Forums

ForumsVideo Games

XBox Reveal Thread

Posted May 21, '13 at 5:21pm

KentyBK

KentyBK

555 posts

Figured I'd start a thread on this, because why the heck not. So Microsoft has, as of today, officially revealed the new XBox (complete with a ******* name rivalling the Wii U).

Here's a recording of the revealing conference.

Personally, I'll wait a bit for the internet to calm down, but what I'm seeing so far doesn't really make me especially hopeful for the future.

Posted May 21, '13 at 6:51pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,582 posts

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7rxk5rzHaGEaRFKHOd7DD-eVvh-eGCG3UVELcueCDal3laAdv

I'm glad they are bringing back the first X-Box

Posted May 21, '13 at 7:21pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

Seems the "young adult" demographic is, for the most part, pretty indifferent or even pessimistic towards the next generation. Sure, the Wii U wasn't a great innovation or amazing or even lived up to its expectations, but who's to say the PS4 and/or the Xbox One won't? We know hardly anything about the two systems because the media overhypes the unimportant stuff* and, frankly, we haven't actually seen either of them for real. We just need to wait.

*Microsoft said it'll have a bunch of transistors. They're overhyping the system by alluding to the idea that it's powerful by having a bunch of transistors. A lot of transistors isn't that remarkable.

I'm glad they are bringing back the first X-Box

lol.

Posted May 21, '13 at 7:37pm

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

Neither console seems to be that powerful. This generation isn't going to be as meaningful a graphical leap as the last one. I guess this has to do with the consoles focusing so much on non-gaming features. The XBox One seems to be a living room entertainment box that just so happens to also be a console. We can probably expect something similar from the PS4.

To be quite honest, I think I'll sit back and build myself a gaming PC this generation. I'll have to do without InFamous and Little Big Planet and whatnot.

Posted May 22, '13 at 2:55am

partydevil

partydevil

5,097 posts

seriously? XBOX one? do they deny ever releasing the 1st box and the x360?
why is it so square? had the design department a vacation or something?

I think I'll sit back and build myself a gaming PC this generation.

give it 3 or 4 year after 1st release. then the prize is dropped to about 300/500. ;)

Posted May 22, '13 at 8:09am

KentyBK

KentyBK

555 posts

We know hardly anything about the two systems because the media overhypes the unimportant stuff* and, frankly, we haven't actually seen either of them for real. We just need to wait.

There's been more than enough coverage on the more important aspects of the console by now. And that is why people are upset. Microsoft doesn't help the issue by being incredibly vague about absolutely everything even though the whole point was to unveil their console.

If anything, Microsoft took the expectations people had (of an uber Kinect-box that is) and just made it that much worse.

From what we know so far:
- It's not backwards compatible. That includes all XBox Live Arcade purchases which you can't take with you.
- It requires Kinect to the point where it'll not function without it. Supposedly you can't turn off the microphone either.
- It needs to connect to the internet approximately every24 hours. You're also need to connect every time you start up a game for the first time.
- It requires you to install every game on the harddrive, regardless of it being a disc game or not.
- It seems to tie the games to your account, so you can no longer lend games to a friend without them using your account. Unless they pay a fee to unlock it.
- We don't know how this applies to used games so far, because Microsoft is keeping quiet on their plans for now.

Which all adds up to a few solid reasons why I'm going to pass on this one.

Posted May 22, '13 at 11:28am

Loptice

Loptice

215 posts

It just looked extremly unprepared. They haven't shown any exclusive games and they apparently still don't know about Xbox one's features (some members of Microsoft said you don't have to be always online some members said exactly opposite thing).
They should have just waited till E3.

Posted May 22, '13 at 11:44am

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

give it 3 or 4 year after 1st release. then the prize is dropped to about 300/500. ;)

And miss out on three years of great games? I could build myself a respectable gaming PC right now that surpasses these consoles, without their bull****. And have access to online distribution services and titles I could never get on them. Maybe I will buy the lowest-end PS4 when it's way cheaper, later on, to play some exclusives, but that's the most I'll do. But I'll give the PS4 a chance to impress me still. This XBox hasn't.

Posted May 22, '13 at 12:36pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,582 posts

Microsoft took the expectations people had (of an uber Kinect-box that is)

A Kinect-box? Who the hell was wanting that?

Posted May 22, '13 at 1:25pm

KentyBK

KentyBK

555 posts

Nobody was. Just because people expected them to doesn't mean they necessarily like the idea. ;P
But Microsoft's plans for an improved Kinect have been known for a while now.

Reply to XBox Reveal Thread

You must be logged in to post a reply!