Arcade FPS might be able to replace Call of Duty or Halo in the near future. Call of Duty Revolves around a silly concept called "the formula" which is basically taking bits and pieces out of a previous game then having it altered to see how fans react, i was not happy when they made hardcore mode have attachments and killstreaks for black ops 2 and MW3.

Halo didn't dominate the First person Shooter with just old school shooting playstyle instead they bother to innovate a lot into Graphics, story telling and even balanced multiplayer.

So what can you really do about it.

Posted May 15, '13 at 1:22pm

Mr_Sand

Mr_Sand

687 posts

I doubt leaving Microsoft was something Bungie did out of pure nobility and free-spiritedness. But who knows why they did it.

Actually joining Microsoft  was something they did really want to do in the first place. They had to recall a bad game that they made and they were in the crapper. Activision and Microsoft both tried to buy out Bungie when they were going down. They turned down Activision and was bought by Microsoft. Then they left microsoft and went with a 10 year contract with Activision that gives them intellectual property rights.

Posted May 15, '13 at 1:23pm

Mr_Sand

Mr_Sand

687 posts

*Didnt

Posted May 15, '13 at 2:13pm

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

Call of Duty Revolves around a silly concept called "the formula" which is basically taking bits and pieces out of a previous game then having it altered to see how fans react

Again, LIKE HALO DOESN'T DO THE EXACT SAME THING

Halo didn't dominate the First person Shooter with just old school shooting playstyle instead they bother to innovate a lot into Graphics

Not really. Halo isn't pushing the graphical envelope any more than any other triple-A shooter out there - especially seen as it's a console-only series and thus bound by the XBox's limitations. You want a game that melts computers and redefines graphical standards, look at the Crysis series.

story telling

lol no. Space marines fighting aliens! How innovative. BioShock innovates storytelling in games, Heavy Rain innovates storytelling in games, Spec Ops: The Line innovates storytelling in games, Halo is average. In fact, you know what's a game that managed great things in the story department? CoD: Modern Warfare.

even balanced multiplayer.

There's nothing remarkable about Halo's multiplayer compared to other triple-A shooters.

Then they left microsoft and went with a 10 year contract with Activision that gives them intellectual property rights.

I'm not quite sure how they can just leave Microsoft, being bought by them and all. It's a strange situation to me.

Posted May 15, '13 at 3:22pm

d_dude

d_dude

1,768 posts

I'm not quite sure how they can just leave Microsoft, being bought by them and all.

Bungie had a contract with Microsoft which is now over. Microsoft also owns Halo, but that doesn't mean that it owns Bungie.

Posted May 15, '13 at 3:36pm

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

Bungie had a contract with Microsoft which is now over. Microsoft also owns Halo, but that doesn't mean that it owns Bungie.

My understanding was that Microsoft bought the company.

Posted May 15, '13 at 4:28pm

Mr_Sand

Mr_Sand

687 posts

I think the thing I can't stand the most about Halo is how they just dropped the PC aspect of it. I mean you'd think that MIcrosoft would at least have their games on the PC seeing as how they made Windows and everything. Thats just plain arrogant to make a game only for their console that was doing great on the PC and Xbox. I am a PC gamer and I pulled away from the Xbox because it isn't really that great of a system anyway. The PS3 titles and Exclusive content is great. I figured that because I played Halo 1 on the PC that maybe, just maybe the other games would be on the PC too nope ****.
At least Call of Duty is on every console and on the PC so everyone can play it.

Halo 1 may have set the standard for futuristic shooters but it certainly didn't raise the bar on its own games. Halo is pretty much the same drab game and not really replayable. And its not even like I have a biased opinion. I played Halo I played Halo 3 because lets face it I wasn't going to get the Original xbox just to play Halo 2 because it looked horrible compared to the ps2 and ps3.
I went through and beat halo 3 and I got all the Skulls and no I wasn't going to bother trying it on legendary because that is pointless.

Posted May 15, '13 at 4:44pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

I prefer the genre Halo exhibits, as opposed to the army genre.

Reply to Halo or Cod?

You must be logged in to post a reply!