ForumsWEPRA new look at religion (refreshing or depressing you decide)

41 13480
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

I've thought about religion alot lately and beleive I have learned few things
"God didn't create man, man created God" Bonus points if you recognize the quote.Back to my point I do beleive that quote to be true in one sense or another, what I beleive is that god is a fictional character created in the place of the all powerfull hand of fate that guides the way of the universe and It's inhabitants.You see this thing that we invision to be an all powerfull entity is really just a tangible form of something to complex to comprehend so we create this Idol in our heads to put everything together, to explain mystery and excite wonder.To sum up this lesson all things are one and we envision it as such and we call it a god.One last thing about the "everything is one" line.Lock your fingers together and tell me were one hand ends and the other begins.Please feal free to critisize I just wanted to know what people would think about this.

• 41 Replies
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

Just to bring up a point about Religion even though it has nothing to do with my original point.Abraham had to children one founded Jewdism the other Islam.Christianity sprung from jewdism. According to this little lesson we are all children of abraham. If you beleive something else some other religion can identify with you I am pretty sure for example. Buddism, Wicka, and beleif in the great one encourage patience, respect, kindness, and respect of nature

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

Revisionist history at it's best. So let's see, the story has Jesus born in a Jewish culture, but he's Muslim? Unless you're using muslim as a literal word meaning "one who submits to God" but given the term usually is reference to an adherent to Islam (A form of Abrahamic religion that didn't even exist until the 7th century and couldn't have since it revolves around the inclusion of the Quran) No they wouldn't have been.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_in_Islam
Quote from wikipedia
"Isa ( Arabic: عÙسÙ, Transliteration: ʿĪsÄ ), known as Jesus in the New Testament, is considered to be a Messenger of God and the Masih (Messiah) in Islam[1] who was sent to guide the Children of Israel (banÄ« isrÄ'Ä«l) with a new scripture, the InjÄ«l or Gospel.[2] The belief in Jesus (and all other messengers of God) is required in Islam, and a requirement of being a Muslim. The Quran mentions Jesus by name twenty-five times, while it only mentions Muhammad by name four times as Muhammad and once as Ahmad; making it a total of five times.[3][4] It states that Jesus was born to Mary (Arabic: Maryam) as the result of virginal conception, a miraculous event which occurred by the decree of God (Arabic: Allah). To aid in his ministry to the Jewish people, Jesus was given the ability to perform miracles (such as healing the blind, bringing dead people back to life, etc.), all by the permission of God rather than of his own power. According to the Quran, Jesus, although appearing to have been crucified, was not killed by crucifixion or by any other means, instead, "God raised him unto Himself". Like all prophets in Islam, Jesus is considered a Muslim (i.e., one who submits to the will of God), as he preached that his followers should adopt the "straight path" as commanded by God."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophets_of_Islam
"Muslims identify the prophets of Islam (Arabic: اÙÙبÙØ© Ù٠اÙإسÙاÙ...â) as those humans who were assigned a special mission by God to guide humans. Muslims believe that every prophet was given a belief to worship God and their respective followers believed it as well.[1] Each prophet, in Muslim belief, preached the same main belief, The Oneness of the Divine Creator, worshiping of that One God, avoidance of idolatry and sin, and the belief in the Day of Resurrection. Each came to preach Islam at different times in history and some told of the coming of the final prophet and messenger of God, who would be named "Ahmad" commonly known as Muhammad. Each prophet directed a message to a different group of people, and thus would preach Islam in accordance with the times."
You really want to teach me my religion?
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

The problem with this statement is rather simple: it's a flawed attempt to make Islam appear stronger than what it really is. If Jesus was a Muslim, then how do you explain the apostles? If Moses was Muslim, then why didn't his successors teach the Islamic doctrine. You claim your morality is objective, but there are clear examples of clashing morality. How do you get around this flaw?

Their followers got corrupted by the passage of time.
In time, only names of those religions remained, everything else changed.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Over the centuries Allah or God sent different holy books to each prophet of his and the last one,the Quran is the perfected one

not the one from Joseph Smith? (mormonism)
it's still the same god but a new book
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_in_Islam
Quote from wikipedia

Yeah I had looked at it, all it's saying is Muslims believe X. It doesn't validate that belief.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/MageGrayWolf/atheistjokes/religion_pngaebd9899-e348-409b-ad53-a83b71cb00f7.jpg
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

OK magegraywolf I love that thing you posted but it has nothing at all to do with this and people keep saying I'm atheist but i'm not when I say god is fictional i'm saying religion is like a movie that's "based on a true story" and that the real story is to deep and complicated to put into the short 2 hour movie just like the thing we invision to be a god is the same way to the human mind.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

OK magegraywolf I love that thing you posted but it has nothing at all to do with this

it was only generally related to the relationship between the Abrahamic religions and how the Muslims are claiming dominion over all in this thread.

people keep saying I'm atheist but i'm not when I say god is fictional i'm saying religion is like a movie that's "based on a true story" and that the real story is to deep and complicated to put into the short 2 hour movie just like the thing we invision to be a god is the same way to the human mind.

Atheism only deal with a single aspect, the lack of belief in a god. In other words if your answer to "Does any god exist?" is anything other than yes, you're an atheist.

What it seems you are saying here is that god does exist, but every concept we have of god is wrong. But what reason do we have to believe it's "based on a true story" if we don't have the truth to work from to begin with?
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

eah I had looked at it, all it's saying is Muslims believe X. It doesn't validate that belief.

Are you saying that I am lying?
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Islam had been created when the first human beings came

Uh, no. Islam was created when the Islamic prophet Mohammad said he'd spoken to God. It is also believed that this happened (according to Islams anyway) after the formation of the Jewish and Christian religions. Mohammad was believed to live a few decades after Jesus' death, I think.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

Uh, no. Islam was created when the Islamic prophet Mohammad said he'd spoken to God. It is also believed that this happened (according to Islams anyway) after the formation of the Jewish and Christian religions. Mohammad was believed to live a few decades after Jesus' death, I think

We muslims believe that every prophet, since Adam has preached Islam(or their version of it, with same core principles but diiferent secondary laws) and Muhammad(SAW) was last of the 124000 prophets.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I'm quite sure this is what you believe is true. I just don't see it as a valid belief.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

I'm sure you think you are telling the truth. Like my brother used to say "everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it is wrong."

You also claim that god sent the knowledge to make the bible, but the Quran is the perfected holy book. If that is the case, why didn't god just send the knowledge to make the Quran much earlier and avoid all of the hassle of having believers not practice their worship correctly?

The only thing that would make this logical is the assertion in the back of my head saying the Quran, like the bible and every holy book in existence, is a man made entity.

-Blade
NEC001
NEC001
14 posts
Peasant

Atheism only deal with a single aspect, the lack of belief in a god. In other words if your answer to "Does any god exist?" is anything other than yes, you're an atheist.

So what do you think about Buddhism? it is a way of life, even though you can say that Siddhartha Gautama (aka the Buddha) is the "god", it is a way of life. But it is considered a religion. So are you an atheist if you believe in Buddhism since it is a way of life?
Feel free to point out anything wrong, sort of new to the forums.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

So what do you think about Buddhism? it is a way of life, even though you can say that Siddhartha Gautama (aka the Buddha) is the "god", it is a way of life. But it is considered a religion. So are you an atheist if you believe in Buddhism since it is a way of life?

Buddhism is considered a religion..but what Mage is pointing out is just the belief or disbelief in a deity and how your answers dictates your stance on if you are an atheist or not. You can follow the Buddhist path and still be an atheist.

Feel free to point out anything wrong, sort of new to the forums.

You're fine ^_^

In other words if your answer to "Does any god exist?" is anything other than yes, you're an atheist.

Does any god exist?
Maybe, maybe not. I don't know

Don't forget us agnostics!
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Does any god exist?
Maybe, maybe not. I don't know

Don't forget us agnostics!

agnosticism deals with knowledge, not belief. Being agnostic/gnostic and being atheist/theist are not mutually exclusive positions.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-q2d4A4N5arw/TmEoB9jCjOI/AAAAAAAAC5k/daRnstnWPJE/Agnostic%252520v%252520Gnostic%252520v%252520Atheist%252520v%252520Theist.png
Showing 16-30 of 41